“Good solid option for a short stay in London”

Kingsway Hall Hotel
Ranked #256 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed for three nights for work. The hotel was fine in all respects. Room compact but adequate. Bathroom OK: shower pressure not great and awful tube hairdryer (so sexist: a relic from the days that only men without much hair travelled for work). Breakfast was included otherwise I wouldn't have bothered as there are lots of great cafes with excellent coffee in the vicinity. The location was excellent. If you can get a good rate and are staying for just a few days I think this is a sound option.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank atgkc
Andrew H, General Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear atgkc,

Thank you for staying with us at Kingsway Hall and I am very grateful for all your comments.

My hotel team are very happy to assist guests whenever possible and its regrettable that we were not able to supply you with one of the additional and more powerful hairdriers that are available from housekeeping. In the medium term all rooms will have these additional hairdriers as a standard.

I will share your review with the team and I do hope that you would return for a future stay.

Andrew Hollett

Write a ReviewReviews (3,420)

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We have stayed here twice now and were impressed both times by the warm welcome you receive on arrival. Traditional rooms, comfortable and very clean, good location for covent garden and theatre land. Idea for a short stay. Reception and concierge very attentive. Despite being a very busy hotel we were not disturbed by other events at the hotel. There is outside noise as we were facing the road but I'm sure an upgrade and request would solve this. The bar area is good for pre dinner drinks or after dinner coffees. We haven't eaten at the hotel as there are so many restaurants nearby. Breakfast isn't included in the room rate. A lovely find.

1  Thank 846Tina54

Dear 846Tina54,

Thank you for staying and clearly enjoying your time with us at Kingsway Hall and I really appreciate your constructive and positive comments. The hotel team read all the reviews and will take great pride in knowing that you were happy with all aspects of the visit.

Hopefully, you will pay us another visit in the future and enjoy the same level of hospitality next time and I do hope that you will perhaps try some of the seasonal British dishes that we serve in the Harlequin restaurant or perhaps take afternoon tea - both are excellent quality. I am certain you would enjoy the experience as much as the breakfast service.

I am pleased that you took the time to post your review and hopefully you will return again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

A good central location with quality well trained staff. Ideal for theatre land, Covent Garden and the Masonic museum. Well priced on Expedia and the Executive room was nice and spacious. Breakfast was good quality and they have our "best hotel orange juice award" for this year. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room on the 7th floor.
1  Thank SimN

Dear SimN,

Thank you for your feedback posted on Tripadvisor and I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent stay with us.

The Executive Head Chef will be very pleased to read your comments about our breakfast which we hope gives all our guests an excellent start to the day whether it is a traditional full English with our prime butchers choice Cumberland sausages or something more ususual like Eggs Benedict. The premium orange juice we serve is very popular and perhaps you might try a handmade fruit smoothie on a future visit !

Please do stay with us again and I shall pass on your comments to all of my team who will be very happy to read your comments.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Have just spent two nights at The Kingsway Hall Hotel. Room was good, clean, had everything you needed. Bed not so good. Very hard and a bit bumpy! Breakfast was excellent. Wide range to chose from with extra menu if you wanted something different eg. Eggs Benedict. Only problem was (apart from bed) the noise from outside. We were on the second floor and were woken frequently, particularly the Friday night, by revellers on the street. This was probably made worse as we are approaching Christmas and there were lots of parties in all the bars around. We faced the front of the hotel as did our friends who also were woken often. Might be better to ask for room at back this time of year although not sure what that overlooks!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank southamanda

Dear southamanda,

Thank you for staying with friends at Kingsway Hall and I am very grateful for your comments following your recent visit. Your observations are much appreciated and I will be able to take action to address the bedding issue if you can kindly confirm which room number you occupied. I will send a message to this effect in the hope that you will respond. December is very busy around Covent Garden and I am sorry that you were disturbed from street noise. The bedrooms at high levels and at the rear of the property are quiet and my team would have suggested a move if the opportunity had arisen during your stay.

I do hope that you would consider staying with us again and I would be delighted to assist you with a reservation.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Being frequent visitors to the UK, we have long been searching for the "perfect" hotel in central London. We think we have found it in Kingsway Hall. Smart and friendly staff, a spacious and well-appointed room, a divinely comfortable bed and a breakfast buffet that was both eye popping in its appeal and delicious to eat made our visit special. Add to that a great location, including its close proximity to Holborn Tube Station and Kingsway Hall is a winner in our books.

Sign us,
Happy at Kingsway Hall

1  Thank jmOne2013

Dear jmOne2013,

Thank you for staying and enjoying all that Kingsway hall has to offer and I hope that you had a safe trip back to Canada. Your comments are much appreciated and I have shared them with the hotel team who are delighted to know that you enjoyed your first visit to us.

Hopefully your last trip will be the first one of a series !

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Finding quality hotels without an eye-watering room rate can be difficult in central London. The Kingsway fulfils those requirements in every respect. Within walking distance of many central London attractions it's well placed for both business and leisure. The staff are pleasant, friendly and helpful and the rooms and en-suite are a really decent size for a London hotel. The only negative is the lack of UK TV Chanel choice and slightly out-dated TV, although this isn't a major issue really. I'd certainly stay at the hotel if I was in this part of London again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if you're bothered by street noise - this is central London.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Andrew H, General Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Channelhopper30,

Thank you for staying with us recently and I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience at Kingsway Hall. Its very good to read that the service you received from my team was high quality and friendly also. The TV channel issue has being addressed but I am pleased that you will consider a return visit ion the future.

If you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the reservation team directly and thank you for sharing your comments with the Tripadvisor community.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Cleanliness. Generally fine. But, there was an old toe nail clipping on my bathroom floor (Room 208) and the architraves were rotting at the base due to the amount of water that had been soaked up from previously wet floors . There was a pack of very old and mouldy parma ham in our friends' fridge (Room 220). The excuse offered by the duty manager was that the reception desk trigger for opening fridges is intermittent and they are often not aware of when the fridges were opened last. This would explain the age of the food in the fridge but doesn't excuse it in my view. No offer of compensation was made despite these two issues but we have been assured of a response of some kind from the duty manager, “Sid” . Poor TV channel selection and picture Quality. No on-site Parking. Definitely not a 4* plus in my view. Have since been offered a complimentary upgrade if we decided to stay there again. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

• Stayed: November 2013
Andrew H, General Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Joe V,

Thank you for staying with us at Kingsway Hall and I am sorry that you were not entirely happy with your stay nor did the actions of my duty manager satisfy you subsequently.

It is most regrettable that my team were not made aware of the issues during your stay and I am confident that your concerns could have been handled promptly and to your satisfaction. I am sorry that ham was found in another minibar although this item was placed there by a previous guests and it was not part of the hotel minibar stock. This issue is now resolved as my team will check the minibar daily regardless of whether its been opened by guests - previously an electronic sensor communicated any use of the minibar to the housekeeping manager. It is also unfortunate that we were not able to to retrieve the toe clipping that you mention - this would have been very useful to provide as evidence for the supervisor who checks the bedrooms on a daily basis.

The excellent standards of housekeeping normally delivered by the team should hopefully reassure you that the experience you recalled on the review would not be repeated on a return visit and I can also assure you that the TV quality wil be improved with a new system in train shortly. My duty manager has communicated an offer of compensation to you in the hope that you would consider a re-visit in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.