“Please Skip This Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Please Skip This Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Our family reserved this hotel to finish off a month long stay in Europe as our plans included a return flight from London. We booked the Mayfair Suite at 550 pounds per night for myself, my husband and our 7 year old son (just as we book suites at all hotels to offer us space and privacy). The hotel is in a great location, within walking distance to Buckingham Palace but the advantages stopped there. Our suite was 2 rooms, barely. We had one single closet and not enough room to unpack 3 carry on suitcases. The suite had only one bathroom, with no separate toilet, making accommodations a bit tight. But, we did have a view of the London Eye. We tried to purchase sightseeing tickets from the concierge on the city's hop-on-hop-off bus/boat tour, the same tour we do in virtually every city we visit. Twenty minutes later, we were still trying to purchase the tickets from a concierge who was nice but didn't speak enough English to fulfill our basic request.

The executive lounge offers snacks and full bar and closes at 11 so we planned to go there after dinner for a night cap. We arrived at 10:30 to find everything had been cleared out. Another guest informed us that the staff clears all of the food and drink at 9 pm. Really? Why stay open until 11? So, we retreated to our room to order a bottle of wine from room service ... but no room service menu. So, we called down to have a menu delivered. After reviewing the 5-6 offerings of red wine, we called room service to order the Barolo. The person answering from room service didn't understand our order and passed us to another person ... who didn't know what a Barolo was ... and passed us to another person, who asked us if Barolo is a red wine. Please remember, this wine is from the room service menu. We asked this last person if he spoke English and he answered "maybe" and told us they would have to call us back. Later, we were told they were out of the Barolo we had ordered. They offered a Chianti instead but we declined and decided to go to bed. Fifteen minutes later, a waiter knocked on our door with a bottle of Chianti - and a bill for it. We again declined.

Oh, and we have to pay for Bloomberg TV (despite the 500 pound per night rate).

We have had the privilege of staying in some incredible hotels during our month in Europe - The Shelbourne in Dublin, the Gray in Milan, the ME in Madrid, the Dumar in Valencia, the Park in Memmingem and the AC in Nice. Of all of these hotels, this hotel was the highest price with the poorest and most frustrating service. I suggest you look elsewhere for your next trip to London.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank S0ulshine
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Relations Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear S0ulshine,

Thank you for your recent feedback.

I am very sorry to read that your stay here with us was not to your satisfaction.

In order for me to properly investigate this situation, if I may please request for you to contact me at david.gerrard@hilton.com with your name and dates of stay.

Thank you very much once again, and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We went for chocolate afternoon tea after getting a voucher from Groupon. What can I say, it was fabulous!!!!! The food was great, sandwiches, scones, mini cupcakes and more!!! We were so impressed with the service and there was no rush to finish and leave, the servers explained everything and there was a vast choice of tea. I also love the fact that anything you didn't eat was carefully packed for you to take away. It was a fantastic experience and one I will certainly be repeating!!!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly S
Dear Kelly S,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am thrilled to read that your afternoon tea experience here with us was so positive for all involved. By all means, we would be more than happy to have you back with us any time!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Recently stopped at the grovsner ab fab but so was the hilton as harry hill would say fight amazing wonderful staff breakfast out of this world nothing was any trouble fantastic views luxury rooms beautiful

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank emmaloolooy
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Relations Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear emmaloolooy,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am thrilled to read that your stay was so good, and that the breakfast was out of this world.

Please do contact us directly when you plan a return and I look forward to having you back here with us at the London Hilton on Park Lane.

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Fantastic Suite would like to thank Abdul especially for making my 21st birthday a memorable day could not have asked for anything any better Abdul your the man you are what makes a hotel excellent the Hilton should be privileged to have you working for them

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Jack B,

Thank you so much for your recent review.

I am most pleased to read that you have had a great stay with us, and your kind comments have been raised with Abdel to thank him for his great efforts.

fife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Great location in London managed to get an upgrade due to the fact I'm a Hilton honnors member,executive bar is what you would expect from Hilton group unlike the shambles that is Glasgow,breakfast was enjoyable with menu to cater for everyone cannot make comments on the restaurant as we never had time to eat in them. Keep up the good work Hilton group

• Stayed July 2014
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Relations Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear deek2310,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and review.

I am very happy that you have received a nice upgrade on this visit, and that the breakfast was of particular enjoyment for you.

Thank you very much once again, and we look forward to haivng you back with us again in the future.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed for just one night - as a birthday treat. Staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful. Lovely location opposite the park, and surprisingly quiet. Hotel sent up a birthday cake, fruit bowl and card, which made our stay extra special. We especially enjoyed the afternoon tea! Would stay again! Also, can recommend London Zoo and feeding the Giraffes!!

Room Tip: Opposite the park had a lovely view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear IamfromMars2014,

Thank you very much for your recent stay.

I am so pleased that you have had a great birthday visit here with us, and I'm glad that the giraffes didn't make off with your afternoon tea!

Thank you very much once again, and I hope to have you with us again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past few weeks. The first time (going to a concert in Hyde Park) because I got a good deal, the second (a cricket match at Lord's) because I enjoyed the first time.
I stayed in the same room both times (2320 - take no notice of people moaning about elevator noise, it's barely noticeable and I'm an incredibly light sleeper). The room has a city view which is wonderful.
I didn't use any restaurants or bars but I did use room service. The pepperoni pizza and rocket salad are lovely and not vastly overpriced, and the breakfast is probably the best I have had in any hotel. The minibar prices are astronomical (it's a central London hotel, everything is expensive), so check before you remove anything as it's charged automatically.
I can't quite remember the name of the young lady who checked me in. I think it was Kristen or Kirsten. The first time I stayed she told me she was a trainee and it showed! Last week her confidence and abilities had had grown immeasurably. A great reflection on both her and the hotel.
I look forward to staying again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Shirley F,

Thank you very much for your recent stay.

I am very happy to see that you have had such a great time with us during both of your stays. I will certainly make sure that all areas of the hotel that you have praised are made aware of your kind words, in particular Kristen in our Reception team.

Thank you very much once again, and I look forward to having you with us again in the future.