“Could be better!”

Ranked #339 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed with Park Lane Hilton our wedding night on the 18th of July this year, due to the circumstance of London Olympic event upcoming within the month, there were security gates set up outside the main entry and all the residents have to go through bag scan and body search that normally you will experience only in the airport. It did not cause us much trouble at all, although it was a bit confusing getting our heads around trying to find the main entry of the Hotel at the beginning and We have been on the property numerous occasions before.

We checked in at around 23:30hr and were very disappointed when we got informed the bars were all closed and we only can order drinks through IRD. Thanks to Olympic again! Check in was quick and easy and we went up to our suite on Level 12. The room was spacious and bathroom was clean.

There were some complementary fruit plates and 2 separate plates of pastry with double cream served separated on congratulate of our marriage on our arrival in the room, great gestures although I am not too keen having dairy product served to me that have been clearly out of the refrigerator and had a thick layer of milk film skin on the top.

And our Champagne bottle was swimming in a bucket of melted iced old water in the ice bucket! I guess they were delivered prior the "normal" check in time, although it would be nicer for a bit of attentions to detail when the guests were still due to check in later.

IRD was quick and on time for both of our late night supper and breakfast, one more crucial let down I have to point out here, We had 2 single beds been put together in our suite! I could not believe my eyes and I have to say, we stayed many hotels around the world and I am amazed that the FRONT OFFICE, whoever allocated this room for people's wedding night offered them 2 single beds! I bet YOU wont be happy if that was your wedding night!

The overall experience could be better!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank CG0521
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

From what you have said, it really sounds like while the intentions of our team members were good, at the end of the day the implementation was not correct, and for this I must apologise. It is one of the great difficulties of this sort of event: while it is better to have specialised amenties in the room prior to the arrival of a guest rather than delivered, on the other hand if the guest arrives late it is imperative that the situation is monitored accordingly, and I have ensured that the proper parties have been notified of your experience.

The split beds I must admit are very shocking. While we do have the option to split the beds in certain rooms, why this would be done for a couple arriving on their wedding night is, I am afraid, beyond me. Please do contact me at david.gerrard@hilton.com, and I will be happy to investigate as to how exactly this has happened.

Thank you very much for your constructive review, and I do hope to hear from you going forward.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Thanks Hilton, Upgraded to a suite on a rewards stay, access to the executive lounge and free internet. Staff were great, we arrived at 1100 our room was still occupied, we received a phone call at 1230 telling us our suite was ready, great, thanks.
Ok at the risk of appearing unappreciative I have a few observations for the breakfast team to work on. It does not take 15 minutes to cook two poached eggs, the team forgot my first request (I think), the eggs materialised eventually and although I asked for medium eggs they were very underdone, the toast on which they were sat was black on the reverse side. The bacon was covered in emulsified white gunck (the residual product of the added water to the bacon). these are very very basic quality control issues and hopefully just a momentary blip. The aforementioned observations did not spoil the overall stay which was great, thanks. Top tip use the Vinci car park outside the hotel, its £22 online for the entire overnight stay (weekend).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Service Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am very pleased to read that you were upgraded to one of our Suite-style rooms on this reward stay, and that although your room was not ready upon your arrival at 11am, that our team did follow up at 12:30 with the upgrade and ready room.

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding the breakfast, and I very much apologise that the quality of the items you received were not of the quality that you should expect from the London Hilton on Park Lane. I have forwarded your review to the head of our Food and Beverage department, who is following up with his team as to how this has happened.

Thank you very much once again for your kind words and constructive critiques, and I look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

I am writing with regret about a recent stay at your Park Lane Hotel. I have stayed in the past and have enjoyed it there, it is in a lovely location and very suitable for my needs, however I was staying at the property last night, and am so concerned by what I encountered throughout the stay so I need to point this out to you. I have been with the Hilton Brand for many years so it is always a great disappointment when you stay at a property which does not meet expectations. I must say it is on rare occasions, but it does really put me off the brand when things do not go to plan.

The first thing which concerned me was the incredibly slow check in process. We arrived at the hotel at 12:00 (after previously requesting an early checkin by phone). I was told that wouldn't be a problem and the room would be ready. When I turned up I was very disappointed to find that it was not yet ready, and that I had to wait 1 hour for the room to be cleaned. Well, it wasn't ready after 1 hour, or 3 hours. Infact the time the room was ready was 15:30 and that was after changing to another room as the original room still had not been cleaned, even though it was on priority for over 3 hours!! This is terrible service, especially in a 5 star hotel of the calibre of yours.

To add to this, the key card we were given originally did not work in the room. I had to travel up to the 25th floor, to go all the way back down to reception, wasting even more time. Once this had been sorted, it was not set up for executive lounge access which therefore caused further delays when attempting to access the executive lounge. This errors simply should not be happening at your hotel.

When arriving in the room, I must add that I was not impressed, that the cleaner who had made up the room had left the air conditioning set to the coldest possible temperature and the fan on 'High' meaning it was like a freezer in there. It took ages to warm up, and was really quite discomforting to us.

There was also bulbs of two of the room lights which were not working and as a result was very dark in the room. I requested that they were changed by the reception, and it took them all day until they turned down the room in the evening to have this fixed, and they only fixed one light. So the overall lighting still was not efficient for us. Quite simply after all of this we just did not have the energy to make another call and tell them about this. I should not have too.

I also need to note that some of the furniture found in the room seemed very dated/damaged and was in need of modernisation. Those cabinets to be honest were not very nice and are in need of a refurbishment.

In light of what has happened, I can't see myself staying in your hotel again anytime soon, and it has quite simply put me off the brand. I had a few stays planned shortly for London and am considering other arrangements after this very dis-satisfying experience.

6  Thank Philip H

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your constructive review.

We have spoken via e-mail at this stage, and while I very much regret that you have had such an experience here with us, I am pleased that we have come to a mutually positive conclusion on this matter.

Thank you very much once again for your patience and understanding, and if you do have any further enquiries, requests or feedback please do contact me again at david.gerrard@hilton.com.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayrd at club level and had a second room for our kids.

The Staff was efficient and professional. I liked the fact that we felt welcome , even when traveling with children , which can lead to frowns in some places.

The rooms are quite spacious and beds are very comfortable. The bathroom perhaps could be nicer , altough the toiletries were very high end.

We enjoyed the breakfast and snacks in the lounge... A lot of Arabic food which was delicious.

The location is superb- the kids loved Hyde Park and my husband had a run there.

The mini bar is verrrrry expensive , avoid!

A great choice for London.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Dear Madam,

I am very happy to read that you have had such an enjoyable stay with us. Whether our guests are coming alone for a business trip or with a whole family in tow, we do strive to provide a warm welcome and appropriate amenities, and I am pleased that you have experienced this with us. It sounds like you all had a fantastic time in Hyde Park, and that the breakfasts and lounge were well-enjoyed.

Thank you very much for letting me know that your stay was such a positive one, and I look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed with Hilton on Park Lane Sept 5-6 on short business trip. Flawless, quick and very responsive service, no signs of any post-Olympic fatigue ...
Staff was kind enough to upgrade me to a small suite with a simply remarkable view of the city, London eye, the Shard and everything. Had to work so ordered room service for late meal, quick service despite heavy load and food really as good as it can be when served on a tray ...
Had a few minutes to spare in the morning so got a shoe shine, very friendly chap who gave me the run down on the Olympic event from a Londoners perspective, really the type of perspective you do not get in the FT or Economist ... so simply a great stay and as it should be at Hilton. Thanks.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your recent review.

The Olympics was a once-in-a-lifetime event for us here at the London Hilton on Park Lane, and while we were of course sad to see them end, we were back to business in our usual fashion in no time. I am so pleased to read that your stay during this period was flawless, and I do look forward to having you back with us in the future.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Lovely hotel in a very central location. Closest subway station is Hyde Park Corner which is conveniently on the Picadilly Line making it very easy to get to heathrow. Staff were very courteous and as people below have mentioned before, would bend over backwards to help you. Shame that wifi is only free in the lobby but otherwise I would definitely come back !

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DeniseGold
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and review.

I am delighted to read that you have had such an enjoyable stay with us. It gives me great pride to read about how courteous and helpful our team was while you were here. The personal touch that you have described is what the London Hilton on Park Lane is all about, and I am so pleased that you were able to experience this first-hand.

Thank you very much once again, and I hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

Went to London to take part in an awards ceremony for the Pub industry and decided to treat ourselves to staying the night at the Hotel hosting the awards: The Hilton on Park Lane. I have never paid so much money to stay in a hotel anywhere - but all I can say is WOW!

We somehow got upgraded to the 24th floor as we had a choice of larger room or views and we went for the views. The vista laid our before us was totally spectacular - we could see over the back of Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament and many other spectacular landmarks. That alone was worth the money. But the room itself was delightful and the bed and the pillows they used were beyond comparison!! Wonderfully clean with great toiletries, nightime low level lighting and electric blinds. We neither ate or drank outside of the function, as I must say that the prices were eye wateringly high - but the market it clearly caters for can afford it.

It may well prove to be one of very few times that I stay in such a high end of the market hotel but it is a memory I hope I will carry with me for many years.

Room Tip: The higher up you go the better the views of our capital City!