“Good but could be better”

DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing
Ranked #238 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Good but could be better”
Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and myself have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel.
No problems with checkin/ checkout, the staff really are so friendly&attentive,they can't do enough.
Breakfast is a choice of full English- highly recommended- or continental.
We weren't so impressed with dinner,although you expect to pay slightly more in a hotel it really is overpriced for what you get.
The problems we found lie in the rooms.
Our room had no working air con or heating and no attempt to get it worked solved the problem. We couldn't keep the window open to get round this as there was loud music booming from a room somewhere else in the hotel.
The rooms in general seem quite dated and in need of brightening up.
However I'm told the hotel is in the process of being refurbished and is indeed to become part of the Hilton chain. This is a very positive step and with the right refurbishment I see a bright future for this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Very nice hotel if you don't want to stay in the centre. Relatively spacious rooms, very good breakfast, easy access to the centre with the Picadilly and District lines, Station two minutes away. Friendly stuff, I would like especially to thank Anjali at the reception, who helped me several times! If only they had Wi-fi in the rooms...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
RLEIK, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Dear Katia S

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from our guests. I am happy to note that you enjoyed your stay at The London Ealing Hotel.

Please be assured that your comments will be shared with the team.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Ilhan Kose
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Staying here for the weekend for a wedding.before arriving as usual I check the reviews on here to see what previous guests have to say about the hotel but from experience also know that everybody's expectations are very different.check in was quick the room was ready and the staff very pleasant,happy and professional.I stayed in room 218 which was clean and tidy if a bit dated but I understand the hotel is undergoing refurbishment and expect this to change.saying that I mostly only ever use a hotel to sleep,shower and change and I am not to bothered by decoration.I had an evening meal in the hotel restaurant which was beautiful and overheard a few people say how lovely the food was.the service was excellent and staff brilliant.the breakfast was of a good select fruits,cereal,cooked and was good.just help yourself everything to set you up for the day.again the staff were brilliant.one young member of staff asked what I was doing that day.she offered directions and advice for the day which was much appreciated.I think staff that take the time to converse with are friendly to and have good local knowledge are an asset to any hotel.I have one more night to stay at the hotel but so far am so pleased I wanted to put a review on here now.thank you to all the staff its a big thumbs up from me. Steve.c

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Stevec40

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay.

Please be assured that your comments will be shared with the team.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Ilhan Kose
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 29 September 2012

It's is actually not such a bad hotel. Perhaps the rooms could do with a bit of refreshing, particularly in the bathrooms which are starting to look tired. However, the communal areas are pleasant enough, the staff are friendly, and the breakfast is fine.

Not so fine was the clientele when I stayed there in late September. There was a very large, out-of-control group of young Italian students. I started my evening after dinner by sitting in the quiet bar area for a drink. A few minutes later, the entire area was swamped by this group and their adult leaders. They didn't order any food or have anything to drink. They just grabbed all the available chairs and dragged them across into a huge huddle. The TV which I was watching was quickly appropriated and the Italian football was put on.

Then when I went off to bed, I barely managed to get 5 minutes of sleep at a time, the youngsters running riot all over the hotel, showing absolutely no respect or consideration for other guests. When I complained on check-out, I was told that they were over for a short course and would be leaving soon.

Unfortunately the hotel showed that they were unable to manage a situation where they are housing such groups together with individual business travellers, and I would be unwilling to take the risk of staying here in the future.

When staying at a hotel with business meetings the following day, a good night's sleep is the absolute minimum that I demand, and the London Ealing Hotel cannot guarantee me that.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rybblevalley
RLEIK, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear Rybblevalley

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay.

The London Ealing Hotel has always prided itself in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim is guest satisfaction and quality delivery. We do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

I am sorry to note that you were not satisfied with your overall stay especially with the student group staying at the hotel. I would like to assure that every effort was made on part of the hotel to communicate to the Teachers to ensure minimum disturbance. I am afraid the effort we put in was not enough specially that you were disturbed by them and I sincerely apologise for this and would like to assure that we have reviewed our decision when it comes to taking such groups.

Over the next 8 months the hotel is going to go through an exciting time of development and major refurbishment resulting in a re-brand to Double Tree by Hilton in May 2013.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you again and kindly ask you to drop me an email when you next stay with us so that I can make it up further to you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The London Ealing Hotel in the near future.

Anupreet Jeetun
Front Office Manager
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Where to begin! I booked an 'executive' room with a third party website and when I checked in was sent to room 333. A very pleasant room, spacious and well appointed. I had just got out of the shower when I had a call from reception informing me I had been put in a family room by mistake and I would have to move as there was a family that needed the room. I am generally a very obliging person so agreed to move and duly collected the key to my new 'executive' room. When I got to the other room there was already someone in it, a single guy travelling alone, who informed me he was waiting to be transferred to room 333. Interesting? This room, 138, was by no stretch of the imagination anything like an executive room but I was on business and in a rush to go out with colleagues so as I was only there one night chose to 'live with it'. When I got back later that evening I discovered no tea or coffee making facilities so called down to reception to report this. They brought me a kettle but nothing else so I had to send them back to get the remainder of the items needed, i.e A CUP!!! I also had to ask them to get the bunch of kids in the rooms surrounding mine to keep the noise down as they seemed to get much amusement from running room to room and slamming doors. I personally also had to tell them twice, it didn't stop until 1am! During all of this there wasn't a single apology or recognition of their mistake. Truly shocking hotel and even worse staff. I wish I could say the buffet breakfast made up for the shoddy room and lack of sleep but I can't. It was dire! I even mentioned this on check out only to be met with black expressions so gave up, perhaps it was their lack of understanding of the english language. Never again!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Bristle_Flyer
Dear Bristle_flyer

Thank you for you feedback regarding your stay at the London Ealing Hotel.

We apologise that your experience here was less than satisfying and would kindly request you to make contact with me so that we can make it up further to you.

Anupreet Jeetun

Front Office Manager
london
Reviewed 25 September 2012

A hideous place on the North Circular. Overpriced, souless. The bedrooms are standard international fare, anonymous, but ugly with it. Mattresses are uncomfortable. The bar downstairs has distracting TVs everywhere, PLUS piped music. I saw a man, clearly at his wit's end with jangling music and noise pummelling him, yank a wire out of a speaker, for some blessed relief, a small act of individualism in a corporate wasteland. Few here are paying out of their own pockets, and if they are they are being cruelly ripped off. Bar prices are absurd. The 'standard' rate quoted for a pokey bedroom was £160 per night! The restaurant is bleak and spartan and ill-lit. Some of the staff relieve the Stalinist grimness of this concrete bunker, with an attempt at charm, occassionally successful. Only boy scouts, used to discomfort, or the myopic or deaf should spend a night in a place where incessant traffic noise is almost preferable to musak.

Room Tip: There is no such thing as 'a good room'.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo