“Useful for O2 events”

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Ranked #153 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My wife and I recently booked to see the Cirque du Sleil perfom Jackson at the O2 and looked for an easy way to get there and back. We discovered that when there are events at the O2, there is a high speed ferry service from the London Eye Pier to the O2 site, returning shortly after the end of the show.
As this was directly outside the County Hall Marriott we booked at the hotel and were not disappointed, we stayed here once before for the London Marathon.
We were given a room overlooking the river, the room was immaculate in all respects and the bathroom very clean and tidy. We used up the rooms tea coffee and biscuit fac ilities very quickly and asked for more. no grumbling, no problems, sorted in less than 5 minutes. A very tasty light meal in the room was also served up quickly and to our satisfaction.
The bed was superb and next mornings breakfast was what you would expect for a hotel of this calibre, nothing being too much trouble.
All in all, a superb hotel, with good staff and facilities which combined with the outing to the O2 made our weekend.
Being a frequent visitor to the Marriott hotels ( my wife like them), I have come to the conclusion that this is probably the best Marriott in the UK

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I booked four nights for a very special occasion but checked out after two truly disappointing days. For over U.S.$650 a night, there was NOTHING to justify the cost other than the view. Service was not friendly or prompt. Our room had a flickering bathroom light that was never replaced but did finally burn out (but not replaced). The duvet cover, large pillowcase-style with no closures, was placed with the opening at the head of the bed so your hands and arms became entangled inside the opening and the "used by hundreds" duvet was exposed to your hands and face. Another small but telling detail -- there was only one small bar of soap provided. Use it at the sink, move it to the tub, move it back to the sink. Really? For $650+ they could not give you two little bars of soap? When I inquired, I was told this was the hotel's policy. There were also two false-alarm fire alarms -- one at midnight and another the next morning before seven. Guests might have expected a small concession, perhaps a free breakfast, but nothing was offered. Never, ever again!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Vmalsz
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Traveling with children on their first long journey, I chose Marriott for its spacious rooms and central location. What stood out for me even more than our lovely view of Big Ben was Marriott's excellent staff. The concierge expertly took care of every request, while the doormen, Danny and Martin, gave such warm and personal attention to the children. The large rooms were as expected: good bedding, standard accoutrements. Afternoon tea was delightful, served by Alexandra who was so friendly and patient with the children. That I can remember their names weeks later speaks volumes about them. I would happily have given this hotel 5 stars save for the fact one day we dealt with three, yes three, alarms. The one in the evening was the most difficult. Kids do not want to walk down six flights of stairs in their pajamas among strangers ... Nor do I. The remaining five days were blessedly silent and hopefully the norm. Aside from the siren, a beautiful stay.

Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Corot O
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I think I should point out at the start that we are platinum elite members of Marriott and this may have a bearing on our experience.

Went to check in early, the room wasnt ready. Left our bags and the hotel phoned when the room was ready. when we got back the queue was long, but the lady who we first saw came straight to get us so we didnt wait.

We had a balcony room over looking the Thames which was fantastic. The room was pretty big, with 2 double beds and a lounge area. Only down side to me was I felt the bathroom needed updating.

The room and Hotel is in keeping with the buildings history which I thought was fantastic. the staff was so helpful and quick, the room was cleaned in the morning and given a quick tidy when they came to turn the beds down. This evening tidy was great when you'd rushed in from a day out to then head off back out.

all in all a fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Having stayed at the Marriott County Hall on several occasions and being very happy with my stay I was surprised that standards have slipped so much. Staff are no longer friendly and "on the ball". I couldn't relax in my room as I was repeatedly interrupted by staff checking the room. On the day of check out (12:00) I was interrupted twice by staff checking the room. I put the security chain on the door but this didn't stop the staff from trying to enter the room. I mentioned several issues to the reception staff, sticky, urine smelling bathroom floor, being asked for money for retrieval of lost property (I hadn't lost any property), poor, indifferent service in the bar, very slow checkout caused by only one member of staff being available to serve many customers. When an extra member of staff did appear to help with checkout and I mentioned the long delay she commented that she was busy on the phone. The concierge put my luggage in a taxi while I waited in the queue at reception. By the time I got to the taxi there was already £5.80 on the clock. I didn't ask for my luggage to be put into a taxi. However the luggage would be safer in the taxi than in the hotels luggage room. I arrived back at the hotel on one occasion to find that the only member of staff was busy outside the hotel and the luggage room door was wide open. Had I wished I could have walked off with a couple of suitcases straight out of the back of the hotel. And so the saga continued to the bitter end.
The Marriott County Hall cannot hope to trade just on it's location. It needs more professional staff and certainly more staff on reception who deal with issues at the first telling. I haven't had a single issue addressed by the hotel to date.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Avogil
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in studio suite with a balcony overlooking the Thames and Westminster. The building and its site are impressive. The room was large, comfortable, well-fitted with a large bathroom which had exceptionally good plumbing. Effective double glazing muted Big Ben. The gym and swimming pool are unusually large and well-fitted. The steaks and service in Gillray’s restaurant were also worth the visit. The staff were polite, friendly and made a point of smiling and greeting us.
However, we normally stay at the Park Lane Hilton but decided to try the Marriott and to use up some of our Marriott points. I’m not sure we would return as, although the prices of the two hotels (room for room) are about the same, when it comes to what you get for your money,this hotel suffers in the comparison. There were other problems:
We spent a long time at Reception, not just because there was a mix-up in our booking between Central Reservations and the hotel but also because the server speed and staffing limitations meant that we always had to queue: 10mintes is not acceptable for a hotel with this rating, the more so as we had to make daily visits as our reservation problems were only resolved on the day of our departure.
Room service – the dishes (£15 for a spaghetti bolognaise, £7 for a French Onion soup) were unpalatable and cold.
People who have difficulty with walking need to know that the nature of the building means that bedrooms can be a substantial distances from the lifts and that you need to be able to cope with steps to get onto your balcony.
History also means that there are only three lifts (one of which out of action for our entire 3-day stay) which are not coordinated - press a button and both lifts arrive at the same time with the automated announcements in chorus: the system works because there are only six floors and (usually) a third lift. During our visit, it meant more waiting.
The Executive Lounge is a pleasant place to have a continental breakfast. For those spoiled by the Hilton, the effect is of careful stinting: this may explain why it was so empty whenever I visited.
Overall, we thought it a great building for the fit (and with outstanding fitness facilities) but let down by its management.

Room Tip: The Thames view is wonderful. However, be careful if you have mobility problems as it will be a long...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Lovely hotel just steps off the Westminster Bridge; a perfect location for a quick walk over the bridge to the underground. The view from the southern side of the river is breathtaking with Big Ben and Parliament in full view and the London Eye practically in our room. The rooms were decorated in a traditional way with a large vanity in the bathroom to accommodate both my and my sister's toiletries. The hotel bar and lounge adjacent to the restaurant also had wonderful views and was a nice spot for cocktails or tea. In- room coffee and tea along with daily shortbread cookies made it so easy to make our own continental breakfast which saved us plenty of GPS for elaborate dinners. One caveat is that the room minibar and fridge is not usable for your own purposes. We kept any perishables on ice from the easy to reach ice machines. Room service was very accommodating to our late morning sleep ins and turn down service at night always left chocolates.
I've been to London so many times that we opted to do some out-of the-way things: Portobello Road market on a Saturday is crowded but filled with all kinds of things you might like to take home and has a pub on almost every corner; Camden Lock Market in Camdentown on Sunday is a hoot - filled with acres of geegaws and lots of tattoo and body piercing places - a naturally younger crowd but still lots of fun; don't miss having a drink or lunch at Shaka Zulu - a south African restaurant that has THE most extraordinary decor. We also tried liquid nitrogen ice cream at the marketplace.

Room Tip: our room at 525 had a partially blocked view of the river because of a tall wall - needed to stand o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends