“Breathtaking!”

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Ranked #155 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I was there for New Year's and this place is THE place to stay. Amazing views of the Thames and it's 30 seconds from The London Eye. The Underground station is a 5 minute walk.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for London Marriott Hotel County Hall

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed with my wife for 2 nights in Early January.

Time for me to disclose.....I like Marriott hotels, the rooms, the food, and the comfy beds.

I'm pleased to confirm that the County Hall did not disappoint.

Check in was simple and straight forward, and we were given room 414. The room was large by London standards, and had two comfy chairs as well as a couple of desks, a table, and of course the comfy bed. The room was spotless. We had a view of the Thames and also the London Eye.

We only had breakfast to eat in the hotel, which was nice and of good quality. Beware though, if you are not on a bed and breakfast rate, it costs £22!! It's not worth that price, and I would recommend a number of pubs nearby doing a full English for £8.

Without exception, all the staff we spoke with were really friendly and eager to please.

We'd love to go back there, though the price of the rooms means its only for very special occasions.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Joolsleeds
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I used points and paid a 40 pound upgrade for a river view room. After being shown three different small oddly shaped rooms I slipped the bellman a fiver and was suddenly offered a large room with four poster king size bed room number 344. My advice is don't settle for the first room they offer and don't be shy about providing a small gratuity. It's an old hotel converted from a public building so it seems to have more than a normal share of goofy rooms.
Room 344 has a great bath which fills in minutes but they keep the water scalding hot so be careful! The concierge lounge served a decent breakfast but I don't think they know how to make scrambled eggs which were pretty marginal. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Neal B
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed here on xmas eve and the night before as we were in London for the 2 days. Check-in was a breeze & we were told that our room was in a "quiet are" of the hotel. What that actually meant was a very long walk to the other side of the hotel but I can't complain as the room made it worthwhile. Lovely room with entrance area, bathroom, "lounge"-type area with desk & 2 armchairs, large bed and dressing room with wardrobe & drink-making facilities. The view out of the window was towards the Thames along Southbank and overlooking part of the London Eye and a temporary ice-rink.

Had bar snacks in the bar once we'd settled in and saw the menu for the restaurant xmas dinner so asked to book a table on xmas eve only to be told it was fully booked however the staff were amazing an managed to get us in at 18:30 so long as we could vacate the table by 20:00 which wasn't a problem for us. The meal itself was absolutely fabulous - being a vegetarian I am used to veggie meals being an "afterthought" but this wasn't and even my meat-eating husband was impressed!

After dinner we retired to the executive lounge which was nice but it seemed to stop serving alcohol awfully early compared to other Marriot hotels such as the Heathrow Renaissance. On return to the room for a final night's sleep we found a red stocking on the bed filled with hotel goodies which was an unexpected but delightful touch and put huge smiles on our faces! :-)

Check-out was easy the following day and we were able to get away easily as we'd been able to keep our car directly outside the hotel as the valet service started at 7am but we'd needed our car an hour before that on both days.

All in all a great stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. There are facilities there such as a pool and sauna but unfortunately we didn't have time to try them out but will make it a priority next time!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Had booked a suite. When I arrived (well past check in) it was not ready but I was offered a downgraded room. I declined. Jet lagged, I waited for some hours past check in and finally the room was made available. Everything else was decidedly average but the attitude of the staff was what one would expect at a poorly run 2 star property. Great location, yes but I will never consider staying here again. If you require excellent service, check that, acceptable service, London has many vastly superior options.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank Drewmc50
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Fantastic location right at the base of the London Eye. The history of the building is amazing, and the architecture is stunning. Rooms of fairly large by UK standards and walls of stone make it feel like you're staying in a castle.

Main driveway and entrance has been used in various films, you'll recognize it, easy drop off and pick up for taxis although a bit tight for limo buses or shuttles.

Checkin desk is surpriseingly small, but very effecient.

Restaurant and onsite bar offer tons of selection. Room service is exceptional and I typically don't order room service, but was glad I did one night. Speedy and well presented and very hot.

I've stayed here a few times, and should mention that one of the times I had to share the room with a very large mouse/rat. He barely fit under the door, but would come and go all night, and he seemed to think that there was food in my garbage, but there wasn't. I think he had my room confused with another one. Due to the age and location of this hotel, I wasn't surprised to see a mouse/rat being right on the banks of the Thames and in an extremely old area. Hotel staff were nice enough to give me a roll pillow to place at the buttom of the door.

This hotel is very appropriate for solo or business travel with easy access to Underground and sightseeing. This hotel is also very approrpriate for family vacation as well.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DowntownCanada
Reviewed 28 December 2011

This was the second time we have stayed here just before Xmas and ideal for 2 adults and 2 children with their large 2 double beds. Our view was straight over the Thames and the Houses of Parliament. Check in was a breeze and I love the way the Hotel has its own street leading to reception. Our luggage was delivered swiftly to our room. The staff attended our every need and at breakfast bent over backwards to satisfy our kids with pancakes, soft boiled eggs and hot chocolate. At about 5pm every night in the lobby they served mulled wine, mince pies and Stollen to drink and eat there or take away. Nice touch. What I particularly like about this Hotel is that they make you feel special, nothing is to much trouble. The location is fabulous, surrounded by history and for those that like a walk, head off down the Thames path and you have the Tate Modern and the Globe theatre.

Room Tip: High floor for the views and make sure you close the curtains properly as County Hall is lit up all...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family