“Great London hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
South Florida
“Great London hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I just came back from a trip to London where I stayed at the K&K George hotel. In London's expensive hotel market, this was a real bargain. The hotel is around the corner from the Earl's Court Underground station, from which you can get anywhere easily. The rooms are small, but comfortable, clean, and well appointed; the breakfast buffet is the best I have seen in a long time; and there is a charming garden out back, where you can sit in the afternoon and have a drink from the bar. There is also a small refrigerator in the room; we brought our own wine to drink in the garden. The staff was friendly and helpful and gave us excellent restaurant suggestions each night that were within walking distance of the hotel. Three of us stayed in a very nice triple for four nights and it cost us less than $100 per person per night. I would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: ask if there are any specials
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank adlr99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

We stayed at the K&K two years ago and we loved our stay. Our room was lovely overlooking the garden, it was bright, fresh and very clean, breakfast fabulous, service great, and so close to Earls Court train station and other amenities, even a laundy mat.
So we decided to stay here again this trip. This holiday was a special one for us so when I booked I requested a nice room, overlooking the garden and upper room.

When we were arrived we were greeted cheerfully and professionally. Because of our celebratory occasion I asked the receptionist did we manage to get a nice room. Her reply yes of course. As we had been there before they didn't need to show us to our room. Our room was on the 5th floor which was great, it did overlook the garden, but our room was quite tired looking. The carpet very tired and thin. The bathroom really really small, alot smaller than the one we had before.

Anyway we didn't say anything, we were happy it wa a quiet room. At 5.30 next morning I was woken to a noise and vibration coming from the ceiling. I tried to go back to sleep but didn't. After breakfast we reported it to Reception and they said the maintenance man would look at it. He apparently did look at it whilst we were out but heard nothing.
Next night the same thing happened at about 11.30 pm and it took us ages to go to sleep. It subsided and the started again early hours of the morning. My husband called reception and asked if maintenance man could come up now so he could hear the problem. He did come up promptly, heard the problem had a look in the ceiling, said there wasn't much he could do, but would try. Reception advised if the problem was not solved we could move to another room when we returned after our daily activities. When we returned that evening, our room had been given to someone else and we were still with the noise. Fortunately we bought ear plugs and got us through the other 2 nights.

I was disappointed in the tiredness of our room, especially when I read other reviews where the rooms sound so newish, and also disappointed they didnt keep to their word re moving us to another room when they knew the problem was not fixed. Especially when they knew we had 2 more nights with them. (4 night stay in total)

I was too tired to ask them why they didn't save the room. I think if the original receptionist had been handling it she would of done it. The others didn't seem to care too much about the problem. Anyway hopefully if we do stay there again, our room will be not so tired. I would like to think the hotel would look after returning hotel guests.

I would not like to see this hotel loose its stature, because it really is a nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Fort Worth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

K + K George is a great hotel in a neighborhood. Short walk to tube. Staff is very nice. Rooms are small by U.S. standards but comfortable as long as you are just sleeping there. Room did get hot (in November) - but we opened windows and it was great.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Boulder
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

I have stayed at the K+K Hotel George in London twice now. I like it for multiple reasons. It's easy to get to and from Heathrow because it's on a direct line. The hotel is just a short walk (< 5 minutes) from the Earl's Court tube station. Earl's Court is a nice area and the side streets are very quiet and safe. There's lots of good dining options within walking distrance: everything from Nando's, Starbucks, and Gourmet Burger Kitchen, to some more upscale and unique restaurants. I also find Earl's Court tube station to be a good launching point to get to other parts of the cities.

The standard rooms at the Hotel George are small, but nothing unusual for London. They are very clean and modern and well appointed. I particularly like rooms with a garden view. The entire hotel has free Wi-Fi, which is something important to consider when you're staying in London. The hotel also provides one of the most amazing champagne buffet breakfasts I have ever seen. You can choose from a traditional British breakfast to pastries, fresh fruit, cereals and muesli, cheeses, perfectly cooked poached eggs, etc. They tables all have white linens and the servers are constantly coming around to refill coffee and tea. There's also a great selection of complimentary local and international newspapers as you enter the dining room. I just love it! I would stay here just for the breakfast ritual!

The hotel also has a small gym, a serene bar, a comfy lobby, and a beautiful English garden. It is surprisingly quiet at night and I rarely hear street noise or noise from neighboring rooms. I also recommend booking a package that comes with an afternoon tea. They offer a great assortment of treats and tea.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are quiet and lovely!
Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank Jen S
Nice
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

Just over a year ago I stayed in the K&K Hotel Cayre in Paris and wrote a review about my two night business stay there called ‘Good, but too many niggles to justify the price’. In a nutshell the hotel was not up to par for the cost (600 Euros) however a few days after uploading my review I received an email from the VP of K&K hotels offering me a free nights stay in any of their hotels in Europe to make up for the experience I had encountered in Paris. I used this voucher to stay at the K&K Hotel George in London on 3rd and 4th March 2011.

On arrival 3 ladies were at reception waiting to greet me. I was quickly checked in and given a personal mini tour of the hotel and taken to my room. The rooms are good (mattress on bed superb) with a flat screen TV (10 or so channels, no Video On Demand but that is no hardship for me). There was a fruit basket and a bottle of water in my room and a mini bar fridge with soft and alcoholic drinks and nibbles (the usual silly prices if you want to dive in). Bathroom was small but perfectly adequate, clean and modern with soap, bath & shower gel if you need them. An indicator of the bathroom supplies is the difference between using them or taking them and they were definite users not take away in my bag supplies. I didn’t get a chance to make it to the gym or sauna (sauna only open in the evening which was a bit disappointing as I prefer to do that in the mornings) the gym was open most of the day.

I had a 3 hour business meeting in the hotel lounge on my first day and ordered lunch - wraps, sandwiches and soft drinks which all received the thumbs up and which the chef was flexible enough to change certain ingredients due to some of our dislikes. The Internet is free and is wi-fi in the lounge, cable access in the room (all fast enough).
Cost was £125.00 per night including the extensive breakfast buffet (full English to Continental). A good breakfast with good service and as I sat eating on my second morning I noticed the gardens at the back of the hotel which looked really beautiful. Too cold to attempt in early March yet I can imagine in the summer it is really lovely place to spend some time wither you are in between meetings or London activities.

Earls Court as a location is very convenient, a few stops on the tube to the heart of London and in the immediate area lots of restaurants of all types. For curry lovers I recommend Masala Zone which is where I ate. Not a great location for bars, two English proper ‘pubs’ close by and surprisingly their choice of wines was good (Montepulciano) so the wine lovers amongst us were happy.

In summary the London K&K George is value for money and chock full of friendly staff keen to help as much as possible to make your stay special. Although the Paris Hotel was expensive and service wanting, the London experience has (as I imagined was intended with the voucher) turned me around. We all make mistakes and it was refreshing to have this recognised and my support of the hotel chain deemed to be something worth earning again. I am looking to head to Prague for a visit at some point this year and will certainly be looking at the K&K.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank CarynWaller
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

Stayed for 7 nights at the start of April. Loved the garden with the squirrels, and it was very civilised to have a drink outside in the afternoon after a long day! (It was very warm for London at that time in April). The location was excellent- moments to Earl's Court Rd and the tube, supermarkets and restaurants/pubs (hello to all at The Prince of Tek- nice food!). It was also only 15-20 minutes to walk to Hyde Park and the Natural History Museum/Victoria and Albert Museum or you can get the tube. The hotel's common areas are nicely decorated and spacious. Breakfast is very good and the wait staff helpful and smiling. The staff were courteous and helpful in general. Bathrooms are very clean and well supplied. Just a couple of small things: we found the room very hot despite using the aircon and eventually we turned it off and opened a window- in fact the whole hotel was very warm! Also in the room there were marks on the walls and dings on corners and the carpet was looking a little worse for wear on the creaky floor! But I guess these were relatively minor things overall and we still enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank threepossums
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel George from 04-12 May 11 for a vacation trip to London, Cambridge and the old RAF base at Upper Heyford where I lived as a child in the early 60s. We found the Hotel George from the British Airways website as part of the selections for a vacation package. We chose it because all its rooms were air conditioned with individually controlled thermostats just in case the weather turned unexpectedly warm...it didn't. Also, we liked that the hotel was on the smaller side vice a 1500 room mega-hotel.

The room, 201, was small, but more than adequate. There wasn't a lot of extra room; however, we were using the room as a way station for our trip. Anything like the Ritz would have been wasted because we didn't spend much time in the room other than to sleep, bathe and eat breakfast every morning. Speaking of the full breakfast included in the price of the room, it was very filling and all of the staff with one exception were friendly, attentive and extremely dedicated. Cereal, fresh and canned fruits, yogurts, eggs, sausages, English bacon, rolls, croissants, etc. If one can't find something on the buffet to satisfy their hunger, then, in our opinion, they're just too hard to please.

Check-in and out were a breeze. The electronic key is oversized, so it's hard to forget to leave it at the desk when you leave. The desk staff were very helpful, providing us with maps of London and eating ideas based upon cuisine, cost and distance willing to travel. The neighborhood is quiet; we had a street front room and traffic noise was minimal at night. We usually had one or two of the windows open to allow the fresh air in at night. The garden in the back is LOVELY, peaceful and serene. Having a late evening drink in the garden is a "must do." We didn't use room service, although we saw a few trays being taken up and the food looked good. The bar is nice and quiet and the staff are very attentive and friendly.

Prince of Teck pub is one block up. Stewart, the manager, runs a nice place and the food is tasty and filling. The Earl's Court tube station is up one block and over a half a block, so a minimal walk. We purchased an Oyster card for Zones 1 & 2 for seven days which worked out great. One word of advice, do NOT purchase it the night before if you are not going to use it thinking you'll avoid the crowd the next morning because it is active when you purchase it...something we found out on our next to last day in London when we were getting "top off" messages touching in and out of the tube. No worries, though, a one day extension isn't that expensive. The Oyster card also works on the buses...just touch in and no need to touch out.

Free internet is a great benefit and there are four computers downstairs that can be used to print out boarding passes, receipts for the London Eye, etc. We didn't rent a car, but there is now a garage, first come first served, with parking at I believe Twenty Pounds per day. If there was one weak spot, it was the quality of the maid service. One evening when we came back to the room, no new bath towels had been left (easily rectified by the desk staff) and one other day, we knew we were coming back early and asked for the room to be made up early. It wasn't, so we waited for the inevitable knock at the door to awaken us from an afternoon nap. All in all, though, for the price we think we made out like bandits. The hotel is nice; a hidden gem away from the hustle of Central London yet with the tube station close by, it's easy to get to Central London or one of the train stations for trips outside the city.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple