“Fantastic location and friendly efficient hotel”

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Ranked #155 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 December 2012

London hotels can be a problem, often impersonal, crowded and a bit of a stress. The Marriott was friendly efficient and with a stunning Location next to the London eye and Westminster Bridge. Based in the old County Hall this listed building is stunning with a great history. The former home of the GLC it has kept a lot of the original features. The rooms are pleasant but if you can grab a river facing room for a stunning view of Parliament and the Thames.
Staff were incredibly helpful. A joy to stay with.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Jon b
There are newer reviews for London Marriott Hotel County Hall

Reviewed 3 December 2012

We stayed for one night on a Saturday. Small but nice lobby and attentive staff. Room was a good size for London with a view over the London Eye and the Thames (albeit the high windows make it difficult to look down). Room was a long walk from the lobby but corridors in good shape. We ate both dinner and breakfast; nice but nothing special. Good location for the eye and Westminster and nice and quiet at night. We'd stay again.

Room Tip: Go for north overlooking the river and ask for one not on the North East corner as it's quite a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Damian A
Reviewed 30 November 2012

We are frequent visitors to London and have stayed in many hotels in different locations, but this was only our second time on the South Bank (the other being several years ago at the Tower Bridge Hilton, which was far superior to this hotel). We did not find this location to be a convenient one for us as almost all the activities we were interested in were on the "other" bank. In addition, we were disappointed with this property. It did not seem to be run as a luxury hotel and we found it to be inconvenient in several respects. Although we were upgraded to a "river view" room and did have a clear view of the Eye and Big Ben, the walk from the elevator to our room seemed equivalent to a half-mile stroll along the river (or perhaps two revolutions of the Eye). Although we like to walk when we are outside, we quickly grew tired of this journey. The room itself was on the small side (as was the bathroom) and we were surprised to find that only one tiny bar of soap was dispensed by the housekeeper for the room, which necessitated moving it from sink to bath each time we used it. We received executive lounge privileges, but this was a poor excuse for a concierge lounge. There was no concierge present in the lounge (only housekeeping staff) and the breakfast provisions were skimpy at best. The room was not attractive and had no windows. There were two computer terminals at the entrance (only one of which worked) and their location was such that guests entering the lounge could (and did) easily mistake you for a hotel employee when you were at the keyboard. One of the main reasons we selected this hotel was because of the pool, which looked quite attractive on the website. We used it only once, however--once was enough--as half the pool was consumed with a water aerobics class (for one or two persons) with accompanying loud and disturbing rock-type music. The one lane that was available for lap swimming was narrow and shared by multiple swimmers. It was the antithesis of relaxing. By way of comparison, the Park Lane Marriott has a beautiful, serene pool. We also quickly grew tired of the walk to Waterloo Station, which took approximately 10 minutes (longer if you did not discover an unauthorized shortcut through the office portion of the County Hall complex). All in all, we would not choose to stay in this hotel again. There are many superior alternatives available.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DCRE
Reviewed 29 November 2012

As other posters have said, you cannot beat the location. When my husband and I landed in Heathrow, it was about as easy as it gets to get to the hotel, drop our bags, and walk across the river to Westminster Abbey. It also has easy access to Waterloo station and Westminster on the Tube. We could not have been happier with the great location. To that end, the views of the Thames and London Eye from our window were lovely.

The hotel itself on the other hand was a disappointment given the price. The front desk was less than pleasant, concierge was not particularly helpful (yes I did a tremendous amount of research beforehand), and the hotel itself was somewhat drab. We stayed at the Renaissance St. Pancras at the end of our trip which FAR exceeded our experience here. If you are only looking for location and do not care as much about look, service, ect., stay here. If you are interested in the whole package, stay at St. Pancras.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lawgurl
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Review From 11/25 - 11/27 - 80000 Marriott Reward Points for two nights.

I arrived to the hotel at about 6:30AM - I opted to have the concierge arrange transportation on my behalf. I paid 75GBP for one way transportation from London Heathrow- Shame on me on not researching on my own as I overpaid by about $50US. When I arrived to the hotel there was no bellman or anyone to assist with my bags up the 10-12 stairs in the front of the hotel. I proceeded to the front desk, nobody was standing at the front desk - I said hello and a gentlemen from the back office came to assist me. I was thrilled to be able to check-in as I arrived at the hotel. One of the Managers checked me in - a gentlemen from Spain. He acknowledged my gold status, advised how I go about getting the internet and provided me with a key for the executive lounge (an amenity for Marriott Gold, Platinum and guests choosing to pay up for lounge access) He apologized that the only room he had available was a room with a handicap bathroom and no rooms with views were available - I offered to pay as well, but he said unfortunately no other rooms were available - I said no problem as I was happy I was able to check in at that time. I made my way up to room 330. I knew my room was going to have a lousy view when I had to make a little turn off the hallway to get to my room - the room was opposite to "Service" room. When I attempted to enter my room the key didn't work - I tried the other one, still didn't work. I lugged my suitcase down the long hallway and returned to the front desk, the gentlemen who checked me in was not there, instead it was a woman who said the keys should work and to try again --- Didn't even make new keys. She said she doesn't know why the keys aren't working. She said if they don't work use the phone in the hallway to call us instead of coming back down - Went back to the room, keys didn't work. I found the phone at the very end of the hallway - across from the furthest room from the elevator. Why wouldn't the phone be in a better position? Like, by the elevator perhaps??!! I pressed 0 and the woman who I just spoke with at the front desk answered - I advised her that my keys don't work, I was upset it was taking this long to get into my room, I am no better off then I was 10 minutes ago when I last spoke to you at the front desk - between the trip back to the front desk and the trek to find the phone it took me 10 minutes and still not in my room, then she asks "are you in your room now." I said did you understand anything I said" - she said I don't think so - You know that whole English thing in England is tricky. Why in the world would a front desk representative at 4-5 star hotel not fully understand English? We are in England???????? Infuriating. She then connected me with someone else, the women I spoke with advised me someone from concierge will be up with new keys. 5 minutes later a gentlemen named Simon came up and helped me out - Simon was actually quite helpful. His key also didn't work! He tried it a few times and it didn't work, finally he was able to get the door open. We got inside the room and he called down to the front desk manager - advised her the lock was dead and I wished to change rooms as I didn't want to incur any further problems with gaining access to my room during my stay. I was concerned because the the manager who checked in me said this was the only room available - it had to be one of the worst rooms at the hotel given the view. We were in the room for about two minutes while he called the front desk - I took a look at the view - terrible - an interior view, looking at other rooms, maintenance area, etc. The front desk manager told the gentlemen Simon to move me to room 324. We got to the room just a few doors down, but on opposite sides of the hall and wouldn't you believe it a room with a great view just to the left of the London Eye! I suppose it was a good thing that the lock was dead as I was able to be moved to a room with an excellent view - However, I was very disappointed that this room was available when I checked in. I was either flat out lied to to or the manager who checked me in was incompetent. After about 20-25 minutes I was settled into my room.

The room was descent size, great view of London Eye, Parliament building, Westminster Bridge, the water, etc. The bathroom was a nice size.

Only Food and Beverage I had at the hotel was room service for dinner twice. First night I had a burger and it was good. Second night I ordered late and had a Caesar Salad and a side of Garlic Bread - they forgot to bring the Garlic Bread but charged me for it anyway. I ordered at about 11:30PM so the menu was limited which was fine. When I noticed there was no garlic bread I asked the gentlemen who delivered about it, he too couldn't understand English, like at all. I just don't understand how I can be in London and the front of the house staff doesn't understand what I am saying.

I had breakfast one morning in the executive lounge and it was nice. A small breakfast setup with crossiants, scrambled eggs, sausage, juices, fruit, etc. Also used the gym and indoor pool which was quite nice.

The hotel is an awesome location. The building is very old but kept up very well, actually really loved the hotel itself. The front drive is very cool.

At check-out when I asked for the internet to be removed (Gold Status) the Front Desk Manager advised I was only a Silver guest - I said no, I am gold. I showed her the Exec. Lounge key I was given (gold, platinum only) as the gentlemen who checked me in confirmed my status. He said simply charge the internet to the room, and we will remove the charge when you are checking out. She eventually removed the internet charges. When I explained the issues I had with check-in she simply offered excuses -"Perhaps that room was being cleaned when you checked in and opened up after you had the issues" -- Seriously?? Between the time I checked in at 6:30AM and the time I was moved to the new room at 6:50AM Right... There was nobody cleaning the room at 6:30 in the morning, I would of noticed considering it was just a couple doors down from my original room and I walked past it to find the phone at the end of the hallway. Maids don't begin cleaning at 6:30AM... Why couldn't she of just said "You're right, the manager made a mistake at check in and it and I apologize for the awful check in experience" Moreover, as I was explaining what happened I was interrupted by her twice- I had to ask "Are you going to let me finish" At the end of the conversation she agreed that the check-in process was terrible, with multiple, avoidable service errors.

Great location. Nice Rooms. Great Gym. Descent Executive Lounge.

As a result of the issues incurred and the way in which they were handled I will not be returning to the Marriott London County Hall in the future. The whole check-in process, the way it was handled by the manager at check out, the lack of English speaking staff left me very upset. Guests are paying $500 plus or 40000 Marriott Reward Points to say here - The service simply doesn't warrant these type of rates. It's unfortunate I wasted 80000 points on this stay.

Room Tip: Imperative to have a room with a view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Socalac83
Reviewed 28 November 2012

The Marriott County hall is a great hotel, with an excellent location, next to the London Eye and at the Thames near the Big Ben. The hotel is in the old County hall and therefore the rooms are also fairly old. Some furniture is new (like the bed and the flat screen TV), but the bath with the old bath sink is not really something everybody loves. But even if this is not outstanding, the rest incl. the very friendly and helpful hotel staff, the hotel location, etc. makes this hotel a really great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Central London can be a noisy place however the Thames and the entrance courtyard offer an effective buffer to traffic sounds.Then, the rooms have an additional sliding window fitted over the original that creates another layer of insulation from cold and sound. Brilliant!

This hotel is beautiful; A stunning Edwardian Baroque style building that was once the seat of government for the London County Council. Take time to explore the detail both inside and out! The library is particularly impressive.

The attention to detail in the guest rooms and common areas is notable - On the practical side, our room even had a US 110 volt plug-in by the desk.

Executive lounge: The food service was very good; the hours of service quite generous and even during the 'closed' hours still accessible for self-service coffee and beverages in the fridges. The breakfast offered was very complete with eggs and bacon in addition to the usual cereal, yogurt, fruit and cheeses. The wine and hor d'oeuvres in the evening are excellent.

Then, there is the view. I highly recommend splashing out and getting a room with a view of big Ben or at least a river view. You will not be disappointed. How delightful to hear the chimes of Big Ben (with the clang softened to velvety tones by the insulating windows) as you drift off to sleep....

London is most certainly a city to do some walking in and this hotel is the perfect launching point. All the great places to see are within a 45 minute walk; but take your time and explore the details along the way. If you are not up for the walk, the Underground is nearby or take a cab. London cabbies are the best in the world. Period.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and go for the river view or Big Ben view-- after all this is London.....
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family