“Could anything else go wrong?”

Mercure London Paddington Hotel
Ranked #472 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Could anything else go wrong?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

I stayed here on a recent business trip as the hotel I usually stay in was full due to take that being in town. The Hotel its self is well appointed however its was by far the worst experience I have ever had in any hotel in the world. I have travelled extensively throughout the UK, Europe, Asia and Australia and regard myself as very laid back where hospitality is concerned but absolutely nothing would make me stay here again and I have made sure my company of 6000+ UK employees do not use this hotel again either which is a shame as it is within 5 mins walking distance of our head office. When I arrived I was informed that they didn't have a booking for me, thankfully I had printed off the confirmation from the booking company otherwise I think they wouldn't have bothered trying to sort out their mistake. Eventually many phone calls later and half an hour sat waiting in the reception area (after a very long journey) I was finally checked in to the smallest double room I think I have ever seen up in the roof so there was a few places in the room that the roof was so low i had to sit down to access. There was no hot water so after a cold shower I wend downstairs to the over priced Garfunkel restaurant (as it was now too late to head into town). The place was almost full and as a single diner (which I find embarrassing enough to start with) I got the impression they were really not happy I was taking their last 2 seat table, the waiter was fairly abrupt and seemed far happier to be serving the many tables of American families who from their conversations had been there a few days and must have been good tippers. I ordered an over priced beer which was eventually dropped on my table without even a glance in my direction by said waiter whilst he passed by to service the family on the table next to me eventually he came back to take my food order of pasta and garlic bread. When the food came (quite quickly) it was cold and tasteless, I usually dont take salt or pepper on my food but put quite a lot on just to make it have any taste at all, hardly worth the £17 it cost, at no point did anyone come and ask me if the food was ok or if i wanted anything else etc. The bill (to put on the room) took them 25 mins to produce and sort out by which time I had missed the start of the apprentice so I decided I would hit the bar to finish off the rest of my room allowance. The bar its self is tiny but the bar man was curious and pleasant. I loved his conversation with the receptionist about them using the company facilities to do their washing that they bring in from home every shift, classy.

Even though I was on the 5th floor (in the roof) the road noise from buses etc was really bad but it eventually died down about 23.30 and I got off to sleep only to be awoken at 1.30am by a Chinese couple in the next room having a massive argument, not the fault of the hotel however the walls were so thin that it sounded like they were in my bathroom rather than next door. Finally they stopped arguing or maybe killed each other and I went back off to sleep only to be awoken at 5am by the traffic noise starting up again.

Breakfast was included in my booking which is a shame as I could kinda tell what was going to happen and McDonnalds was just next door but I thought I might as well give it a try. £7.59 got me 1 slice of toast, 1 (quite nice) sausage, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 half cooked fried egg, 1/2 a burnt tomato and 4 half mushrooms oh and a cup of tea. On the way back to my room I asked for a iron and ironing board 25 mins. later no sign of it so I called down to reception who said they would chase it up, its now starting to get towards the time I need to leave for my day of meetings, oh and still no hot water in the shower, eventually the worlds smallest ironing board (guess due to the size of the room i was for the best) turns up and a iron.

When I was checking out I was asked by the same girl who had been the only person on reception all the time I have been there if apart from the check in taking ages has everything been ok, I simply replied no... no it hasn't expecting to be asked what was wrong but there was no reply nothing, I did have to help her work out my bill for room service as it seemed too complicated for her, good job I have kept the receipts.

So im sat there on the train home thinking to my self maybe im being over critical and everyone else seems happy with the service but no sorry I find the story above unacceptable and I hope someone from the hotel chain does too as for recommending to stay here? Not a chance, the location is great and I dare say this is why it was full of tourists who are happy because its right next door to Paddington station I only hope they don't think all of the UK is like this.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank phil-and-suz
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2011
Dear guest,

i was sorry to hear about your experience at our Hotel during your recent stay. While i will shared your comments with the mamagment of the Garfunkel restaurant, would you be able to make contact with me directly so i can investigate further into details all the problems you had during your stay. That way i will be able to address the situation with my team and take necessary steps so to avoid such occurances from happening in the future.

You can contact me at cyril.donat@accor.com

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sligo, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

The hotel is situated less than 5 minutes walk from Paddington station home of the Heathrow Express. The hotel is one of the Accor group and according to the website this is a 4 star hotel with a contemporary design. The hotel itself has a tiny reception area. It has a lift and a connecting door to Garfunkel's restaurant.

For a double room this was a claustrophobic experience. It was only about 2.5 meters at it's widest part but because it was located at a corner of the hotel, the room it was only about 2 meters at that end. It was single-glazed and from early morning you could hear train announcements from the station, you could also also hear people moving luggage on trolley wheels, sirens, raised voices and traffic noises from early morning. You can hear movement in upstairs rooms and people taking showers.

Staff started hoovering on the corridor after 7 am and if you were really unlucky they started checking rooms very early. In my room there was nothing to hang on the outside of the door to ask people not to disturb guests.

The bed looked like a double bed but it is short for modestly tall people and not really wide enough. It was a soft bed and otherwise comfortable. The flat screen TV was set high on the wall facing the bed. There is a room safe, air-conditioning and good coffee and tea making facilities. There is internet access.

There were also nice hospitable touches. There was bottled water, chocolates and biscuits. The room was immaculate. Everything was neat and clean. There was wonderful attention to detail.The housekeeping staff are excellent.

The bathroom has a fantastic walk-in shower. There was an ample supply of towels and toiletries It was excellently maintained. Great supply of hot water. No effort spared in keeping the bathroom clean.

Breakfast was in Garfunkel's restaurant which you may enter from the lobby. You can also enter the restaurant from the street. You can also have lunch and dinner there. The food is reasonably priced. The staff are friendly, service is fast and you are made to feel welcome.

The hotel manager seems to play a hands on role and you could see him here and there.

The staff starting at reception are warm, friendly and efficient. You knew you were welcome. Everyone smiled.

I might stay there again if they gave me a quiet room.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Inscribe
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor. I am pleased you enjoyed the location and the facilities of the hotel. The hotel being a Historic Victorian building, our rooms have various sizes. We do have executive rooms that are of a bigger size and offer extra guests amenities.
I am glad you found the hotel cleanliness of an impeccable level, our housekeeping team do pride themselves in keeping it that way.
I was sorry to hear about the vaccum cleaner noise at such ealry hours, please rest assured i have feed back the team about this and the do not disturb sign that missing from your room.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you again at the Hotel.

Hotel Manager
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

This hotel was booked almost entirely for its location as I was attending a dinner at another hotel (which would only do 2 night bookings) in the area. Even though this is London, for the price paid for the room (nearly £180) which did not include breakfast did not prepare me for the size of the room. It had only a single bed and the width of the room was such that I could touch the sides with my fingers standing in the middle of the room. On the plus side, it was clean and the single bed was comfortable but it was definitely cramped. Because the room was so small, the whole feeling was that it was dark and dingy - there was no view either which meant that that curtains were permanently closed which didn't help.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for your valued review. I sincerely apologise that the room size did not meet your expectations. Space is at a high premium due to the location that we are in next door to Paddington Station and the Heathrow Express, but we do always endeavour to make our guests' stay as confortable as possible. I am glad you felt our rooms were clean and well appointed however, and I hope that we can accommodate you again in the future.
Yours faithfully,
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Nice little hotel with relatively small rooms, but great modern design and helpful and friendly staff. The breakfast is a COMPLETE rip off as one pays 10 pounds for maybe 5 pounds worth of food, you're better of simply not paying extra for the breakfast and just paying for what you eat on the day of, and the service in the separately operated restaurant is only very ok.

The hotel is in a great location particularly because it is literally steps away from the underground (on the very edge of zone 1 with poor connectivity on weekends so fair warning) and a few steps more away from the Heathrow Express/Gatwick Express rail station so is a great city centre alternative to the airport hotels.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank teaearlgreyhot
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed staying with us and liked our rooms. We have spoken to the operators of the restaurant regarding breakfast and are implementing improvements now. Thank you for highlighting the issue. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.
Many thanks,
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

location is excellent if you are from heathrow airport. Just a few walk from the station.

Room is just ok, expected size (small)... all shower jel or body cream are provided.
Package included little snack bar... actually just coffee and one pack biscuit.
Kettle and hairdryer are provided and also a trousese ironer!

Just a problem with room air conditioner.... it was so noisy ... just like an engine running...I was phoning to reception about this issue, they have gone to my room and saw the problem... I just ask if they can arrange another room for me or fix it. I just got the reply of "no room available" and "will fix it tomorrow". OK that's fine! As they promised they would find repairman to fix and would leave a comment to tomorrow shift reception about our changing room request , we accepted "no room available" and slept with the noisy air-con for one night. Next morning, I confirmed with the reception again if they got the message from last night reception. They confirmed they got it and promised they would arrange repairman to fix that day. I chose to trust them rather than fight with them. I was back to hotel at 4pm again.... not yet fixed.... and then I went out again. finally i was back at 11pm.... result was "NOT FIXED", but the mircale thing was that we found 2 little chocolate on our bed desk.... did it mean they have gone to my room.. just for placing chocolate to us and not to fix my concern?! As I was very tired, i chose to sleep rather than fight with them for the air con (is that the result they want ?)

P.S For me, Sleeping quality is important. but It is quite curel for the travellers who need to cope with jetlag........

Room Tip: booking from Accorhotels.com would get the best rate
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank geegeeo_o
Dear guest,
We are very sorry to hear that your request was not dealt with quickly. I can assure you that we take any requests from guests very seriously and I do apologise that we did not fulfil our usual policy this time. I have personally spoken to the staff on this matter of the air conditioning and now all are checked prior to all guest arrivals. Thank you for your review and highlighting this so that we can improve. I do hope you will visit us on your next trip to London and we can better accommodate you.
Best regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

We had two separate rooms, a "king" and a double with twin beds. The "King" room had a queen bed and was so small that the bed took up nearly the entire room, no exageration. The bathroom was also tiny, with only a shower, no tub. It was about the size of a phone booth. Our teenage sons had a less expensive room with twin beds, a safe, a mini bar, a large bathroom with a tub. When I went to the front desk to discuss this discrepancy, the staff person tried to persuade me that the "king" room was a better room than the larger, less expensive twin room. She made no suggestions to address the problem. This was the only hotel we stayed in during our two weeks in the UK, including hotels elsewhere in London, Bath, Cotswalds, York and Edinburgh where there was a charge for WiFi. The front desk was useless. We felt ripped off. The hotel is close to Paddington which is why we stayed there but I wouldn't go back. I will say that the rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. FYI, the area is very close to the Arab neighborhood and although we didn't eat there, our mouths watered as we passed dozens and dozens of middle eastern style restaurants.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you for your valued review. We would sincerely like to apologise that you did not feel the rooms matched your expectations. I would like to assure you that we have looked into the staffing issue you have highlighted and taken action. I do hope that you would consider visiting us again when you are in London as I can assure you your enjoyment will be a priority to us, as all guests are.
Many thanks,
Medina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Nice, if pricey, hotel just 50meters from Paddington Train and Underground Staations. Decent size, well appointed room with good A/C and very nice bath/shower. The shower drain needed cleaning. I reported it as we went to breakfast and it was taken care of before we returned to the room 1 hour later. Breakfast at the attached Garfunkle's Restaurant was included in our room rate and it was a good one. Buss stop 25 meters from front door. While there are lots of restaurants in the immediate vicinity, none are particularly appealing. We did have "Tea" at the Hilton and that was a very good value [GBP14//person]. Other than tyhe high room rate, I give the hotel an enthusiastic thumbs up!

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anonymous8129
Dear guest,
Thank you for your thumbs up and kind review! I am very glad to hear that we were able to respond to your needs efficiently and you that enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to our hotel.