“Our stay got have been better”

DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing
Ranked #249 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Our afternoon check in was laboured. We were not alone in waiting at the desk at which there was only one person attending to guests. There was another man behind the desk but he seemed more preoccupied with strutting about. Eventually I had to show our reservation to the 'solo' worker as he had difficulty in understanding that I had a reservation. When I asked him for confirmation of various points re carparking he didn't even address the question and I had to tell him that I was asking a question to get him to concentrate. Perhaps he'd had a busy time and was tired.

Our room was super - clean with everything that we'd need. One major issue, however, was that the window was missing a catch to the extent that it couldn't be completely soundproofed from traffic noise. Pity we only discovered this upon returning to the hotel late and attempting to close the window. Sleep was not forthcoming - more a nocturnal doze.

Breakfast was just right as indeed was our departure. I would be prepared to use this hotel again (just a few minutes walk from Ealing Common tube station) but would encourage training for reception staff - a smile would not go amiss. The young man manning the desk at night can smile - his colleagues need to follow his example. Also the window in room 429 needs attention.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
RLEIK, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Ilhan Kose

Write a ReviewReviews (2,022)

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Pulled up outside and thought, 'what have we done...' It's old fashioned on the outside with all the building mess and scaffolding. Once we got to reception we requested a room on 4/5 floor (thanks to the trip advisor review) the room was beautiful! Very modern, quite small but new coffee machine, new bathroom (but NO BATH!) and nice big tv! There was no instructions for the air con so was red hot!! The evening meal was nice! And breakfast was everything you could of asked for. Few min walk from the tube station as was ideal for our trip to London! Think this hotel will be beautiful when finished, staff were friendly!

Room Tip: Ask for 5th or 4th floor!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
RLEIK, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from our guests. I am happy to note that overall you enjoyed your stay at The London Ealing Hotel.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

This lovely hotel was 2 minutes from the tube station and a few nice pubs. The hotel staff could not do enough for us and the manager was lovely. We went out for our evening meal but the breakfast went on for ever...so much to eat! I would recommend this hotel to couples, singles and families.

• Stayed: June 2012

Reviewed 1 February 2013

Yes, the place is undergoing refurbishment at the moment, but aside from that the hotel is an ideal place to stay. The staff are so polite and friendly. The recently completed rooms are very nice. The breakfast choice is ideal, not that i ever make it past the full english.
The heating has also caused us a problem in the past, but we were moved to another room (at 3am), without having to ask. All in all, it suits the wife and I to stay here and we have no reason to look elsewhere for our frequent stays in London.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 January 2013

We stayed here on a Groupon deal & do have issues with what Groupon sold us ie they didn't warn us that the hotel is currently a building site. That said, we were given one of the re-furbished rooms & the only fault we could say is that it was way too hot... and being new there were no instructions for the air conditioning. However, after mentioning this to the receptionist in the morning, this was rectified for our 2nd night. The room was beautifully & comfortably furnished with a lovely big walk-in shower. There was even a coffee maker as well as a kettle.

There was no getting away from the fact that there is a lot of work going on. Our room was on the 4th floor - just above the workmen. When we checked in we were told that their hours were 9am - 6pm but they're not. They were drilling from 8am on our 2nd day. Also the restaurant was closed so meals were in the function room. This is also an issue as our deal included a 3 course meal & the hotel is not offering a table d'hote menu at the moment just food off the bar menu. We were told that as the value of the table d'hote was £22, we could order to this value from the Bar Menu.... this is not acceptable as it is not possible to have 3 courses within this price range (& there was very little on offer, anyway) When I pointed out that our deal stated 3 courses not "to the value of...", the restaurant manager did back down. However, it's probably best not to try having an evening meal there just yet. Breakfasts, however, were really good and we couldn't fault any of the hotel staff who were pleasant & cheerful despite the difficult conditions they were working in.

So - at the moment, the hotel is a mixed bag. Definitely ask for a refurbished room but be prepared for disruption until it's all finished in about March. However, from what we saw, it should be a really nice hotel... and it is really well placed for the Underground station at Ealing Common

Room Tip: Until the refurbishment is over, ask for a room on the 4th or 5th floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank superdv

Reviewed 25 January 2013

The was the Ramada Ealing but is currently undergoing renovation (much needed) and is under the Hilton Brand.

The un-refurbished rooms a very bad, and when I stayed there the room was that cold I had to wear clothes at night. The other option was a very noisy heater. Either way a lack of sleep ensued. (Yes I did complain but was moved to another freezing room)

Stay in a refurbished room and I think you will be ok.

However Hilton should be ashamed, as they should shut the hotel, refurbish, then re-open so not to put customers through the pain. I could claim my stay back off my company, but if it was my own money I would have offered half the money and walked out

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th or 5th floor. These are newly refurbed
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank lancstrotter
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I got my booking discounted to £150 from £200 for one night after checking online comparison websites.

First we had a call saying our booking was cancelled due to health & safety issue as they are closing down a whole floor, then we managed to restate our booking after explaining that we are coming to new year's party in the same hotel & there is no point going to a different hotel, especially with a baby.

The room was big with a good size bathroom.
Sheets had hair on them, spare pillow had a stain on it & existing pillows were coming off their sheets as if they've been used.

At the end of that evening I wanted to check my email before going to sleep so called reception for access to the "free wifi" & was told that if I wanted access to the free wifi then I have to go to the reception for this, which is not very convenient if you're already in your PJs & in bed - so I left it at that.

Nice reception staff though

Overall, not a bad hotel, I just expected a little better than this for £150 a night (or considering the original price is £200)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank Safa S
RLEIK, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear Safa S

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am happy to note that overall you enjoyed your stay at The London Ealing Hotel.

I would like to assure you that your comments have been shared with the team.