“Everything went wrong, very, very poor service, not what you expect from a Hilton!”

Ranked #331 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I am writing with regret about a recent stay at your Park Lane Hotel. I have stayed in the past and have enjoyed it there, it is in a lovely location and very suitable for my needs, however I was staying at the property last night, and am so concerned by what I encountered throughout the stay so I need to point this out to you. I have been with the Hilton Brand for many years so it is always a great disappointment when you stay at a property which does not meet expectations. I must say it is on rare occasions, but it does really put me off the brand when things do not go to plan.

The first thing which concerned me was the incredibly slow check in process. We arrived at the hotel at 12:00 (after previously requesting an early checkin by phone). I was told that wouldn't be a problem and the room would be ready. When I turned up I was very disappointed to find that it was not yet ready, and that I had to wait 1 hour for the room to be cleaned. Well, it wasn't ready after 1 hour, or 3 hours. Infact the time the room was ready was 15:30 and that was after changing to another room as the original room still had not been cleaned, even though it was on priority for over 3 hours!! This is terrible service, especially in a 5 star hotel of the calibre of yours.

To add to this, the key card we were given originally did not work in the room. I had to travel up to the 25th floor, to go all the way back down to reception, wasting even more time. Once this had been sorted, it was not set up for executive lounge access which therefore caused further delays when attempting to access the executive lounge. This errors simply should not be happening at your hotel.

When arriving in the room, I must add that I was not impressed, that the cleaner who had made up the room had left the air conditioning set to the coldest possible temperature and the fan on 'High' meaning it was like a freezer in there. It took ages to warm up, and was really quite discomforting to us.

There was also bulbs of two of the room lights which were not working and as a result was very dark in the room. I requested that they were changed by the reception, and it took them all day until they turned down the room in the evening to have this fixed, and they only fixed one light. So the overall lighting still was not efficient for us. Quite simply after all of this we just did not have the energy to make another call and tell them about this. I should not have too.

I also need to note that some of the furniture found in the room seemed very dated/damaged and was in need of modernisation. Those cabinets to be honest were not very nice and are in need of a refurbishment.

In light of what has happened, I can't see myself staying in your hotel again anytime soon, and it has quite simply put me off the brand. I had a few stays planned shortly for London and am considering other arrangements after this very dis-satisfying experience.

6 Thank Philip H
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your constructive review.

We have spoken via e-mail at this stage, and while I very much regret that you have had such an experience here with us, I am pleased that we have come to a mutually positive conclusion on this matter.

Thank you very much once again for your patience and understanding, and if you do have any further enquiries, requests or feedback please do contact me again at david.gerrard@hilton.com.

London Hilton on Park Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
brazil
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayrd at club level and had a second room for our kids.

The Staff was efficient and professional. I liked the fact that we felt welcome , even when traveling with children , which can lead to frowns in some places.

The rooms are quite spacious and beds are very comfortable. The bathroom perhaps could be nicer , altough the toiletries were very high end.

We enjoyed the breakfast and snacks in the lounge... A lot of Arabic food which was delicious.

The location is superb- the kids loved Hyde Park and my husband had a run there.

The mini bar is verrrrry expensive , avoid!

A great choice for London.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Madam,

I am very happy to read that you have had such an enjoyable stay with us. Whether our guests are coming alone for a business trip or with a whole family in tow, we do strive to provide a warm welcome and appropriate amenities, and I am pleased that you have experienced this with us. It sounds like you all had a fantastic time in Hyde Park, and that the breakfasts and lounge were well-enjoyed.

Thank you very much for letting me know that your stay was such a positive one, and I look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed with Hilton on Park Lane Sept 5-6 on short business trip. Flawless, quick and very responsive service, no signs of any post-Olympic fatigue ...
Staff was kind enough to upgrade me to a small suite with a simply remarkable view of the city, London eye, the Shard and everything. Had to work so ordered room service for late meal, quick service despite heavy load and food really as good as it can be when served on a tray ...
Had a few minutes to spare in the morning so got a shoe shine, very friendly chap who gave me the run down on the Olympic event from a Londoners perspective, really the type of perspective you do not get in the FT or Economist ... so simply a great stay and as it should be at Hilton. Thanks.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your recent review.

The Olympics was a once-in-a-lifetime event for us here at the London Hilton on Park Lane, and while we were of course sad to see them end, we were back to business in our usual fashion in no time. I am so pleased to read that your stay during this period was flawless, and I do look forward to having you back with us in the future.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Lovely hotel in a very central location. Closest subway station is Hyde Park Corner which is conveniently on the Picadilly Line making it very easy to get to heathrow. Staff were very courteous and as people below have mentioned before, would bend over backwards to help you. Shame that wifi is only free in the lobby but otherwise I would definitely come back !

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DeniseGold
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and review.

I am delighted to read that you have had such an enjoyable stay with us. It gives me great pride to read about how courteous and helpful our team was while you were here. The personal touch that you have described is what the London Hilton on Park Lane is all about, and I am so pleased that you were able to experience this first-hand.

Thank you very much once again, and I hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Salcombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Went to London to take part in an awards ceremony for the Pub industry and decided to treat ourselves to staying the night at the Hotel hosting the awards: The Hilton on Park Lane. I have never paid so much money to stay in a hotel anywhere - but all I can say is WOW!

We somehow got upgraded to the 24th floor as we had a choice of larger room or views and we went for the views. The vista laid our before us was totally spectacular - we could see over the back of Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament and many other spectacular landmarks. That alone was worth the money. But the room itself was delightful and the bed and the pillows they used were beyond comparison!! Wonderfully clean with great toiletries, nightime low level lighting and electric blinds. We neither ate or drank outside of the function, as I must say that the prices were eye wateringly high - but the market it clearly caters for can afford it.

It may well prove to be one of very few times that I stay in such a high end of the market hotel but it is a memory I hope I will carry with me for many years.

Room Tip: The higher up you go the better the views of our capital City!
1 Thank hampshirelillibet
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your recent stay.

I am very pleased that you decided to treat yourselves with a stay here at the London Hilton on Park Lane while attending the in-house awards ceremony.

The views from the rooms, particularly up on the higher floors, are unparalled, and I am so pleased that you were able to enjoy them so on this stay.

Thank you very much once again, and please do feel free to contact our reservations department at reservations.parklane@hilton.com to perhaps work out a positive price for all involved for your next trip to London.

UK
Reviewed 15 September 2012

This is the 2nd time I have stayed at this Hilton and my experience did not live up to the first.

On the positive side the location is great and the service is excellent (especially for a Uk hotel).

I was checked into a room on the 6th floor, which when I arrived absolutely stank of smoke. On request I was moved rooms, to be fair immediately and without having to go all the way back to reception (they brought new keys to me). My new room on the 7th floor was clean tidy and smell free however the rooms now look really tired and dated especially the bathrooms.

The hotel does provide all the extras a 5star should but it definitely needs further renovation. The breakfast in the morning is brilliant however service was slow at peak times.

All in all a good experience but would have expected to have been wowed.
If you want to be on Park Lane I personally think Grosvenor House is better

When I stayed last year I was on a much higher floor which have been fully renovated and are lovely. So if you go ask for a high floor ( also the views are spectacular over Hyde Park).

Room Tip: Choose a high floor room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am sorry to hear that your most recent experience was not to your satisfaction as much as your initial stay was.

While I am pleased that our team was able to move you to a new room after the initial one proved to be smokey, I do apologise that even the new room was not to the standard that you had expected. We have renovated the vast majority of our rooms since 2011, however there are a small amount that are scheduled for refurbishment in the coming year.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast and that you had a nice experience, however I am sorry that you did not feel the "wow" factor that we do strive to provide on this stay.

The next time that you plan a visit to London, if you would like to contact me at david.gerrard@hilton.com I would be happy to see if we can arrange something more to your liking.

Thank you very much once again for your review, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We selected the London Hilton on Park Lane after looking where to use our points for a 3 night stay. It was between this Hilton and the Hilton Tower Bridge. Although both have plus and minuses, I really believe we picked the best one. The Park Lane Hilton is a tall great looking hotel. We received an upgrade to access the Executive Lounge and that was a real nice addition. Our room was great size, clean, and really modern and nice. The best thing about this hotel was everyone we met bent over backwards to help us. From the Front Desk to the Concierge, Doorman, and Executive Lounge reception, everyone there gave us great straightforward advice and were genuinely interested in helping making our stay wonderful. Since this was our first time to London, the location was great. Its a short walk to the Underground which will bring you everywhere. We had no issue getting to all the "must see" places on our list. Its a short cab ride to the fantastic night life and bars at Covent Gardens. If you don't want to go far, there are some great pubs and restaurants at the end of the street behind the Hilton. The walk to Piccadilly Circus is also short (15 mins) and from there you can hit all the great shopping at Regent Street. Harrods is also short 10-15 minute walk away. The night club at the Hilton seems to be the hot spot for late night young partying, but we didnt go there. There are several nice restaurants on the property but we didnt have time to go to them. We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

1 Thank Kyleinno
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and review.

I am delighted to read about the positive stay that you have had. Your kind words regarding the service that you have received fill me with pride, and I have ensured that the Front of House department heads have been made aware of what you have said. I am glad that you have enjoyed the restaurants and pubs in the Mews, and that the location did prove so beneficial for yourselves.

Thank you very much once again, and we do look forward to having you back with us again in the future.