“Wow!, Wow! & Wow again!- Impressive in every way !”

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Ranked #175 of 1,068 Hotels in London
South West England, United Kingdom
“Wow!, Wow! & Wow again!- Impressive in every way !”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Booked 1 night (Sunday) for our
43rd Wedding Anniversary. A "Steak-ation deal @ £199.00 (GBP) which included Room with River Thames view, King size bed, Breakfast & 3 Course Dinner for 2.
On arrival, we were warmly welcomed by Reception staff, & discovered, to our great delight, that we'd been given a brilliant upgrade to a "Big Ben" & river view suite. Room 344. Wow! It was divine! So spacious & spotlessly clean . A 7ft. four- poster bed, lounge area, great luxury bathroom with 2 washbasins, deep bath, & separate large shower. Lots of towels, face flannels, & bath accessories.
Also, a complimentary bottle of champagne (on ice), & a glass plate of delicate Petits Fours & "Happy Anniversary" written on it, plus a lovely "Welcome back, & Congratulations" card
from the Senior Guest Relations Manager, Teddi Jackson.
Had a delicious 3 course Sunday Lunch (instead of Dinner) in "Gillray's", the main restaurant. Starters - Smoked Salmon & cream of Pumpkin Soup. Delicious! Mains - traditional Sunday roast; huge portions of Aberdeen Angus Rib of Beef, which were cooked to perfection, exactly as ordered, with a great selection of veggies - carrots, creamed spinach, cauliflower Mornay, roast potatoes & a very large Yorkshire pudding, plus lashings of gravy. Wonderful value for money for the Main course - £17.95 - which is outstanding, taking into account the standard of hotel in London, amount of food, the beautiful surroundings & great river views - we had a window table - & the absolutely superb service we were given by Bruno, Sunita, et al, in the restaurant, & Janine in the Bar Lounge, prior to our meal. Sweets - we had the Sherry Trifle, which came in individual large jars, layered with fruit, cream, custard, sponge, & a separate glass of sherry, to be poured in - a little bit of "theatre" there ! A very nice touch. We had a bottle of Italian Pinot Grigio Rosé @ £29 (approx) which was lovely.
We actually took our sweets up to our room to eat later, as we were replete, after the starters & mains. No room for puddings then. Breakfasts were equally good & equally enjoyable, with lots of variety - continental or cooked - &, again, the staff were absolutely marvellous, cheerful, friendly, & helpful. Lisa, Natalie, etc. Our only comment regarding the restaurant is that the lovely hot plates on which our food was served, very soon became cold, as the tables had a metallic coating which chilled everything quickly. Putting table mats on them would prevent this. We were afforded the luxury of a second night at the same inclusive price, for which we were very grateful. Dinner on the 2nd night was equally as delicious - 'though we only had a main course this time. Small rib of beef on the bone, pan fried Sea Bream, both with creamed potatoes, creamed spinach & cauliflower Mornay . The fish was cooked to perfection. The Beef lacked a little in flavour, surprisingly.
Only 2 very minor glitches whilst there - the safe jammed, & was fixed within 15 minutes, & the mini bar fridge was not cooling properly, so again, a swift replacement fridge was put in our room for our use. Very efficient service!
In summary, we had the most wonderful possible 2 day celebration of our anniversary, made so special by the superb service, friendliness, cheerfulness & efficiency of each & every member of the hotel staff with whom we came into contact. We were treated
like "royalty". We would like to thank everyone at this beautiful hotel for their kindness & friendly care. We will always return here whenever we come to London. Can't be beaten !

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank VETTRIANISTA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice and always enjoyed it. It is across the river from Big Ben and sits right next to the river. Rooms are large, clean and well appointed. I haven't had many rooms in London that are as nice. Staff is very helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2014

"County Hall was a great experience for us when we visited a couple of years agoOur room overlooked the Houses of Parliament to one side and the London Eye to the other. The room was larger than average and easily accomodated my husband, 2 kids and I. The location was just great for sightseeing and it was such a great view! Also, walking around the hotel was fascinating. It was previously the headquarters for Greater London Council so has a full history. There are cheaper places to stay but we really enjoyed our stay here. Only complaint was a long check-out."

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank McMillanFamilynyc
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stay at marriott in the US for work every week. This Review is for a personal trip from 2 years back when I was a platinum member (now only gold :( haha). I booked 2 rooms for a special trip,with my mum and sister. (I was visiting from the US). First, the power went out in my mums room at 5pm and they finally agreed to move her at 130am! In the dark, she lost her hearing aid and we had to find it the next day. Next, the shower head in my room was broken, so I spent 3 days bending over the bath to wash my hair. I called 3 times and the engineer couldn't fix it. Then I had to beg for access to the lounge and remind the front desk person I was a platinum member. Maybe she treated me differently as I wasn't in work attire hmmmmm. Finally she said ok, but my guests could not accompany me. Went up to get eggs and found hair in them! At that point I had enough and decided I had to stay something to the mgr in a "you won't believe my stay here thus far" way . I've forgotten her name, but I can say she was extremely apologetic and said she would give me a low rate for my next stay. My next stay I decided not to take her up on her offer and chose to stay at the marriott park lane that was fantastic! Great rooms, great staff and great lounge.

Moving forward to spring 2014! I've decided to give County Hall another try, this time with my husband, 12 and 10 year old children purely for the good location for the kids to see. In Fact, we are celebrating my daughters birthday so hopefully I won't have a repeat from 2010. This time I have booked a Big Ben room with lounge access (even though I'm supposed to have access as a gold member. The front desk staff and concierge were very unfriendly and a little snobbish, but the manager made up for it as best she could. All in all a good solid marriott, but don't really treat loyal members any different. Here's hoping april 21st stay is better than the last.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TanyaRh
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Booked this hotel as we wanted a room with a view of Big Ben with a good standard of hotel. The check-in was professional if a little lengthy. The room seemed nice if a little basic for an "executive room" but the view was fantastic and worth the extra cost.
Breakfast was not worth £22 as the food was not great. Soggy bacon and greasy potatoes. Served in very heavy le creuset pots which were difficult to lift and try to serve food at the same time.
It all seemed a bit fussy and a less formal approach might have made for a better experience.
The service was impeccable an location is spot on but breakfast spoilt the stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank nsjgriff
Ravenshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed at this hotel for just one night with my husband and our 4 year old granddaughter. I chose it because of the location, my granddaughter wanted a room like the children in Peter Pan with a view over London and of Big Ben. I contacted guest services prior to our arrival because Tallulah has multiple food allergies and we need to travel with her own foods ( coconut milk etc). I asked for A fridge to be put in the room to accommodate her requirements and it was in the room when we arrived. The room was large compared to other London hotels we have used and Tallulah enjoyed a "swim" in the pool. We didn't eat in the restaurant because of her allergies so I can't comment on that but we did have room service breakfast which had cereals and toast that we could feed her so that was good. If I had to criticise anything it would be that we only had one robe in the room, no slippers and no evening turndown service, attention to these smaller details would make all the difference and get a 5 star rating from me.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hazy-Sunshine
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed here for ten days, christmas through new years. I would say it is the greatest location, great food, great staff, and easy to navigate to and from. I would recommend anyone stay here, I will return to this location again for my next stay in London.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the river, it is a view you do not want to miss.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple