“Close to Paddington”

Ranked #480 of 1,068 Hotels in London
caribbean
“Close to Paddington”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was looking for an alternative to the $433 per night Paddington Hilton, which is so convenient coming from Heathrow, especially with a flight the next morning, but so overpriced. At about $100 per night cheaper, and right across the street (next door), the Mercure fits the bill. Rooms are much smaller but, unlike the Hilton Paddington, there is no charge for Wi-Fi in the room (and it worked good). Small bathroom but a great shower. HDTV but not a big selection for channels. I had a room on the first floor overlooking busy Praed Street and it was very quiet. Everything from fast food to restaurants to pubs within easy walking distance. The hotel also had complimentary breakfast at a Garfunkels restaurant, literally six steps from the front desk (full breakfast). Like all hotels in big cities, it is over-priced for the value, but it is clean, comfortable, and convenient to Paddington Station/Heathrow.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are delighted to read that you found our rooms very quiet, clean, comfortable, and convenient.
We do look forward to welcoming you back again should you need to be in London.

Your team at The Mercure Paddington

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I chose this hotel because I could earn mileage points and because of its location, right next to Paddington station, which was perfect for me (going to/from the airport and Oxford, and being close to a number of Tube lines).

The room is the smallest hotel room I've ever been in (in this sense, I feel it was a bit overpriced), but everything worked very well (bathroom, cleaning and so on). I must add that the hotel staff was very nice, and they kept (at no charge) packages I had ordered to be delivered at the hotel before my arrival (some of them quite big).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review the Team and I are delighted that you experience good service. And we apologise that you found our room smaller than expected. But we do hope due to our location and service provided you would consider using us again in the future. And we do look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel
Your team at the Mercure London Paddington
Nashville
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have stayed here and reviewed this hotel before, but it's been a couple of years so I thought I'd post a new review. When I first walked into my room I was worried that my 2 suitcases and I couldn't all fit into the tiny single-bed room at the same time, but I made it work just fine. For all that the room was barely big enough to contain the bed, myself and my cases, it was modern, clean as a pin, and had a very nice, modern, clean bathroom. Even a nice terry robe in the closet! I arrived after midnight, having come in on a flight from Chicago into Heathrow, but found no lack of helpful staff to welcome and assist me. Really, I can't say enough nice things about both the night and day staff--they were courteous, professional, and obviously concerned for my well-being and comfort. Being just on the corner at Paddington, this hotel is convenience at its best.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. We do apologise that you found our room smaller than expected. But we were glad to read your comment about our modern clean room and bathroom. Our entire were pleased to read your comments about them. And we do hope to welcome you back on your next trip to London.
Your team at the Mercure London Paddington
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Great place to stay so easy to catch transport tube or buses. Staff were very helpful when we arrived the first time in August about 7.30am our room was ready & again in September we stayed for 8 days after traveling around Europe. Staff let as have late check out as flight wasn't till 6pm

Room Tip: King bed room large
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lindsay m
Dear Lindsay,

Thank you so much for your Great comments on our hotel. The team and I are delighted to read that you had a great time with us and we do very much looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Your Team at the Mercure London Paddington
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in late October, room was small, but that's standard for London hotels, room was very clean, staff were great and location was very central to everything. Especially Paddington station which gives you access to stansted and Heathrow airports. Great hotel for the money

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank mattrx3
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experiences at our hotel. We do apologise that you found our room smaller than expected. We are glad to hear that you were satisfied with your overall experience in our hotel. We were pleased to read your good comment about our staff. And we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Your Team at the Mercure London Paddington
hull
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have stayed in this hotel numerous times when in London on business. The reception area has always been welcoming and I have never had to wait for than a few minutes to be checked in. On two occasions the room that I booked was upgraded free of charge as they had superior rooms available which was a nice surprise. I chose to have breakfast in the restaurant next door each time, and there is a large choice of continental and cooked english breakfast items to choose from on the menu. The rooms are light, airy and contemporary and have always been very clean. I would not hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: check with the reception desk as to whether you can be upgraded for no extra charge on the day.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Katie D
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear Liz
Thank you for your fantastic review on our hotel and we were so pleased to read everything was perfect for you and you will recommend us in the future.
We do hope you consider using our hotel again in the future.
Malcolm Linforth-Jones
Group Operations Director
Washington, Dc
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Great location for getting back to LHR....Excellent rooms...and attentive staff. I have not stayed at this location before, but it will be on the top of my list for my next visit to London and the Paddington area!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank standard09
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on our hotel and we were pleased to read you enjoyed our location location.
We do hope you consider using our hotel again in the future.
Malcolm Linforth-Jones