“An amazing hotel”

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Ranked #157 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I think I should point out at the start that we are platinum elite members of Marriott and this may have a bearing on our experience.

Went to check in early, the room wasnt ready. Left our bags and the hotel phoned when the room was ready. when we got back the queue was long, but the lady who we first saw came straight to get us so we didnt wait.

We had a balcony room over looking the Thames which was fantastic. The room was pretty big, with 2 double beds and a lounge area. Only down side to me was I felt the bathroom needed updating.

The room and Hotel is in keeping with the buildings history which I thought was fantastic. the staff was so helpful and quick, the room was cleaned in the morning and given a quick tidy when they came to turn the beds down. This evening tidy was great when you'd rushed in from a day out to then head off back out.

all in all a fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,656)

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Having stayed at the Marriott County Hall on several occasions and being very happy with my stay I was surprised that standards have slipped so much. Staff are no longer friendly and "on the ball". I couldn't relax in my room as I was repeatedly interrupted by staff checking the room. On the day of check out (12:00) I was interrupted twice by staff checking the room. I put the security chain on the door but this didn't stop the staff from trying to enter the room. I mentioned several issues to the reception staff, sticky, urine smelling bathroom floor, being asked for money for retrieval of lost property (I hadn't lost any property), poor, indifferent service in the bar, very slow checkout caused by only one member of staff being available to serve many customers. When an extra member of staff did appear to help with checkout and I mentioned the long delay she commented that she was busy on the phone. The concierge put my luggage in a taxi while I waited in the queue at reception. By the time I got to the taxi there was already £5.80 on the clock. I didn't ask for my luggage to be put into a taxi. However the luggage would be safer in the taxi than in the hotels luggage room. I arrived back at the hotel on one occasion to find that the only member of staff was busy outside the hotel and the luggage room door was wide open. Had I wished I could have walked off with a couple of suitcases straight out of the back of the hotel. And so the saga continued to the bitter end.
The Marriott County Hall cannot hope to trade just on it's location. It needs more professional staff and certainly more staff on reception who deal with issues at the first telling. I haven't had a single issue addressed by the hotel to date.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Avogil
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in studio suite with a balcony overlooking the Thames and Westminster. The building and its site are impressive. The room was large, comfortable, well-fitted with a large bathroom which had exceptionally good plumbing. Effective double glazing muted Big Ben. The gym and swimming pool are unusually large and well-fitted. The steaks and service in Gillray’s restaurant were also worth the visit. The staff were polite, friendly and made a point of smiling and greeting us.
However, we normally stay at the Park Lane Hilton but decided to try the Marriott and to use up some of our Marriott points. I’m not sure we would return as, although the prices of the two hotels (room for room) are about the same, when it comes to what you get for your money,this hotel suffers in the comparison. There were other problems:
We spent a long time at Reception, not just because there was a mix-up in our booking between Central Reservations and the hotel but also because the server speed and staffing limitations meant that we always had to queue: 10mintes is not acceptable for a hotel with this rating, the more so as we had to make daily visits as our reservation problems were only resolved on the day of our departure.
Room service – the dishes (£15 for a spaghetti bolognaise, £7 for a French Onion soup) were unpalatable and cold.
People who have difficulty with walking need to know that the nature of the building means that bedrooms can be a substantial distances from the lifts and that you need to be able to cope with steps to get onto your balcony.
History also means that there are only three lifts (one of which out of action for our entire 3-day stay) which are not coordinated - press a button and both lifts arrive at the same time with the automated announcements in chorus: the system works because there are only six floors and (usually) a third lift. During our visit, it meant more waiting.
The Executive Lounge is a pleasant place to have a continental breakfast. For those spoiled by the Hilton, the effect is of careful stinting: this may explain why it was so empty whenever I visited.
Overall, we thought it a great building for the fit (and with outstanding fitness facilities) but let down by its management.

Room Tip: The Thames view is wonderful. However, be careful if you have mobility problems as it will be a long...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Lovely hotel just steps off the Westminster Bridge; a perfect location for a quick walk over the bridge to the underground. The view from the southern side of the river is breathtaking with Big Ben and Parliament in full view and the London Eye practically in our room. The rooms were decorated in a traditional way with a large vanity in the bathroom to accommodate both my and my sister's toiletries. The hotel bar and lounge adjacent to the restaurant also had wonderful views and was a nice spot for cocktails or tea. In- room coffee and tea along with daily shortbread cookies made it so easy to make our own continental breakfast which saved us plenty of GPS for elaborate dinners. One caveat is that the room minibar and fridge is not usable for your own purposes. We kept any perishables on ice from the easy to reach ice machines. Room service was very accommodating to our late morning sleep ins and turn down service at night always left chocolates.
I've been to London so many times that we opted to do some out-of the-way things: Portobello Road market on a Saturday is crowded but filled with all kinds of things you might like to take home and has a pub on almost every corner; Camden Lock Market in Camdentown on Sunday is a hoot - filled with acres of geegaws and lots of tattoo and body piercing places - a naturally younger crowd but still lots of fun; don't miss having a drink or lunch at Shaka Zulu - a south African restaurant that has THE most extraordinary decor. We also tried liquid nitrogen ice cream at the marketplace.

Room Tip: our room at 525 had a partially blocked view of the river because of a tall wall - needed to stand o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I had reviewed all of the Marriot Hotels in London, prior to our travel in October. The County Hall Marriott consistantly excelled in its reviews from fellow travelers. It is conveniently located to two tube stops (westminster and waterloo) two water taxis stops, and one major train line ( waterloo).
I have stayed at Marriott properties through out the world, and I rate this Marriott at the top of the list. Besides a great location for traveling around London, the staff is very professional and customer centric.I e-mailed the hotel twice with special requests, prior to our arrival, both were answered with 6 hrs.We arrived at the hotel 7 hrs before the official check in, while the room wasn't ready upon our arrival, the staff asked for my mobile number so they could call me when it was ready.
I received a call within two hours, informing me my room was ready. I was suprised to find we had been upgraded to a suite overlooking the Thames, with views of Big Ben, and Parliament. Additionally, when we made any special request, the hotel staff was very responsive. We spent 8 nights at this hotel... I am not one to write reviews (good or bad), but in this case they deserve it.
If I could rate this Marriott a "10" it would deserve it.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Thames are a huge bonus... try to stay away from rooms near the London Eye. An...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jim H
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This hotel is set in a perfect location for business and tourism in central London. It is costly, but worth it for the comfort and location. However, as a more suitable option for tourists, I would recommend the Grosvenor Square Marriott over this one unless you manage to get a corporate or website deal.

The rooms are very spacious for London and despite having my window open during the night, I slept well with minimum disturbance. The only downside is that some of the rooms are a long walk from the lift as the hotel is located within a large historic building.

There are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby and all the usual tourist locations are a short walk.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I stayed here one night for business and was really wowed by the room which had the most amazing view down the embankment, over the river towards Big Ben. The room itself was large and comfortable, with a 6 foot bed, mini bar, tea and coffee making facilities, bathrobes (a bit shabby) and a powerful shower.

The room would have got 5 stars from me, but the food was disappointing. We had dinner in the seminar room we had used during the day and we must have been a long way from the kitchen as everything was lukewarm. The three staff were solicitous, but hilariously did the 'putting the plates down simultaneously' thing, which would have been fine except there were 15 of us, so they put 3 plates down, then there was a long gap, then another 3 etc. By the time we were all served the first had quite cold food. I was the last to be served but my food was still not hot. Several of us had cheese and biscuits for dessert with only a spoon and fork to eat it. I asked for a knife - another long wait and a single knife was brought on a platter for me - no thought for the others eating cheese with a spoon.

Breakfast was similarly disappointing. It was very expensive, yet a colleague who only wanted fruit and porridge was charged extra for the porridge. The cooked breakfast was cooked to order, so I expected it to be good, but in fact it was quite cold too.

However despite this I'd stay here again like a shot as I loved the location, room and view.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business