“Size doesn't matter”

Mercure London Paddington Hotel
Ranked #499 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Based on our thorough research, if you want to stay in a comfortable hotel in the center of London you will need to compromise on either of the following: location, room size or price. The most important items for us were price and location so we didn't mind the small room at all. The location of the hotel is perfect if you are getting to London from the airport by Heathrow Express as Mercure is situated literally on the corner of Paddington station. Also, if you have London Zoo and Regent's Park in your travel agenda you couldn't ask for better location. Hotel staff were friendly, smiley and helpful. In spite of the room facing the street we were not disturbed by the city noise. Breakfast is served in a nearby restaurant or Indigo Hotel but as an alternative, there are lots of less expensive places to eat nearby.
We would recommend this hotel as our experience was very positive.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Linforth, Front Office Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear OlgaRoz,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review, our team is so pleased to read your comment.
We are pleased to read that you like our perfect location.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back next time you are in London

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed one night and had pre-paid the room a month before, and funds had been taken. On check in, I gave a 'spare' card for their security take, as it saves tying up funds on my active card. To my amazement, that also wanted a swipe of the card I pre-paid with. Asked why, I was only told 'for security'.

Now they had taken a copy of my passport (the only hotel in 12 European cities that did so, except for 2 in Russia), and I showed them the card I had pre-paid on AND they had a swipe of my 'security' card. I am an Accor gold member and showed them that card as well. There could have been no doubt at all that I was who I said I was, and that I had used my own card to legitimately do the pre-payment. Yet they still wanted to swipe it. I refused and eventually they did a note saying that I had declined to allow the card to be swiped. I was happy to sign that.

A small issue, but I am fed up with hotels taking greater and greater liberties with cards, passports etc. I felt sorry for the check-in guy, who was only following management's orders. I suspect the procedure is designed to ensure that the pre-paying card is at least sighted. If so, management should trust their staff more.

Again, this was the only hotel across Europe which I pre-paid and was asked for the pre-payment card (all Accor hotels). In fact, a number of the hotels didn't even ask for a 'security' swipe!!

As it happened I was upgraded (or at least that's what they said) and the room was small, rather than tiny, although the bathroom was still tiny. The room was on Praed Street and only a little noise could be heard from outside; but ear-plugs are provided!

On check-out, I asked for the copy of my passport back and this was met with a bit of a huff.

Great location, but its not unique in that regard and I wouldn't choose them again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I was disappointed to read your concerns and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Regarding Credit card, when a guest pre-paid for the stay at the time of the booking they are required to bring that particular card with them to prove they are the cardholders. This is a hotel policy put in place to prevent fraudulent charges.

The pre-authorization taken at the time of check in is a common practice amongst hotels. The pre-authorization is used to guarantee for any additional charges. Upon check out we use the pre-authorization to complete payment or release it if the guest does not have any extras.
Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to king executive. For future stays should you require a more spacious room, my personal recommendation would be to book one of our Executive rooms.
They are spacious and accommodate a king size bed.

I hope this clarifies your concerns and should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel.

We hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and you will be inclined to stay with us again.

Kindest regards,

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel is just beside Paddington Station and is very convenient for exploring London and to the airport. However, the rooms are extremely small. Our first room was noisy and we could hear the buses drive by as well as the trains move. Our request to move was granted and the front desk was very polite about it. The second room was bigger, though not by much. We had a few nights of good sleep only because there was no one in the room next to us. On our last night in London, a couple had apparently checked in the room next to us because we could hear them talk. The lights in the room was spoilt; it blinked even after being switched off the whole night so we had to use eye shades. I hope this problem had been looked into. We were not too fond of the area as there are no major supermarket chains like Tesco or Waitrose, only overpriced minimarkets. No good restaurants either. On a good note, the room service provided lovely hot chocolate, tea, coffee and English cookies. The cleaning service was good and reception was good as well. However we would not come back unless we cannot find better alternative.

Room Tip: The higher floor are quieter, as long as you do not have a neighbour.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

For future stays should you require a more spacious room, my personal recommendation would be one of our Executive rooms. They are spacious and accommodate a king size bed.

We do hope that you consider using our hotel again in the future were we can assure you a perfect stay and experience.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

If you've read reviews here before you book you'll know the standard rooms are small.

On a bank holiday weekend, during the Notting Hill Carnival, I got a room for just over 100 pounds, right next to Paddington and the Heathrow Express and with easy connections to the whole of London.

The bed was comfy, There was plenty of tea and coffee and toiletries. The staff were helpful and cheerful.

For a short stay this is absolutely fine.

More than a couple of nights and the lack of space would start to irk. So if you're doing a week in London, look elsewhere, but don't book this place then moan on Tripadvisor!

Room Tip: High floor for less noise
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guests,

Please accept a massive thank you from my team and me for your recent stay and review on our hotel. It really does mean so much to our team to know they are appreciated.

We do hope you consider using our hotel again next time you are in London.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The hotel is very well located, right by paddington station, surrounded by restaurants, shops etc. Unfortunately the room was very small, but it was perfectly functional. We could hear the tube going by underneath occassionally, but that's life in central london. One thing that was poor was the breakfast which had been delegated to Garfunkels on the corner attached to the hotel - selection of food was ok-ish, but the service was very poor (I guess they knew they weren't getting tips on the hotel provided breakfast) and the waitress had no idea what marmite was... a stalwart of british breakfasts!

Room Tip: Pick a room on a higher floor to avoid tube noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SnowEasterBunny

Dear Guest ,

Many thanks for your recent review, we are pleased that you found our location is very well located
We do apologise that your booked room was smaller than expected. Should you return to us I would like to recommend you try one of our larger executive rooms which I know you will enjoy.

And please accept our apologies on behalf of Garfunkel’s restaurant and will make sure to pass it to Garfunkel’s management.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The location of this hotel is great, right next to Paddington, the room, although very nicely decorated was tiny and for £150 wasn't good value. The staff were less than friendly at check in and check out took ages, with just one person checking out, despite there being another two people behind the desk. One literally just standing there and the other faffing with paperwork. Very frustrating !

For that price there are better places to stay

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Stephen,

Many thanks for your recent review on our hotel and please do accept our sincere apologies that you booked room was smaller than expected. Please also do accept our apologies that we were currently training new reception member who were unable to assist yet on checking you out quicker.

Malcolm