“Grand hotel with great location”

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Ranked #151 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Location is one of its strongest points. Although, it has more to its sleeve than just the location. First let's review the location: the hotel is located in the midst of most of the attraction that London has to offer. My view offered stunning panorama of the River Thames and Big Ben. The London Eye is also located on the hotel's doorstep. Across the bridge near Big Ben is Westminster Abbey. A few blocks of walking then you'll be in Trafalgar Square with Buckingham Palace a short walk. The location also offers numerous restaurants in the area including a ramen place *gasp* in one of the County Halls nooks and crannies. And did I mention that it is walking distance from this big train station that my uncultured memory has come to escape its name.

The architecture is quintessentially London. One of the most definitive places to stay in London in a great location at which a Burberry sales associate commented "Oh that is a very nice area." I will definitely be back here as my hotel of choice when staying in London.

Room Tip: You will not regret booking a Thames River view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,758)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

yes, it's a big aged as a building but the staff does a nice job of keeping it clean and operating nicely. it's located on the Thames and right across from Westminster station. Our room was a river view and Big Ben across the river. Nice executive lounge w/ a decent breakfast offering and then complimentary beer and treats in the late afternoon. the staff was exceptional and extremely helpful as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Dined here with friends at lunch-time. Quality of food and presentation very good, and service absolutely top class. Very professional, unobtrusive, well dressed, and polite staff. The only downside - hence my allocation of 4 stars instead of 5, concerns the price of drinks, for which you need a bank loan to fund. £4.00 for a glass of orange-juice; £3.50 for a small tonic water, and £11.50 for a gin and tonic, are on the high side, even taking into account the quality of the furnishings and number of serving staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

The historic building of County Hall is stunning and the loction amongst the best you can get in London with amazing views over the Thames.
However the hotel rooms are aged and not up to standard any more for this price class.
The Pool and Sauna area is large but also aged and can not compete with standards in this price class any more. A makeover is overdue!
Another minus for the pool: it is completely over chlorinated. Breathing in the pool room is hardly possible...
Another disappointment was the afternoon tea. Served in the beautiful library with amazing views I was really looking forward to this experience. Just to be turned away at the entrance as I had no reservation.... So hotel guest have NO preference over outside guests. No effort by the staff was made to get me a table at a later time. Very dissappointing.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Joika
Theresa M, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel County Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your constructive review and I am glad you enjoyed our fantastic location.

There is no valid explanation for the lack of attentiveness or indeed the levels of chlorine in our pool, which are checked continuously. Our sincere apologies for these.

The hotel enhancements and revamp are at the forefront of our attention and we are committed to deliver the plans we have in progress.

In the meantime, we will continue to heighten our focus to exceed our guest’s expectations.

Kind regards,
T Maw, General Manager

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Fabulous stay in a studio suite with a balcony overlooking Big Ben and the London Eye .. Probably the best view from a hotel on earth !

Great steak in Gillrays restaurant and fabulous staff

My favourite hotel, restaurant and a bar

Thanks guys !

Room Tip: It's a big hotel so close to the lifts is a good choice
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here last night , in a " standard room"
Certainly not the cheapest , but flawless service from valet parking to check out
Room was lovely and spacious
Dinner was excellent , all staff attentive and friendly
We will be back

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here numerous times over the years. Always in a suite on the 6th floor.Everything that has been mentioned in reviews both good and bad are fairly accurate. But I would like to point out to everyone that uses this hotel that there are SECURITY ISSUES. On Saturday 5th April @approx 8am IN THE MORNING I was on the balcony having a drink and admiring the wonderful view when all of a sudden my wife shouted for me. Apon arriving back into the suite I found my wife in a very distressed state. Once she calmed down she explained to me that on getting out of bed and walking towards the bathroom (she didn't have much on!!!) the front door to the suite opened and a member of staff was about to walk in. NO KNOCK!!! Seeing this my wife screeched at them and they hastily made their exit. Once I got it out of her I naturally went outside to the corridor to remonstrate with the individual but alas no-one in site.
By this time I was bubbling and went straight down to reception to speak to someone. As usual I spoke with a very nice American Lady who as usual told me they would investigate and get back to me. The one point I would like to STRESS to everyone that reads this is simple-;
I paid a hell of a lot of money for my stay in this hotel and choose a suite for its PRIVACY!! Not much to ask is it??? Are you telling me that THE MARRIOTT GROUP have not got systems in place to see who's check-out or not??? So if they have then why do staff just take it apon themselves to go into rooms unannounced . Maybe for other reasons??????
Needless to say I won't be staying at this hotel again and will now use another hotel when in the capital. It will be interesting to see if I get a reply from their GUEST RELATIONS DEPT!!!!
You have been warned.

Room Tip: Obviously try and ask for a river-view room. May charge you more but it's worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank John D
Theresa M, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel County Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear JohnD,

Your review is extremely important and I thank you for your views, which we take most seriously. I was greatly dissapointed to learn that your concern was not responded in a more timely manner.

We have a full and thorough investigation report and statement from the lady maid who attempted to enter your room.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to communicating to you personally, so that we can address every point you raised.

Kind regards,