“Spectacular”

GreenLeadersSilver level
SAN JOSE
“Spectacular”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Spent 3 days this month Sep 2012 at Hilton on Park Lane, Mayfair District. Excellent proximity to all the city sights. Taxis are always available. Bus stops close by as well as the tubes. As a Diamond member, had access to Executive Lounge. They served more than just a continental breakfast; Tea time at 3:00, Hors d'ouvre were served at 5:30... substantial enough that we didn't have to go to dinner. Room was spacious with spectacular view. From the hotel, it was an easy walk to the Buckingham Palace and Marble Arch. Signed up for tours with the concierge who helped us picked out the tour... Windsor Castle, Tower of London including a sumptous buffet lunch at Harrods. The tour bus picked us up at the hotel. My hats off to the Executive Lounge staff who were so patient in helping me with my IPad. What is so interesting about this hotel is the elevator! There are no buttons on the wall to press. There is a stand that holds an electronic pad that has numbers, just enter your floor and it directs you which elevator to use. Awesome! This hotel is an absolute 5 SHINING STARS and it is due to all the friendly staff who treats their guests with fine white glove.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank rhodora56
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I am most pleased to read that you have had such an enjoyable stay with us here at the London Hilton on Park Lane. I will pass on your gratitude to the staff in the Executive Lounge, as it sounds like you had a wonderful time in there throughout your stay.

Thank you very much once again, and I do look forward to having you with us again next time.

London Hilton on Park Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Spent a few nights there with my teen daughter and loved the location for getting around London. We used the buses and the subway (during the rain storms) and once we figured out how to use the pedestrian underpasses and not try to run across the street, we were good to go. The valet staff was most helpful with us figuring out how to get around by bus and taxi, while the front desk, although very professional, could lighten up a bit and not be so formal when dealing with "non business" travellers. Our room had an awesome view of the Eye and Big ben and the room very clean and comfortable. Loved the nightly turn down service, especially after coming in late each night from the theatre.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am so pleased that the location of our property worked out so well for you, and that the valet staff were so helpful in directing you around London. It sounds like the view and the room itself were both to your liking, and I am very happy that this was the case. Hope you enjoyed the shows at the theatre!

Thank you very much again for your review, and I look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Saint Louis
Reviewed 27 September 2012

The Park Lane Hilton is, first and foremost, in an excellent location from which to walk or take public transit around Central London. The whole area is nice, right next to Hyde Park and Greens Park, a walk to most of the areas of greatest interest in London. The views from the hotel rooms are, as far as I can tell, all excellent.
Beyond the location and the views, it's a fairly standard Hilton takeover of an existing hotel building. The beds are comfortable, the staff keeps the place clean, and the elevators are very fast. The rooms, by London standards, are fairly large. However, the initial design of the hotel results in a few things that are off. The bathroom layout is not quite convenient, not up to the standards of modern hotels in, say, Spokane. The closets are a bit small. There's a minbar, but no refrigerator for guest use.
The food at the hotel is distinctly average. Having tried all 3 of the hotel restaurants, I would recommend against any of them. Of course, this is London, a city not really known for good food. The executive lounge has a breakfast and snacks available. This is OK, limited somewhat by the penchant to always base a meal on hummus. Hummus is enjoyable, but you'd like some variety.
Given the relatively high charge for a room of about $600 per night (including tax), you'd expect better, even in Mayfair.
So, overall, you'll be able to get a better hotel room for a much lower cost in Topeka or San Diego or LA, but then you wouldn't be in the center of London.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better for the view. Try to get to the 17th floor or higher. I think all the vie...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your detailed review.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the views from the room, and that the location was so to your satisfaction. I am also happy that the bed was comfortable and that the room was clean and large.

I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from regarding the Executive Lounge food items during your stay. Variety is the spice of life, and your comments have been made known to those in charge of these items in order that they may provide more differentiation between choices.

Thank you very much once again for your review, and I do look forward to having you with us again in future.

Richland, Washington
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Quiet, quiet, quiet. Those are my three requirements for a hotel and the London Hilton passed with flying colors. From check in to check out my wife and I really enjoyed our stay. Even staying on a reward night we were upgraded to a bigger room on the 25th floor with fantastic views. I ordered a bucket of ice and a couple of champagne glasses from room service and they were at our door in less than five minutes. That's what I call service. Will stay here again when I visit London.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors on the same side of the elevators. Great views of the city.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your review.

I am delighted to read that your room upgrade was so to your liking, particularly when it comes to the quietness level. For me, while of course all of the amenities and luxury touches are important, a nice relaxing evening is the most important aspect of a guest's stay, and I am so pleased that this was your experience at the London Hilton on Park Lane.

Thank you very much once again, and we look forward to having you with us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed with Park Lane Hilton our wedding night on the 18th of July this year, due to the circumstance of London Olympic event upcoming within the month, there were security gates set up outside the main entry and all the residents have to go through bag scan and body search that normally you will experience only in the airport. It did not cause us much trouble at all, although it was a bit confusing getting our heads around trying to find the main entry of the Hotel at the beginning and We have been on the property numerous occasions before.

We checked in at around 23:30hr and were very disappointed when we got informed the bars were all closed and we only can order drinks through IRD. Thanks to Olympic again! Check in was quick and easy and we went up to our suite on Level 12. The room was spacious and bathroom was clean.

There were some complementary fruit plates and 2 separate plates of pastry with double cream served separated on congratulate of our marriage on our arrival in the room, great gestures although I am not too keen having dairy product served to me that have been clearly out of the refrigerator and had a thick layer of milk film skin on the top.

And our Champagne bottle was swimming in a bucket of melted iced old water in the ice bucket! I guess they were delivered prior the "normal" check in time, although it would be nicer for a bit of attentions to detail when the guests were still due to check in later.

IRD was quick and on time for both of our late night supper and breakfast, one more crucial let down I have to point out here, We had 2 single beds been put together in our suite! I could not believe my eyes and I have to say, we stayed many hotels around the world and I am amazed that the FRONT OFFICE, whoever allocated this room for people's wedding night offered them 2 single beds! I bet YOU wont be happy if that was your wedding night!

The overall experience could be better!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CG0521
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

From what you have said, it really sounds like while the intentions of our team members were good, at the end of the day the implementation was not correct, and for this I must apologise. It is one of the great difficulties of this sort of event: while it is better to have specialised amenties in the room prior to the arrival of a guest rather than delivered, on the other hand if the guest arrives late it is imperative that the situation is monitored accordingly, and I have ensured that the proper parties have been notified of your experience.

The split beds I must admit are very shocking. While we do have the option to split the beds in certain rooms, why this would be done for a couple arriving on their wedding night is, I am afraid, beyond me. Please do contact me at david.gerrard@hilton.com, and I will be happy to investigate as to how exactly this has happened.

Thank you very much for your constructive review, and I do hope to hear from you going forward.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Thanks Hilton, Upgraded to a suite on a rewards stay, access to the executive lounge and free internet. Staff were great, we arrived at 1100 our room was still occupied, we received a phone call at 1230 telling us our suite was ready, great, thanks.
Ok at the risk of appearing unappreciative I have a few observations for the breakfast team to work on. It does not take 15 minutes to cook two poached eggs, the team forgot my first request (I think), the eggs materialised eventually and although I asked for medium eggs they were very underdone, the toast on which they were sat was black on the reverse side. The bacon was covered in emulsified white gunck (the residual product of the added water to the bacon). these are very very basic quality control issues and hopefully just a momentary blip. The aforementioned observations did not spoil the overall stay which was great, thanks. Top tip use the Vinci car park outside the hotel, its £22 online for the entire overnight stay (weekend).

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Service Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this review, 4 October 2012

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am very pleased to read that you were upgraded to one of our Suite-style rooms on this reward stay, and that although your room was not ready upon your arrival at 11am, that our team did follow up at 12:30 with the upgrade and ready room.

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding the breakfast, and I very much apologise that the quality of the items you received were not of the quality that you should expect from the London Hilton on Park Lane. I have forwarded your review to the head of our Food and Beverage department, who is following up with his team as to how this has happened.

Thank you very much once again for your kind words and constructive critiques, and I look forward to having you with us again in the future.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I am writing with regret about a recent stay at your Park Lane Hotel. I have stayed in the past and have enjoyed it there, it is in a lovely location and very suitable for my needs, however I was staying at the property last night, and am so concerned by what I encountered throughout the stay so I need to point this out to you. I have been with the Hilton Brand for many years so it is always a great disappointment when you stay at a property which does not meet expectations. I must say it is on rare occasions, but it does really put me off the brand when things do not go to plan.

The first thing which concerned me was the incredibly slow check in process. We arrived at the hotel at 12:00 (after previously requesting an early checkin by phone). I was told that wouldn't be a problem and the room would be ready. When I turned up I was very disappointed to find that it was not yet ready, and that I had to wait 1 hour for the room to be cleaned. Well, it wasn't ready after 1 hour, or 3 hours. Infact the time the room was ready was 15:30 and that was after changing to another room as the original room still had not been cleaned, even though it was on priority for over 3 hours!! This is terrible service, especially in a 5 star hotel of the calibre of yours.

To add to this, the key card we were given originally did not work in the room. I had to travel up to the 25th floor, to go all the way back down to reception, wasting even more time. Once this had been sorted, it was not set up for executive lounge access which therefore caused further delays when attempting to access the executive lounge. This errors simply should not be happening at your hotel.

When arriving in the room, I must add that I was not impressed, that the cleaner who had made up the room had left the air conditioning set to the coldest possible temperature and the fan on 'High' meaning it was like a freezer in there. It took ages to warm up, and was really quite discomforting to us.

There was also bulbs of two of the room lights which were not working and as a result was very dark in the room. I requested that they were changed by the reception, and it took them all day until they turned down the room in the evening to have this fixed, and they only fixed one light. So the overall lighting still was not efficient for us. Quite simply after all of this we just did not have the energy to make another call and tell them about this. I should not have too.

I also need to note that some of the furniture found in the room seemed very dated/damaged and was in need of modernisation. Those cabinets to be honest were not very nice and are in need of a refurbishment.

In light of what has happened, I can't see myself staying in your hotel again anytime soon, and it has quite simply put me off the brand. I had a few stays planned shortly for London and am considering other arrangements after this very dis-satisfying experience.

6 Thank Philip H
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your constructive review.

We have spoken via e-mail at this stage, and while I very much regret that you have had such an experience here with us, I am pleased that we have come to a mutually positive conclusion on this matter.

Thank you very much once again for your patience and understanding, and if you do have any further enquiries, requests or feedback please do contact me again at david.gerrard@hilton.com.