“Good Location and Room with a View”

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Ranked #216 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“Good Location and Room with a View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott County Hall for 5 nights on our just completed trip to London...our first. I am a Marriott Rewards Gold member and used points for stay.

The hotel has a grand feel when you enter with lots of dark panel and deep red carpets. The location is good but we actually liked the Trafalgar Square area better (where we stayed our first 3 nights). The Westminister bridge is a zoo to cross. Very crowded and all sorts of gypsy types conducting games of chance to trick folks out of their money. People with snakes and costumes for photos, trinkets for sale, several food carts, and just an overall carnival feel. I was surprised they allowed all of this activity on such a busy bridge made even worse by all of the construction around Parliment and Westminster underground station.

We had a wonderful King room on the 2nd floor with windows that overlooked the Thames, Big Ben and the London Eye. While there was always activity under our windows after about 9:30pm it was quiet. The hotel has a set of double windows that really block out noise. The bathroom was of average size and provided toiletries of good quality except for bath soap. There was a tea kettle with complimentary teas and they left two packages of shortbread each day. We did have about a 150 yard walk from the elevator to our room but not complaining.

Since I am a Marriott Rewards Gold member we received access to the Executive Lounge that included a decent breakfast and free snacks, wine, beer and soft drinks from the late afternoon thru the evening plus complimentary internet. We were able to take bottled water to our room. Free Breakfast and internet saved us a bundle. We did not eat at any restaurant. We looked at the menu but felt it was expensive compared to pubs and other restaurants in the area.

The staff was friendly and helpful although we did not have a lot of interaction. Bellman were there to help with luggage and cabs and the front desk efficient. Housekeeping always cleaned the room early and delivered chocolates each evening.

We had a wonderful stay at the Marriott County Hall and would stay here again if the opportunity presents itself.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

I saved up all my miles/points from decades of business travel for two huge trips to London (my kids are huge theatre lovers). 4 years ago we stayed at this location and loved it - rated it among the best in my decades of travel.

This year we booked it as the last three nights of 14 night trip. I could not afford this hotel for that many nights so we saved it for the end to be the capstone on our trip.

Whoa baby was I wrong. What a difference 4 years makes!

- Promised connecting rooms (as a Marriott gold member) for the stay - they were not given on night one. They blamed Marriott reservations - but by night two I doubted that Marriott HQ was at fault.
- I was promised that this would be corrected for night two - they made another mistake and this did not happen - still no connecting rooms.
- One of the rooms had a LOUD and clunky AC unit. Now since we travel with and sleep with white noise machines - realize that this was loud enough to be heard over the sound machines!
- I had multiple issues with items (Internet) being charged incorrectly.
- They room keys failed to work 4 times. (14 nights in England - only occurred at this one location so it was not my wallet or some other electronic device I had that was interfering with the key)
- Executive lounge was in a room with a view - but no AC. It was unstaffed most of the day which meant it was often out of ice, missing bottle openers to even open the drinks they had.
- Front desk staff were horribly under trained - not at all up to Marriott standards.

The guest relations manager did her best to try and address our room issues - but every time she made a promise (and I even saw here give clear and specific directions to the front desk staff) they messed it up.

To the hotel's credit - they refunded 50% of the cost of my stay - but that was after 6 visits to the front desk during my stay and 4 emails to Marriott after my return home.

At least the beds were still cozy - the saving grace of the hotel along with its premiere location.

I also stayed at the Premier County Hall which is in the same building and sadly that discount hotel was almost as nice as the County Hall (which is saying much as the Premier is an a discount hotel without air conditioning and it was a hot August in London).

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank dagsmith
New York NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

The location of this hotel is excellent, in South Bank, a couple hundred yards over the Westminster Bridge to the Parliament buildings/Big Ben. The property is adjacent to the London Eye and Festival Hall, so there are a couple of decent places to have lunch or dinner.

As for the hotel, the entrance is has a grand, old world feel and the doormen are very helpful. The concierge desk was also pretty helpful for sightseeing activities (London Tower, etc...); (Note: I would try to avoid using the concierge for theatre tickets as all they do is call a broker and sell you significantly marked-up tickets. (We were able to simply go to the box office on the day before and buy great matinee tickets (which the broker didn't even have) for face value...)

Our main problem with the hotel was that it was hopelessly understaffed. One employee at the front desk and one at the concierge desk for a hotel of this size at the height of tourist season is ludicrous. The "queues" at both the concierge and the front desk in the mid-to-late mornings were often quite long.

The hotel is a converted government building and the size of a very big city block. This means that, as it was in our case, one's room can be a very long walk from the elevators. Really long.

The hallways are very tired and are reminiscent of college dormitories, with the plainest wood doors imaginable and visibly worn carpet.

The rooms were also quite mediocre. Although each of our two rooms was a decent size, they were each in an odd L-shaped configuration, so the beds were in a somewhat cramped corner of the room. The bathroom fixtures, although charmingly old fashioned, leaked and were difficult to operate.

Overall, this is a very ordinary hotel and below-par for a European Marriott.

, although I would not think to use them for any theatre arrangements as all they do is call a broker

Room Tip: Ask to be relatively close to the elevator
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Atlanta, GA USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

I have stayed at this Marriott many times over the years - but will not again. The only thing Marriott County Hall has going for it at this point is the location. This is not a 5-star property - in no way. In some ways, it is even 2-star. The food is awful. The makeshift "Executive Lounge" is a converted banquet hall with a very poor, low quality selection of food items. They were moving the temporary Executive Lounge back to the original location, which they also admit was too small which supposedly was the reason for moving it to the larger banquet type room. Powdered eggs (they were disgusting to look at and tasted even worse), some low quality meats left uncovered to dry out, and a couple bowls of fruit. Fortunately, I was not paying for this access - their room categories that include "Executive Lounge" access are precisely for this access as the rooms are no different without it - I would be very upset if they were charging for this awful food and atmosphere. Now the rooms - so damp, musty, and smelled of mold that my clothes would get practically wet. The AC blows but does not work properly. They have even put portable fans in the rooms to help circulate the air! So, obviously, they know there is a problem. Executive management is invisible and not accessible - I'm sure they would be bombarded with complaints so the only face to the public is the front desk staff who obviously has been trained to smile and say complaints will be handled but then do nothing. The tub would not drain, The place even appears dirty - the hallways, walls, and general condition of the property outside of the lobby area need total refurbishment and renovation. Prices are exhorbitant, as is typical in London but 5-star hotels with exorbitant pricing at least have luxury available to guests without compromise. Marriott's in general have gone downhill in recent years - they are not in the same category as true 5-star properties anymore. The London Marriott County Hall is no exception - this is really a 3 - 4 star property all around. This place is fine for tourists with kids for a couple days, but if you are expecting any degree of true luxury and high quality, this is not the place to spend this kind of money.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank ATLTravelsALot
Clare, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

We are Silver card holders so we booked this to use some of our many points
.Good points:
Our room was very well appointed, However, we could wave at the people in the "eye" pods! No issue at night though, and the bed was wonderfully comfortable. The staff on check in were very helpful and polite, as were all the staff we came in contact with.
Not so good pomts:
We only had one Hot Chocolate and two tea bags in our room on checkin, so called housekeeping and requested one more Hot Chocolate and two more tea bags - Were assured they would be "right there" - Stll not arrived by the time we checked out!!
Came back from the Theatre and went to the bar for a drink - waited a good 15 minutes after we had ordered, although the bar was not busy - however only one person behind the bar.
Breakfast - we went down to breakfast about 10am. Ordered cooked, but told waitress that we would have fruit /cereal first - as previous reviews - it came whilst we were still eating our fruit etc. The bacon was dried up and the scambled egg was awful - obviously had been sitting around for a considerable time - I sent mine back. The waitress was very apologetic, and it was taken off our bill.
If they are going to serve breakfast until 11am, then it still should be freshly cooked - then it would arrive after the cereal - not during! Having breakfast later should not mean you get what is "left".
We have stayed in Marriotts all over the world and I am ashamed to say, that as far as catering is concerned, the worst one was in England.
We were also told, via an internet query, that we could use points to pay for food and beverages, but County Hall told us that this was not possible???

Room Tip: Unless you want to wave ate the
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Oakland, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed with 2 adults, 2 kids in an "executive" room which means we had access to the executive lounge. Our room was fairly large with two queen beds, a spacious desk, medium sized bathroom. Everything was clean and in good condition. Our room looked out directly on the Thames and was very close to the London Eye, we felt like we could reach out and touch it.

Pros: excellent location with fabulous views of Big Ben/Houses of Parliament, London Eye, and the river. Near both Westminster tube and Waterloo tube/railway station. The trains to Hampton Court and Salisbury (for Stonehenge) both leave from Waterloo. Nice rooms, good fitness center although somewhat awkwardly fitted in to the space as noted in other reviews, with the pool on a different floor than the workout space. Staff seemed nice and our rooms were cleaned promptly and thoroughly each day.

Cons: thought the executive lounge was not really worth the premium. Although most of the breakfast food was OK, there was not that much of it and the scrambled eggs (which were the only eggs offered) were horrible. I think they were powdered or something, very odd texture and flavor. The rolls were also dry and tasteless. They did have good croissants, very good coffee, OK fruit. Also unless you went early the lounge became impossibly crowded, it is quite small for the size of the hotel. They need to cut back on the number of guests with access or expand the lounge.

We stayed here 5 years ago also and noticed a similar problem from before: many of the wait staff do not speak English passably. We were given complimentary drinks at the lounge when we checked in because our room was not ready (a nice gesture.) Our waitress really appeared to have no idea what we were saying to her beyond the actual names of the drinks and could not communicate with us. Given that this is an American hotel chain in an English-speaking country, I think the management should require a higher level of English skills for those staff that have to communicate directly with guests.

Also had horrible problems with the internet all week, which another frequent guest said was abnormal; she stays there regularly and that was the first time she had had problems. I requested that the internet charges be take off our bill (since it was an astronomical £15/day) and they took off half the charges, which I thought was kind of grudging.

The hotel is quite expensive but overall I think it's a good value for families, because you can get a 4-person room that is quite spacious, instead of having to rent two rooms. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
bangkok
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

I experienced similar to other visitors with respect to certain aspects of service after our recent stay. Firstly our hotel room was a five to ten minute walk from the lifts. This was swiftly changed following a fire alarm going off ten minutes after arrival. Note ask for rooms near the lift access as this was the farthest I have ever had to walk to a room. The rooms are dated and bathrooms way behind modern times. The hotel check in and out had waits of over ten mins due to lack of staff. The staff themselves are professional whereas the issue is the lack of them. This is the worst Marriott I have stayed at with regards to service and feel, the corridors are long and have a hospital feel. Information is lacking and the fitness facilities require special access rights and trips to another floor of the hotel, basically you have to go between floors to even get into the facility aka crystal maze style! The location is great but you can stay at premier inn for a similar type of service and feel. I Stayed at Hilton tower bridge the first few nights and was well worthy of five star rating and significantly better value.

Room Tip: Book the higher room numbers. I stayed in 402 which was a trek from the lift
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple