“Great location but some problems that could easily be solved”

Kingsway Hall Hotel
Ranked #245 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions as it is very convenient for somewhere I visit regularly.

The location is very close to Covent Garden and The Strand and River Thames are just a five minute walk away.

The staff are always friendly and helpful and the breakfast is OK for a buffet style.

The main problem is noise. Great Queen Street has lots of bars and restaurants. The last time I stayed the temperature outside did not dip below 24 degrees overnight. This meant that the rooms were very hot. Opening the windows was not an option as my room was on the first floor directly over the road from an open fronted pub which was, naturally, very busy. The air conditioning in the room was thankfully very efficient in terms of cooling but (from about 3:45 a.m. onwards) started making a mechanical grating sound every couple of minutes. On check-out I mentioned this problem and was immediately told that it was the air-con pump trying to get rid of condensation that had gathered within the unit.....clearly a known issue. To be fair to the hotel, the maintenance staff were straight up to the room to take a look but, given the quick diagnosis, this problem must occur quite a lot.

My other gripe is the lack of draught beer in the bar. With nothing but overpriced bottled beer to choose from it is no wonder that the surrounding pubs are so busy all of the time.

In summary, if you drink wine or spirits and can get a room that is away from the main road on a chilly night when you don't need air-con this place is ideal. For beer lovers in the height of summer....try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from Great Queen Street as possible
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris B
Burak F, Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Chris B,

Thank you for your review and I have noted all your comments which are much appreciated.

Your remarks regarding the sale of draught beer being served at our Lounge bar and the noise resulting from the air conditioning unit in your bedroom have been passed on to our team.

I am also sorry that you were disturbed due to the street noise. The bedrooms at high levels and at the rear of the property are quiet and my team would have suggested a move if the opportunity had arisen during your stay.

I do hope that you would consider staying with us again and I would be delighted to assist you with a reservation and we will ensure that you have a quiet, comfortable room to enjoy!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have stayed here twice now it is in a great location for all areas of london, it is right in the heart of covent garden and ideally located near to local tube stations so is a great base to explore.
the staff asre all lovely and very helpful giving us directions when we asked.
The rooms are decorated lovely and very clean nothing to say about this hotel except great service great accomadation and will use everytime in the city.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Burak F, Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear mandalLeicestersh

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotels facilities and the service from the hotel team who work hard to provide the high standards of hospitality you experienced. I have shared your review with the team.

Please do stay with us again when you are next planning a re-visit to London and I would be delighted to assist you with a reservation. Thank you for using Tripadvisor.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed here a few years ago and to be honest it had slipped my mind. I was so glad I recalled the Kingsway Hall.
Great location for all the west end and Coventry garden. Comfortable if not small rooms, but more than adequate. First class bar and restaurant. With at the tie staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear iantulloch

Thank you for the lovely comments!

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at the Kingsway hall hotel as a couple the weekend prior to the London marathon and were very impressed with our stay.

Upon arrival we received a warm welcome off the concierge and given easy directions on where to park. The car park was excellent value for money and very safe! We checked in easily and were impressed with the reception of the hotel and the quality of our room. The bed was extremely comfy with luxury quilts and covers. The television was quite limited with choice, however on a city break this wasn't a real inconvenience.

The location of the hotel was a 5 minute walk from Trafalgar square and within easy access of various tube stations. There was a good nightlife around the hotel which wasn't too loud into the early hours.

The concierge was more than happy to hail a taxi whenever you wanted.

The only downside was that we were not made aware the bill did not include VAT, which wasn't the end of the world, but I can imagine this would be a bigger issue for other people.

The food at the hotel looked good, however we did not eat there which we did regret.

In summary this hotel is good value for money in a great location and we would definitely stay here when visiting London again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DecHan2014

Dear DecHan2014

Thank you for your excellent review of Kingsway Hall and all it has to offer in the way of location, excellent service and well appointed rooms. I am pleased to learn you had such a wonderful experience and VAT is added extra to our established rates but I hope that you will consider a return visit in the future

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have visited this hotel twice in 8 weeks (May and July). On both my visits I have been given very good service and felt that we were valued guests.
The room was clean and well presented. The beds were fairly comfortable although the squeaked when you moved (this being said its my only negative point)
On both occasions we had afternoon tea and i have to say it rivals that of some of the more well known afternoon teas in London. Absolutely fabulous.
This hotel is ideally located to Covent Garden and the Theatres.

Room Tip: Shop around as you can get very good rates for this hotel on some sites.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Anne A

Thank you for your fantastic review of The Kingsway Hall Hotel. Our hotel is ideally located in the Covent Garden with all of the major London sites within walking distance of the hotel.

I am delighted that from the moment you arrived at the hotel you were made to feel at home. Our team pride themselves on ensuring that all of our guests are well looked after and it is always lovely to see this being recognised.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I understand this is a tad late but I have only gotten round to it but anyway. I brought my girlfriend here for 4 nights over New Year's Eve and the hotel was beautiful. The staff where ok one in particular was great even the food was great and at a good price. The problem started when we thought we would make the most of the gym and jacuzzi and it was out of order for our entire stay witch I felt let us down but any way we kept optimistic after a lovely evening we had a great night sleep only to be woken up at 6-7-8-9 and so on by a rumbling and the lights shaking and rattling which I later told them about. The told me a family where sharing two rooms above us and the children ran between rooms annoying as every time me and my partner tried to relax it kept happening we complaind a few times and the just said we will tell them to keep it down. In the end we just dealt with it and didn't want it to spoil our break. Overall beautifull hotel and facility's (when working) but staff could be more considerate

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Daryl D

Dear Daryl D

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Kingsway Hall hotel and I have noted all your comments which will be distributed and acted upon by my management team.

I was delighted to learn that you found the team to be friendly and attentive and that most of your expectations were met and shall personally share your kind comments with all those concerned.

With regards to Jacuzzi, we had the planned engineer work scheduled and it was advertised on our website at the time. I sincerely apologise it has let you down in this incident.

My team will always address noisy guests who stay with us and I regret that even though they have been warned of the complaints several times.

The Kingsway Hall team and I are always looking to improve the standards of hospitality and I am certain that you would be satisfied if you were to stay with us again - perhaps you would consider a re-visit and contact me to assist you with the booking.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

fabulous hotel! excellent value for money. Breakfast very good and complete. excellent service. rooms very elegant and very clean ... great service from all the staff ... recommended!!...excellent position in Covent Garden !!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Massimo C
Burak F, Manager at Kingsway Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Massimo C

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and glad to read that your expectations were met, and I will personally ensure that your great review is shared will all my team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the meantime, if we may assist further, please do not hesitate to contact us direct