“Convenient location and fine for 1 night”

Mercure London Paddington Hotel
Ranked #481 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Convenient location and fine for 1 night”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

As the titles says, very hand for Central London and trains from Paddington.

However, despite getting a complimentary upgrade on arrival, the room I had was still on the small side, the aircon was so noisy I had to switch it off when in the room and at night there is a lot of noise from the road so open window is not an option.

Picked the hotel as it had a gym, but this is very small and basic and the room was very hot so a long workout was quickly forgotten about.

Breakfast is at the adjoining Garfunkel's next door, though only a cold buffet option, hot food as to be ordered. Was overcooked when it arrived and sausages and bacon were both very very salty. The waiter also unnervingly seemed to 'patrol' his area with an eye on you at all times, is he worried I'm going to run off with the sugar jar?

Would stay again as a last resort due to its location (as I did this time), but would not consider more than a one night stay and get brekkie elsewhere as plenty of places to choose from in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ChrisW178
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear ChrisW178,

Thank you for your feedback.

Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to king executive. Our small doubles are very compact indeed, however the other room types that we have are highly praised for being spacious.
Our gym offers a wide range of cardiovascular, strengthening and weights equipment. It is a disappointment to read that it was not up to your satisfaction.
Your comments regarding Garfunkel's have been passed to the restaurant manager who has asked for her apologies to be linked with mine.
Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in order for you to experience a more enjoyable stay.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wiltshire
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Like others, I had one of the tiny rooms. Tiny means you can't sit on the loo straight as the wash basin overhangs the space! So, compact is a polite word for, in fact, not quite enough space to jam everything in! I was at the front and road noise is definitely an issue: ear plugs are offered. The room was clean.
I arrived at midday and told my room wasn't ready. Was told I could sit in the bar area as I needed to work. This is again, tiny: 4 chairs and a low table with a TV on and music playing. On request they turned the TV off. However, fun and games revolved around the catering staff having furious arguments with each other (about the catering to downstairs meeting rooms) in this area despite my presence. The moment I stood up to go to the desk, they took over the area and laid out the food there! As the manager realised what was going on, at my request found that my room was now ready and fortunately I could leave this scene behind. Not before the most rude member of staff who was really acting out and now swearing started on the manager who asked him to step into the office.
I ate with others in Garfunkles: this is a very busy, rather tatty caff that I would not return to. The staff were pleasant but service was VERY slow and food low grade.
Overall, I wouldn't have a meeting here or return out of choice though it's definitely convenient for Paddington as others have made clear.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WiltshirePhilippa
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Here's the good news: the Mercure is clean, functional, and its location directly adjacent to Paddington Station cannot be beat. We stayed there one night specifically to have an easy walk to Paddington to catch the Heathrow Express for a flight back to the US, and we needed 60 seconds to get from the front door to the train. Nice neighborhood.

Here's the bad news: our room was small even by London standards. We were put on the fifth floor-- don't do this, because that floor is roof level and has sloped walls that make the space even more cramped. The hotel advertises free wi-fi but this is true only in the strictest interpretation; the free speed is the slowest speed, and most irritating, you can only sign up two devices per room-- that's not really feasible for the modern traveler with laptop, phone, and iPad, plus spouse with the same. The free wi-fi speed is so slow as to be nearly useless.

Room & bathroom were spotless, staff quite friendly and eager to be of service. Really, it's just the small room size and limited wi-fi that are problematic. But we paid $215 (tax included) so like I said, fair price for a fair room.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on Floor 5!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt K
Dear Matt K,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to king executive. The small doubles are compact indeed, however a lot of our guests prefer them as they are value for money.
We are aware that at times our internet connection can be slow. We are in the process of upgrading the system and very soon we will have super fast fiber optic broadband in the entire building.
I hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and you will be inclined to come and stay with us again. My personal recommendation, for future stays, would be to book one of our executive rooms as they are very spacious and accommodate a king size bed.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed overnight on the way back from holiday as it was convenient for Paddington Station and we were not possibly going to be able to make the last train back to S Wales. Good check-in and helpful staff. Rooms are compact but OK for a stop-over. Clean & tidy. Restaurant is run by Garfunkels with access from reception - arrived late so only had breakfast - good service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Mike C,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient for your needs.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back anytime you are in the Paddington area.

Clevedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

One night business stay for a morning departure from Paddington. Clean, comfortable enough. Small rooms, but fine for a short stay and at the back of the building remarkably quiet. All staff charming. Odd breakfast arrangement with adjoining Garfunkels. Unless you've got breakfast in your room rate, maybe consider something on the station concourse. Good value, though for the location and my rating takes that into account.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear TonyCherry,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We are delighted to see that your 1 nights stay went well and that we have served our purpose.

I hope we will get the pleasure of welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Stone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This was a pricey hotel (£135) and I was amazed that it did not include breakfast when I arrived. The lift was very hit-and-miss (unless you worked out the secret code that means getting out of the lift twice, jumping back in and then pressing your floor number three times in quick succession! Door key card didn't work, so back down to reception (after a weary travel), and then having fun with the lift once again!

The room was clean and tidy but so small! (especially for the money). No bar to speak of, no restaurant (other than the one next door - which was absolutely rammed). Pubs and restaurants closely were the same - so it was a takeaway watching telly lying on the bed.

Breakfast was a joke. I was told to get a voucher in the restaurant - but as I had already checked out - wasn't possible. I ordered the full english - it came with two burnt sausages and no bacon. I asked the waitress if the bacon should be included but she didn't understand what I was trying to say. I was in a rush to get to my nine o clock meeting so couldn't really mess around too much more.

I travel a lot on business and I have to say that this was one of my worst experiences

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephen B
Dear Stephen B,

Thank you for your review.

Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to king executive. The small doubles are compact indeed, however our guests prefer them as they are value for money in Central London.
We advertise various room rates, some of them include breakfast and others don't. My personal advice for future stays would be to specify when booking the room that you are interested in a rate that includes breakfast.
Your comments regarding the quality of breakfast at Garfunkel's have been taken on board and will be shared with the restaurant manager.
I hope you will not judge solely on this experience and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to enjoy a faultless experience.