“Three fire alarms in six days - very frustrating”

DoubleTree by Hilton - London Hyde Park
Ranked #289 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We spent six nights at this property, beginning November 30 through December 6.

Having arrived around noon after a sleepless Transatlantic flight, both my toddler daughter and I were desperate to get checked into our room and crawl into bed. As my husband is Hilton Hhonors Diamond, we are used to being afforded the luxury of an early check-in. However, we were told we couldn't check in any earlier than 2:00, so, heavily disappointed, we left our bags at bell services to go in search of a very sleepy lunch around the corner.

When we returned a little before 2:00, we found we were given a room on a low floor. We requested a higher floor, so we wouldn't be disturbed by construction noise (they were replacing the external steps during our stay). After a few moments, we were moved to the fifth floor. No executive floor upgrades available, unfortunately.

The room itself was very comfortable by London standards. Not huge, but more than ample for the three of us. Our King-sized bed was quite comfortable. The room had a modern TV, was very clean, had a large wardrobe, small table, safe, and a very nice Nespresso machine. The room (511) was obviously recently updated, and was sparkling clean and had no signs of wear.

One disappointment was the lack of a bathtub, so our two-year old daughter learned to take showers at this hotel. As always at a Doubletree, Crabtree and Evelyn bath goods are available.

Breakfast every day was included in our rate given my husband's Diamond Status. The breakfast was ample and delicious, with bacon, sausages, hash browns, eggs, many juices, fruits, cold meats, pastries and cereals. The wait staff circulated with orange juice, coffee, and tea. However, if the breakfast was not included in the price, it wouldn't have been worth the 17.50 pounds per person daily.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and always offered a cookie to our daughter.

The primary troubles were regarding the fire alarms during our visit. Our first experience was Sunday morning. I was showering with our 2-year old when the fire alarm started blaring. Having always been taught to take fire alarms seriously, I hurriedly dressed myself and her, and headed immediately (dripping wet) for the stairs. Halfway down the stairs, I encountered a worker who told me it was just an alarm test.

Wow. That is the sort of thing that would have been really nice to know, don't you think? Okay, these things happen, I thought to myself. So, we returned to the room to get dressed properly.

Tuesday afternoon I returned to the hotel with her for her nap time. Sure enough, the fire alarm went off moments after I got her to sleep. I called down to the desk to inquire, and (again) they said it was a test. Once more, this would have been nice to know. No sooner had I gotten her back to sleep, than the alarm went off AGAIN. This was becoming frustrating.

Wednesday afternoon, guess what, this happened a third time. At this point I was ready to switch hotels, as it was becoming a bit much. When my husband returned that evening, I asked him to speak to the front desk. They indicated that the Wednesday test was the normal weekly test, and there shouldn't be any more. Fortunately, that was the final incident, but to not alert guests of frequent and repeated fire alarmtests in advance, even via a note under the door, is unacceptable.

If you need to return to the room for afternoon naps due to the needs of small children, I would avoid this hotel until they get their fire alarm situation sorted out.

If you do not need to be in the hotel during afternoon hours, the otherwise it is a fantastic hotel in an unbeatable location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank wenpie
Guest Relations M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear wenpie

Thank you for your review. I am of course disappointed to hear about some aspects of your stay and would like to offer you the full explanation as well as my sincere apologies.

Whilst we always prioritise our loyal HHonors members, during the busy time and with our check out being a leisurely noon, it is simply not possible to get rooms ready before 2pm, particularly in the specific category. Unfortunately, the only way to guarantee an early access to the room is to preregister the night before. As for executive floor upgrade, we cannot offer this simply because here at DoubleTree Hyde Park we do not have executive rooms nor floors. Please do let me know if you have been advised / promised otherwise and I will follow this up, hotel does not promise this facility, never has nor have any plans to introduce in future. All our rooms have been finished to the same high standard, with custom made soft furnishings, top of the range equipment and finishing touches such as Nespresso machines.

Please let me apologise for the number of fire alarms experienced during your stay, whilst Wednesday alarm is a weekly feature, in line with Fire Safety requirements and guests are advised, among other, via 7ft banner in the lift lobby, we also had new rooms comissioning inspection and an annual inspection during this week. Unfortunately, these inspections required us to demonstrate working fire alarms. Please accept my apologies for this disturbance, the alarms are newly commissioned and in perfect working order so and hopefully, until next inspection, the only disturbance will remain Wednesday 3pm weekly alarm test.

Thank you also for nothing the comfort of the room, again I am sorry to read your comments about the lack of the bathtub as whilst we do not have them in every room category (most of our guests have indicated shower preference, so the majority of rooms were refurbished with large walk in showers), we do have a number of rooms with bath available. I am very sorry if the front desk team failed to offer you this upon request, as we have even specifically configured our system to show this feature, for ease of assisting guests who prefer baths.

I do sincerely hope that this goes some way in restoring your confidence and you will return to DoubleTree Hyde Park soon; please do not hesitate to contact me directly on Tanja.Furby@Hilton.com if I could be of any further assistance.

With kind regards
Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,232)

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We had difficulty locating this hotel as although the address is given as Bayswater Road the entrance is actually in St Petersburg Place. A sign at the front of the hotel might be a good idea!!
Checked in by Paul who made no mention of our Gold Card status and allocated us a standard room on the first floor. I then enquired if the usual upgrade for gold card members was available but was assured that the hotel was "completely full" and an upgrade was not possible. Standard room was fine but soon discovered that TV was not working due to problem with the remote. Tried to dial 0 for reception but discovered this not to be working either. Then tried the Careline 555 which is supposed to help with guest problems only to discover that it was not working either!
Walked down to reception to be told that there was a problem with the telephone systems and a maintenance man would fix the TV problem which he subsequently did.
I then decided to check Hilton.co.uk for room availability for the two nights of our stay and was surprised to discover that 4 separate rooms types were available including superior rooms. The hotel was clearly far from being "completely full". Returned again to reception and presented this evidence to Paul who was however unrepentant and became quite tetchy. The duty manager was called for and, surprise surprise, a superior room had become available after all. It did not have a telephone but this was not an issue for us as the system wasn't working anyway.
This was not a pleasant experience at this hotel and at the end of the day I would prefer honesty over any room upgrade. Thanks to the duty manager for sorting this out but as previous reviewers have indicated, a little more training to reception personnel, Paul in particular, is urgently required.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank redhand
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Currently undergoing a refurb but there was no noise or disruption evident and my room was modern and fresh - if a little small, as is the way with so many London hotels. Customer care maybe needs a little brushing up - receptionist was a little off hand I thought and I wasn't shown to my table at breakfast - the young guy who took my room number seemed rather under pressure and ignored another guest who was standing beside me. Breakfast was a little underwhelming and the bar / cafe area is a little clinical for my liking - more like a cafeteria. But overall for Central London good value and I would go back. Like the Nespresso machines in the rooms.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Guest Relations M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Dear Pedrode

Thank you for your review, it is great to read that you thought the hotel offered good value and the rooms were modern and fresh. I am so glad small touches like Nespresso are liked by our guests!

I am really sorry to read about the reception experience and even more so about Urban Meadow, please let me assure you that we do take all feedback as an opportunity to improve and will ensure to act on it, the team together with departmental managers.

Thank you again and I do hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

The hotel has recently been converted to Doubletree and some renovation work was still in progress. Rooms are comfortable and sufficiently well-equipped, with good breakfast offering in the restaurant. Only downside is there's no executive lounge, but hotel is handy for Central Line into the main business/shopping areas and overall was very good value.

Dear WDC66

Thank you for sharing your review of DoubleTree Hyde Park with fellow travellers and for your nice comments about our comfortable rooms and good breakfast and overall very good value.

I am sorry if the absence of executive lounge affected your stay as we do try ensuring all our collateral is clear about this facility not being available. Please accept my apologies if we failed to make you aware of it prior to confirming your reservation.

Hopefully this will not deter you from staying with us in the future!

Sincerely

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Nice enough clean room, close to tube stations, but a little cramped, felt like it was in a basement or dungeon, and the very loud construction work started at 7.30am. We were not warned about this at check in.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review DoubleTree by Hilton London – Hyde Park. It is most disappointing to read your comments about the work starting early as throughout the refurbishment project we have put strict noise restrictions in place with all the contractors. I am very sorry failure to comply with these restrictions has affected your stay.

I would be most grateful if you would care to contact me directly with a few more details so I can fully investigate and follow up this incident on Tanja.Furby@Hilton.com as I sincerely hope to restore your confidence in the hotel.

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We have just spent two nights at this hotel and we were not disappointed

Good value for money
Excellent location
Good breakfast buffet to start the day
Very clean and tidy and very modern, considering the location the rooms were very quiet and you would not believe you were in London.
Would definitely book again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear BrianD0905

Thank you for taking the time to review DoubleTree by Hilton London – Hyde Park and share your thoughts with fellow travellers, we are really happy to have made your stay enjoyable.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

we had a great stay here, very quiet but only a 2 stops to marble arch, or enjoy the walk through hyde park. nespresso machine was great treat too! lovely hotel , room quiet small but its london, and we where only in it to sleep!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Lia S

What a pleasure to read your review about having a great stay with us – it is really what hospitality is all about!! We are so glad you enjoyed the surroundings and little touches like Nespresso machine and do hope to see you back very soon.