“Don't take the breakfast option!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure London Paddington Hotel

Mercure London Paddington Hotel
Ranked #474 of 1,089 Hotels in London
South Wales
“Don't take the breakfast option!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

Meals are served in The Garfunckel restaurant next door, it had to be the most dire breakfast I have ever been served in a london hotel! The hotel is great, ideal for the tube and main railway station but they seriously need to consider were they send guests for food. There must be better greasy spoon cafe's than Garfunckels!!!

• Stayed September 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ASM9633
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Dear Guests,
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on our Mercure Hotel Paddington. And that you found our hotel to be great for visiting London. Please accept our apologies regarding the breakfast offered by the Garfunkel’s restaurant. Please be assured we have worked closely with the managers of the restaurant to ensure the breakfast is considerably improved. Which I hope you could comment on should you visit us again in the future.
Malcolm Linforth-Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for two nights on 2nd sept. The room was absolutely tiny and ensuite tiny. The staff at the check in desk were totally unhelpful. On our second night there, we could not access our room as key wouldnt work and the porter was watching tv and did not want to be disturbed. Finally, he tried the room with the master key and it would not work., so we had to go to another room for the night. We were provided with one toothbrush between us as he couldnt find anymore. (He didnt try very hard anyway as he wanted to go back to his tv). Next morning we could not access our room until 10.20 and the staff at the desk did not care!. I would not in a million years ever stay at this hotel again. The staff there are not in the slightest bit interested in the guests at the hotel.

Room Tip: Do not accept a tiny room as there are bigger rooms there.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Margaret G
Dear Guests,
Please accept our sincere apology for the unexpected lock failure on your bedroom door. Fortunately this is a very rare occurrence that a bedroom security lock completely fails. The staff on duty called a specialist engineer to resolve this problem as soon as possible. Please also accept our apology that you felt the staff did not assist you further in your plight. We do hope that you allow us in the future prove to you and your friend that all our staff are 100% dedicated to or guests and their comfort.
Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

This is my third stay at this hotel. It is still wonderful. The rooms are small but this is normal for London. Fantastic staff, always helpful, always with a smile. My friend has never been to London before and she absolutely loved the hotel. I will definitely be going back again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
As always it is a pleasure to welcome you back time and time again. Many thanks for your continued business and hope to see you soon.
Huntley, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

We booked this hotel for a 3 day stay in London after a British Isles cruise. The hotel appears to have been recently remodeled and is in good condition. As almost anywhere in London, the rooms are small but are nicely appointed. The location couldn't be better: right across the street from the Paddington station with it's access to the tube and rail services. We had a room overlooking the street. and while you think there would be a lot of noise: there wasn't:: due to well insulated windows. We would definitely repeat the stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank rrmr62
Dear Guests,
Kind thanks for your review on your recent visit to London and thank you for choosing our Mercure Hotel Paddington to stay at. We are proud of our hotel and it location, which is perfect for any London visit. We always consider our guest wellbeing and sleep. Which is why we super insulate our windows to ensure a perfect night sleep? We look forward to welcoming you and your family back anytime in the future.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

I stayed here for one night in August. I arrived in London quite late in the evening, took the Heathrow Express to Paddington and finding the hotel couldnt have been easier! It literally takes you a minute to walk to the station from the hotel. When I arrived to the hotel I was greeted by a very friendly staff member and the check in process was very fast. I had requested a room on the higher floors and I got one on the 5th floor. The room was very nice, I know a lot of people complain about the sizes of the rooms but I knew this when I booked so I decided to book a double room instead of a single room and although the room was a bit small it wasnt that much smaller from rooms in other European hotels. I love the design of the room and of the hotel in general. Everything is very modern, very clean, everything works. The beds are a little soft but I slept very well though. The bathroom is really nice. The breakfast, which was included in my offer, was good although the service there could be improved as I actually had to walk around to find a waiter. The staff at the reception are really nice and helpful, I got to store my luggage and check-out was very speedy. I will definetly stay here again next time I'm in London.

Room Tip: If travelling solo I recommend booking a double room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank StefanOrn
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the feedback provided about your stay. Please be assured that i have shared your comments with the team.
It is true that we have rooms of a different sizes as the hotel is accommodated into a Victorian building and space comes at a premium in london.

all the team here is looking forward to welcome you again at the hotel.

Sincerely

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

The hotel is very nice and modern, right off Paddington Tube and Train Station which is very handy.

The executive room is quite small, but modern and brand new. The bathroom is awesome but no bathtub. The facilities were always very clean.

The only problem I had was that there was no iron at the room, but I phoned reception and they got me one straight away.

Tea and coffee are available in the rooom as well as complimentary still water and chocolates - a small gesture that makes the difference!! :-)

Overall, this is a excellent hotel either if you are on business or holiday. I would like to give a special thank you for the Mr. Basem and Mr. Witek , members of staff that were always very helpful and kind to me. Keep on the good work guys! :-)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2011
Dear guest,

thank you very mcuh for your review. I was pleased to her you have enjoyed your stay with us. Please be assured that i will pass on your comments to Basem and Witek, i am glad they were very hospitable to you.
We do have some rooms with bathtub should you prefer for your next stay, if you'd like to mention it at the time of booking we will ensure one is allocated to you.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

I stayed here on a recent business trip as the hotel I usually stay in was full due to take that being in town. The Hotel its self is well appointed however its was by far the worst experience I have ever had in any hotel in the world. I have travelled extensively throughout the UK, Europe, Asia and Australia and regard myself as very laid back where hospitality is concerned but absolutely nothing would make me stay here again and I have made sure my company of 6000+ UK employees do not use this hotel again either which is a shame as it is within 5 mins walking distance of our head office. When I arrived I was informed that they didn't have a booking for me, thankfully I had printed off the confirmation from the booking company otherwise I think they wouldn't have bothered trying to sort out their mistake. Eventually many phone calls later and half an hour sat waiting in the reception area (after a very long journey) I was finally checked in to the smallest double room I think I have ever seen up in the roof so there was a few places in the room that the roof was so low i had to sit down to access. There was no hot water so after a cold shower I wend downstairs to the over priced Garfunkel restaurant (as it was now too late to head into town). The place was almost full and as a single diner (which I find embarrassing enough to start with) I got the impression they were really not happy I was taking their last 2 seat table, the waiter was fairly abrupt and seemed far happier to be serving the many tables of American families who from their conversations had been there a few days and must have been good tippers. I ordered an over priced beer which was eventually dropped on my table without even a glance in my direction by said waiter whilst he passed by to service the family on the table next to me eventually he came back to take my food order of pasta and garlic bread. When the food came (quite quickly) it was cold and tasteless, I usually dont take salt or pepper on my food but put quite a lot on just to make it have any taste at all, hardly worth the £17 it cost, at no point did anyone come and ask me if the food was ok or if i wanted anything else etc. The bill (to put on the room) took them 25 mins to produce and sort out by which time I had missed the start of the apprentice so I decided I would hit the bar to finish off the rest of my room allowance. The bar its self is tiny but the bar man was curious and pleasant. I loved his conversation with the receptionist about them using the company facilities to do their washing that they bring in from home every shift, classy.

Even though I was on the 5th floor (in the roof) the road noise from buses etc was really bad but it eventually died down about 23.30 and I got off to sleep only to be awoken at 1.30am by a Chinese couple in the next room having a massive argument, not the fault of the hotel however the walls were so thin that it sounded like they were in my bathroom rather than next door. Finally they stopped arguing or maybe killed each other and I went back off to sleep only to be awoken at 5am by the traffic noise starting up again.

Breakfast was included in my booking which is a shame as I could kinda tell what was going to happen and McDonnalds was just next door but I thought I might as well give it a try. £7.59 got me 1 slice of toast, 1 (quite nice) sausage, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 half cooked fried egg, 1/2 a burnt tomato and 4 half mushrooms oh and a cup of tea. On the way back to my room I asked for a iron and ironing board 25 mins. later no sign of it so I called down to reception who said they would chase it up, its now starting to get towards the time I need to leave for my day of meetings, oh and still no hot water in the shower, eventually the worlds smallest ironing board (guess due to the size of the room i was for the best) turns up and a iron.

When I was checking out I was asked by the same girl who had been the only person on reception all the time I have been there if apart from the check in taking ages has everything been ok, I simply replied no... no it hasn't expecting to be asked what was wrong but there was no reply nothing, I did have to help her work out my bill for room service as it seemed too complicated for her, good job I have kept the receipts.

So im sat there on the train home thinking to my self maybe im being over critical and everyone else seems happy with the service but no sorry I find the story above unacceptable and I hope someone from the hotel chain does too as for recommending to stay here? Not a chance, the location is great and I dare say this is why it was full of tourists who are happy because its right next door to Paddington station I only hope they don't think all of the UK is like this.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank phil-and-suz
Dear guest,

i was sorry to hear about your experience at our Hotel during your recent stay. While i will shared your comments with the mamagment of the Garfunkel restaurant, would you be able to make contact with me directly so i can investigate further into details all the problems you had during your stay. That way i will be able to address the situation with my team and take necessary steps so to avoid such occurances from happening in the future.

You can contact me at cyril.donat@accor.com