“Afternoon tea”

Ranked #189 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

We had afternoon tea at the hotel on October 27th.
I had booked online and received confirmation that all was ok and booked accordingly. However upon arrival there was no booking but they swiftly dealt with the situation and seated us without any fuss.
We were meant to have the tea in the library but for some reason we didn't.
The tea choice was vast really but opted for traditional afternoon tea. You get a pot each which they top up with hot water.
The food menu was lovely, sandwiches, sweet and savoury scones and to finish some amazing cakes. To say we were full would be an understatement ! I would recommend you wear something roomy and not rush off after just take your time to savour.
Had a brief look round the hotel whilst there and it seemed lovely.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 30 October 2012

In general, I have had 3 star experiences with Marriott Hotels so my expectations are relatively tame. My previous company and current company both use Marriott pretty regularly. This Marriott is probably one of the nicest in which I have stayed. The rooms are spacious, the bed was quite comfortable, the staff is extremely professional and the interior of the hotel is well maintained and English through and through. The bar and restaurant are also nice. Now, the location is not the best and you're certainly not centrally located. However, it's a very nice Marriott property and I would be happy to stay there again for a conference.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelBlessingsToU
Watford
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My wife and I recently booked to see the Cirque du Sleil perfom Jackson at the O2 and looked for an easy way to get there and back. We discovered that when there are events at the O2, there is a high speed ferry service from the London Eye Pier to the O2 site, returning shortly after the end of the show.
As this was directly outside the County Hall Marriott we booked at the hotel and were not disappointed, we stayed here once before for the London Marathon.
We were given a room overlooking the river, the room was immaculate in all respects and the bathroom very clean and tidy. We used up the rooms tea coffee and biscuit fac ilities very quickly and asked for more. no grumbling, no problems, sorted in less than 5 minutes. A very tasty light meal in the room was also served up quickly and to our satisfaction.
The bed was superb and next mornings breakfast was what you would expect for a hotel of this calibre, nothing being too much trouble.
All in all, a superb hotel, with good staff and facilities which combined with the outing to the O2 made our weekend.
Being a frequent visitor to the Marriott hotels ( my wife like them), I have come to the conclusion that this is probably the best Marriott in the UK

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I booked four nights for a very special occasion but checked out after two truly disappointing days. For over U.S.$650 a night, there was NOTHING to justify the cost other than the view. Service was not friendly or prompt. Our room had a flickering bathroom light that was never replaced but did finally burn out (but not replaced). The duvet cover, large pillowcase-style with no closures, was placed with the opening at the head of the bed so your hands and arms became entangled inside the opening and the "used by hundreds" duvet was exposed to your hands and face. Another small but telling detail -- there was only one small bar of soap provided. Use it at the sink, move it to the tub, move it back to the sink. Really? For $650+ they could not give you two little bars of soap? When I inquired, I was told this was the hotel's policy. There were also two false-alarm fire alarms -- one at midnight and another the next morning before seven. Guests might have expected a small concession, perhaps a free breakfast, but nothing was offered. Never, ever again!

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vmalsz
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

Traveling with children on their first long journey, I chose Marriott for its spacious rooms and central location. What stood out for me even more than our lovely view of Big Ben was Marriott's excellent staff. The concierge expertly took care of every request, while the doormen, Danny and Martin, gave such warm and personal attention to the children. The large rooms were as expected: good bedding, standard accoutrements. Afternoon tea was delightful, served by Alexandra who was so friendly and patient with the children. That I can remember their names weeks later speaks volumes about them. I would happily have given this hotel 5 stars save for the fact one day we dealt with three, yes three, alarms. The one in the evening was the most difficult. Kids do not want to walk down six flights of stairs in their pajamas among strangers ... Nor do I. The remaining five days were blessedly silent and hopefully the norm. Aside from the siren, a beautiful stay.

Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Corot O
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I think I should point out at the start that we are platinum elite members of Marriott and this may have a bearing on our experience.

Went to check in early, the room wasnt ready. Left our bags and the hotel phoned when the room was ready. when we got back the queue was long, but the lady who we first saw came straight to get us so we didnt wait.

We had a balcony room over looking the Thames which was fantastic. The room was pretty big, with 2 double beds and a lounge area. Only down side to me was I felt the bathroom needed updating.

The room and Hotel is in keeping with the buildings history which I thought was fantastic. the staff was so helpful and quick, the room was cleaned in the morning and given a quick tidy when they came to turn the beds down. This evening tidy was great when you'd rushed in from a day out to then head off back out.

all in all a fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Having stayed at the Marriott County Hall on several occasions and being very happy with my stay I was surprised that standards have slipped so much. Staff are no longer friendly and "on the ball". I couldn't relax in my room as I was repeatedly interrupted by staff checking the room. On the day of check out (12:00) I was interrupted twice by staff checking the room. I put the security chain on the door but this didn't stop the staff from trying to enter the room. I mentioned several issues to the reception staff, sticky, urine smelling bathroom floor, being asked for money for retrieval of lost property (I hadn't lost any property), poor, indifferent service in the bar, very slow checkout caused by only one member of staff being available to serve many customers. When an extra member of staff did appear to help with checkout and I mentioned the long delay she commented that she was busy on the phone. The concierge put my luggage in a taxi while I waited in the queue at reception. By the time I got to the taxi there was already £5.80 on the clock. I didn't ask for my luggage to be put into a taxi. However the luggage would be safer in the taxi than in the hotels luggage room. I arrived back at the hotel on one occasion to find that the only member of staff was busy outside the hotel and the luggage room door was wide open. Had I wished I could have walked off with a couple of suitcases straight out of the back of the hotel. And so the saga continued to the bitter end.
The Marriott County Hall cannot hope to trade just on it's location. It needs more professional staff and certainly more staff on reception who deal with issues at the first telling. I haven't had a single issue addressed by the hotel to date.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business