“Smart, compact, and handy for Paddington”

Mercure London Paddington Hotel
Ranked #490 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This was my first experience of the Mercure chain of hotels, and I'm inclined to like them. I chose to stay here as I was attending a friend's 50th birthday celebrations on a boat on the Regents Canal, so my main criteria were (a) as close to Paddington Station/canal basin as possible, (b) clean and pleasant, and (c) not too expensive as I'd be spending very little time in my room. Research online suggested that the Mercure London Paddington met my requirements, as it's next to Paddington station (above a branch of Garfunkel's chain restaurants), and fell between 'cheaper-but-with-some-poor-reviews' and 'more luxurious but expensive' options.

My single room was - and the hotel booking process made this clear - extremely compact - which wouldn't have been ideal if I'd been planning to spend much time relaxing or working in it, but was fine for my purposes. Facing an internal courtyard meant it didn't have a view, but was lovely and quiet for central London, and I enjoyed a good night's sleep. Both bedroom and en-suite were decorated in a smart contemporary style, and the bed was very comfortable.

The staff I spoke to were pleasant and helpful. I didn't have breakfast at the hotel (having decided to wander up to Little Venice and breakfast on a barge... but that's another story), so can't comment on the food.

Would I stay here again? Yes, if a similar situation arose - I live close enough to London to be able to travel up for the day, but sometimes it's nice not to have to worry about the time of the last train home. Would I recommend the Mercure London Paddington to other travellers? Yes, if you're looking for somewhere clean and smart for an overnight stay close to Paddington Station, or are visiting London and not planning to spend much time in your hotel room - and with all the wonderful things to do in London, why would you?

If you do stay here or at one of the other hotels in the area, I recommend taking a few minutes to walk to Paddington Basin (just next to the station) and perhaps along the towpath of the Regent's Canal: surprisingly peaceful for central London, and you can take a boat trip from Little Venice to the Zoo, or to Camden Lock... And of course pop into the station to pay your respects to Isambard Kingdom Brunel - and to Paddington Bear...

Room Tip: My room faced an internal courtyard: so no view, but lovely and quiet, great for a good night's...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review on our hotel and we were pleased to read that you found our hotel exactly what you required during your short stay in London. I do hope you had a fantastic time at the 50th birthday and please pass on our birthday wishes.
We do look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Hotel Paddington in the future for a longer stay.
Group Operations Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,544)

Reviewed 20 July 2013

The room I stayed in was way too small! I knew it was small but didnt realise it was that small!! The receptionist named Ali was incredibly rude to me and talked to me as if I was an Idio*! He made me feel like I wasn't welcome there. Hotel maintenance knocked on my door to ask if he could come in and check the window hinges. This made me feel very uncomfortable as I was alone and this should be done when no guest is occupying the room! While I stayed here the elevator also broke down. The room service food was so bad I could not eat it and I was starving so that has to say something. I also ordered a chocolate milkshake which was warm and tasted like sour cocoa in warm water. However the concierge was extremely helpful!!! He was very lovely and went out of his way to do things.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank M A

Dear Guest,
Many thank for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We are surprised to read that you found everything appalling? Whilst we do accept that as a historic building we do have various room types and room grades, we feel we do clearly and honestly inform our guests what they are booking with both the description and pricing accordingly. With regard to our maintenance knocking your door to check a maintenance query, I can assure you our maintenance have been with us for many years and no guest should feel uncomfortable. He would have simply come back at an alternative time to suit you if mentioned to him. But we apologise for this disturbance. I would like to sincerely apologise that you thought our receptionist spoke to you rudely. We were very surprised to read this as he is one of our most senior long standing staff member who has only ever been complimented about from numerous guests throughout his years of service. But I do understand he was unable to assist you to upgrade your room due to the high occupancy level of the hotel, and again we apologise for this. Please be assured I have passed on your comments to the head office area manager of Garfunkels restaurant, who in turn as passed on their sincere apologies regarding the room service and milkshake and indeed they are investigating further of what occurred this evening.
On a good note I have passed on your kind words to our concierge whom you found very helpful.
We do hope you will consider using our hotel again should you be in London as we would be happy to ensure your next visit would be nothing less than perfect.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank greg-els
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

If its the convenience you want but not want to pay loads for Hilton, then this is the place for you. The room is not big but sufficient. Shower room is modern and clean. Hotel is next to a busy road but so is Hilton. Expect noise due to location but it will eventually quiet down. The double glazing is pretty good in my room and the aircon helps. Breakfast was in garfenkels so that was quite nice.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank tengtannd

Dear Guests,

As they do say Location Location Location. And we so agree the Mercure Paddington could not be better situated for staying and visiting London.

Many thanks for you kind review and we do hope you consider staying with us again next time you are in London.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

First time in London and very confused about where to stay, so I asked a x-colleague who recommended Paddington. Looking through Google Maps, I found the Mercure, and booked it due to its location next door to Paddington Station. Whilst it is not in the heart of the city, it is very convenient to the station, food, and the connection between the airport and London. The room I stayed in was tiny, but for my needs, it was ample, as the room was just a place to sleep, recharge my devices and freshen up.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank EverydayMum
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on our Mercure Hotel Paddington and we were pleased to read you recharged your battery whilst with us.

We do hope you consider using our hotel again should you be visiting London.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

My wife and I stayed in an Executive room (26 sq m) for 4 nights while on holiday in London. From prior research, I knew the standard rooms were too small for our needs, so I paid extra for the bigger room with the King size bed. The fridge had free complimentary soft drinks, which was a nice gesture. Chose this hotel for the location as Paddington station is a very convenient station.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PlanetOz

Dear Guests,

Thank you for you kind review and that you really enjoyed your executive bedroom with complimentary mini fridge and soft drinks.

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We spent a week at this hotel in June. As we had secured a very cheap room it turned out to be very small when we arrived. As this was the last week of a 7 week trip I didn't think I could cope with a poky room for a week. I asked if we could have a different room, expecting to have to pay, but we were offered two rooms, one that would cost more or one for the same price. The only real difference was the more expensive room had a small fridge so we took the straight swap. The hotel I felt was good value for money. I didn't particularly like Garfunkels restaurant that is on the ground floor but it always seemed to be busy and if you only wanted a basic meal it was OK. The best thing about this place is its location - just walk out the door, turn right, cross the street and you are at the Paddington tube station or walk past the entrance tot eh tube ad you are at Paddington train station. The area around the hotel I found quite interesting, particularly if you went left out the hotel and walked towards Edgware Rd. Some good Middle Eastern restaurants around this area, so while it looks scruffy I found it interesting. I found most hotel staff to be helpful, the room was clean, bed comfortable and our room was at the back so quiet. I think good value for money. A bonus was the Express train to Heathrow which was a very quick trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel and be prepared to ask to change rooms if the room you are g...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank maggie-mac54
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review on our hotel and we do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.