“Very comfortable stay and great value”

DoubleTree by Hilton - London Hyde Park
Ranked #293 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst I was in London on business. I was welcomed with a delicious warm chocolate chip cookie and given an upgraded room. I had booked about 2 weeks in advance and got a very good rate for B&B.

My room was warm, clean and very nicely decorated. I had use of a Nespresso machine, received bottled water, Twinings fruit tea and Early Grey. There was a sign in the bathroom about ‘travelling light’ and an array of toiletries including deodorant and razors were offered in case you had forgotten them!

I was a little concerned when I arrived at my room as I had an adjoining room and you could hear everything in the room next door (I gathered very quickly my neighbour had had a very bad day in the office!). I have become a light sleeper since moving out of the city and so was concerned I wouldn’t sleep well, especially because my room was near to the lift, but I did. The bed, pillow and bedding were so inviting that I curled up to sleep quickly and had a wonderful night’s sleep.

The hotel offered free wifi which was great as I had work to complete in the evening (although it didn’t like Firefox and I had to use Explorer). It was also only about a 5 minute walk from Queensway Tube station. When you leave Queensway, there is a Hilton Hotel immediately on your right which isn’t this hotel (which is worth the extra 5 minute walk).

Breakfast was good. The restaurant is bright and modern which I liked and breakfast itself included the usual continental and full English. I sampled the homemade granola which was delicious. Tea, coffee and juice were also served at your table as well as at the buffet and service was friendly and helpful (from all staff at all times during my stay).

This hotel serves up a slice of luxury and for my stay provided incredible value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,294)

Reviewed 21 November 2013

This hotel was undergoing renovations while we were visiting but you would never know it by the level of service we received was outstanding and the comfort level of the hotel was much better than expected. I would choose this hotel again should we visit the area again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Had a lovely 3 nights at this hotel. Location is near Queensway station on the central line so getting around was easy and Bayswater road is well served by multiple bus routes. Reception was a piece of cake and the room was surprisingly spacious as London rooms can be poky. I only had one breakfast at thehotel and it was more than adequate and if booked beforehand, good value at 12 pounds. Staff were pleasant and helpful and rooms have free wifi. All up, there's no need to stress about finding the right kind of accommodation - this hotel ticked all my boxes. There was some refurbisihing work going on at the time so an afternoon nap is possibly out the question for a while.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Overall clean and comfortable hotel centrally located at Bayswater. Room is small but is expected for a city hotel in London. The beds are comfortable and the room and bathroom are well heated. Tube station (Queensway) is less than 5 mins walk; there is another Hilton right next to the tube station but I thought this one is better as it is quieter. Daily buffet breakfast spread is decent and sufficient to fill the stomach; however, some change in the varieties will be helpful especially after staying there for a week!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed at the DoubleTree hotel from 28 to 30 October and 31 October to 01 November.It was a nice hotel, the rooms were not the biggest but nicely refurbished. Room service speed was good and beds are great.

Two points of feedback were that there was a fire alarm when I checked in on Thursday evening again and it seemed that they didn´t know if it was serious or not, and the second point whas that room service made a slide change in my order without consulting me.

Overall nice hotel, nice experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My husband & I spent one night here during our visit to England last week. We arrived late morning and were unable to get a room right away, but the concierge took our luggage so we could go out and explore for a bit. When we returned a few hours later, we were quickly given keys to a room on the 4th floor and our luggage was brought to us.

The room had a single king sized bed, flat panel tv, and view of Kensington Gardens (ok, more of the parking lot next to it vs the gardens, but still not bad). Our only complaint here is that facing the street can be noisy. Also as others have mentioned, remodeling is still going on and the area at the front of the building (directly below us) was covered in scaffolding and plenty of construction work could be heard during daylight hours. Neither the construction or the street noise were issues at night. I was more concerned about the lack of insulation in the building. It seemed you could hear everyone in the hallway, but thankfully being at one end or polite guests and we didn't hear much after 11pm.

The rooms are beautiful decorated and contain a number of necessary items from iron and hair dryer to mini fridge and safe. There was also a Nespresso machine and assorted teas. Take note the overall ceiling heights throughout this building are very low. The bathroom had a tub with raised floor and even though the shower head was adjustable (not that I could figure out how to raise it), it was low even for me at 5'-6".

There is a restaurant in the building and some offerings 24/7. We arranged for breakfast when booking our stay. It was buffet style and featured a nice assortment of hot foods (sausage, eggs, beans, oatmeal) as well as pastries, fresh fruit and cereals. Admittedly the price is a little high, but well worth it for a good breakfast before our trip home.

We did use the concierge to book our ride to the airport. We asked the night before to have a car at 9am. We checked out just before and didn't see anyone. After standing outside a few minutes, I went back in to ask. Turns out the driver was there, had been in just before we came down, told the concierge who promised to send us to him. Well, the concierge didn't until we asked. It all worked out fine and we arrived to LHR in time. Just be aware and ask if you do this as the car that arrived was unmarked on the outside so impossible to tell it was a car service.

I would consider visiting again if in London. The rooms were very clean and nice. The location is across from Kensington Gardens and close to 2 stops on the Underground (Queensway and Notting Hill Gate). Get a day pass and you can easily travel all over the city.

Room Tip: Request rooms away from Bayswater Rd if you are concerned about street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend in November. We would definitely stay again! We were given a friendly and warm greeting by the reception team on arrival. They also promptly arranged a taxi for us to take us to dinner as we were running late for our reservation due to tube issues.
Our room was clean, comfortable and had everything we needed for a comfortable stay.
The restaurant provided a plentiful buffet breakfast which was very tasty.
Location wise, this hotel is in a great spot. Only 5 mins walk to Queensway tube and about 10 mins walk to Notting Hill.
The only small negative was that even though we booked a King Guest room, we thought our room was rather small. We expected it to be bigger but I guess that's London hotels!
But saying that, we weren't in the room much and it was clean and very comfortable.

A great hotel which we would definitely consider using again if we visit London again

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple