“Great location, small rooms”

Mercure London Paddington Hotel
Ranked #471 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Orlando, Florida
“Great location, small rooms”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was only in London for 1 night and we chose the Mercure London Paddington based on the proximity to Heathrow. It was a very quick, 1 stop ride on the tube . The hotel is centrally located in a charming area of NE of central London. The lobby is very small and the rooms are modern but SMALL by American standards. Europeans might not have an issue with the space though. Reasonably priced and centrally located. I was traveling with friends so the space wasn't much of an issue, but I wouldn't stay here if I was traveling with family.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review. We are pleased to read that you found our hotel have a great location.

Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to king executive. For future stays should you require a more spacious room, my personal recommendation would be one of our Executive rooms. They are spacious and accommodate a king size bed.

We look forward to welcome you back at our hotel.

Front office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel is well-situated adjacent to the Paddington tube and overland rail stations, and thus is ideally located for those coming in from Heathrow, and in need of a spot to touch down for one night. Having said that, be warned, this is perhaps not only the tiniest hotel room I have ever occupied, but short of the Japanese bunk-style hotels, the smallest hotel room I have ever seen. Clean, yes. Livable, yes. Fully appointed, yes. But TINY!!!! I mean bathroom-door-banging-on-my-knees-when-sitting-on-the-loo tiny. I mean hard to move about without tripping over the bed tiny. TINY, full stop.
Having said that, the staff was pleasant, the room was quiet, and the location is strong. I didn't try the resto, so I can't comment. As for value, I think with a bit of planning, one could find a larger room in the area for the same money, but it is what it is.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure London Paddington Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to king executive. For future stays should you require a more spacious room, my personal recommendation would be one of our Executive rooms or Privilege rooms. They are spacious and accommodate a king size bed.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure London Paddington and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Kindest regards

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

If you are looking for accommodation for your hamster, this is the ideal hotel. It is clean and the rooms are tiny. So tiny in fact that there was no room for our suitcases. Nor for the two of us to pass each other.
This closet (hardly justifies the label hotel room) was so tiny that, to use the toilet, your left side was pressed up against the glass of the shower, while your right side was wedged under the sink.
Exorbitantly priced, this hamster palace has only two things to recommend it: super clean and close to Paddington railway station. Neither of these positives is sufficient to justify the $700 price tag (per night).
The manager, Basem Mohamed, was absent and unavailable when we wanted to complain. The two cheerful receptionists (Larisa and Carolina) had no authority to deal with our dissatisfaction.
We will never stay in a Mercure hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay aware from this rip-off
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bryan K
Dear Mr. Bryan K,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure London Paddington Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to king executive. The small doubles are compact indeed, however our guests prefer them as they are value for money.

I hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and you will be inclined to use us again.

Best regards

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

6 weeks, 29 different UK hotels and this was the WORST hotel experience in the entire trip.
Paddington has a plethora of hotels to choose from, DO NOT waste your hard earned holiday dollars at the Mercure Paddington.
My credit cards will be cancelled the day I arrive home, as I DO NOT trust the security of the Mercure Paddington.
Apart from inept, snooty reception staff, while we were out for the day after checking in someone entered our room, moved our personal belongings, closed the curtains and moved cushions to the bottom and centre of the beds.
When we confronted the reception person we were told “you should have gotten a turn-down service with chocolates left on the pillows/bed”. We received no turn down, no chocolates, just evidence of someone having been in our room.
This is also the only hotel that wanted a copy of my passport, credit card imprint (standard request and I always have my card ready) but also wanted £40.00 authorisation on a room that was fully paid for prior to arrival and a room in which there was no mini-bar to require an imprint.
Just 2 weeks ago my friend had credit card fraud on her account – airline tickets purchased and the thief was able to complete the transaction because they had a copy of her passport which had been taken by only 1 hotel. Cancelling a credit card is an easy and safe option after a long trip, cancelling your passport is not.
I requested the photocopy of my passport at check out. I suggest you do the same at any hotel that copies your passport details.
Other minor issues -
1. On the 2nd day BOTH our keys would not work and was told by reception that it was OUR FAULT because we stored them in our wallets. (This is where we stored room cards for all other 28 hotels with no problems.)
2. You can hear every conversation and door closures emitting from the hallway and toilet flushing in room next door.
3. Free Wi-Fi - yes 256KB of data, the you have to pay for the internet.
4. No ramp at front door or near reception areas – you have to carry/lift your bags up several steps.
5. Tiny single elevator
DO NOT TRUST this hotel with your financial / personal security. Book somewhere else, there is plenty to choose from.

Room Tip: Dont stay here, choose another hotel close to Paddington Station.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Belinda B
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review,
I was disappointed to read your concerns and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused

Regarding Credit card when a guest pre-paid for the stay at the time of the booking they are required to bring that particular card with them to prove they are the cardholders. This is a hotel policy put in place to prevent fraudulent charges.
The pre-authorization taken at the time of check in is a common practice amongst hotels. The pre-authorization is used to guarantee for any additional charges. Upon check out we use the pre-authorization to complete payment or release it if the guest does not have any extras.
I hope this clarifies your concerns and should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel.

We hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and you will be inclined to stay with us again.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed 5days @Mecure Paddington on arrival was upgraded to a larger room the staff were Friendly and nothing was a problem, extremely close to the station and tube close to bus stop . The Heathrow Express dropped us @ Paddington station very short walk to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dean M
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel the Mercure London Paddington, We are very pleased to read enjoyed our very handy location and quality.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel on my recent stay in London on my UK 2014 holiday. Check in was efficient. The staff are very friendly and helpful - in particular when I had to use the internet for a banking problem. The room itself (205) was lovely! It had all the facilities - large double bed, wardrobe space (which I didn't use), TV, Desk/chair and ensuite with shower/toilet. I didn't use the restaurant (for breakfast or dinner) as there as so many eateries/pubs close by!!

LOCATION!! Can't get much better really. Located literally next door to Paddington Station (tube and heathrow express - 15 min from heathrow!!) so easy access around central London.

Overall a very lovely stay and I may stay here again if and when I am next in London!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Guest