“Royal Treatment”

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Ranked #150 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 March 2009

Thank you County Hall Marriott for a truly incredible visit to London. We felt like honored guests and were treated royally for our entire visit. I stayed twice, once on a business trip and then returned a week later with family for a short vacation. We couldn't have asked for a more central location within a historic building. The English breakfast was included in our rate and it was wonderful. The concierge and bell staff were 5 star, I was never allowed to carry a lift a bag. Everyone was helpful, kind and friendly. The rooms were beautiful and large. My friend got a massage in the spa and said it was the best she had ever received. The day we were to leave was the night the snow storm hit London. The next morning we weren't sure about our van arriving to take us to the airport or flights leaving. The front desk staff, concierge and bell staff all did everything possible to help us. Phone#'s were provided, phone calls made for us and luggage quickly loaded to get us on our way.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank oldlantern
Write a ReviewReviews (2,752)

Reviewed 9 March 2009

We Stayed Marriot County Hall with 2 teenagers (11 and 13). Location is just great - lots of sights in walking distance. Waterloo station also near by. We had a Big Ben View room with 2 queen size beds. The room was clean, spacious and the view is superb. Hotel staff is really helpful. There is a nice big pool in 5th floor. Some London tour agencies will also pick you up from County Hall. We had a Golden Tours Sightseeing tour booked and pickup worked nicely. Overall we were really pleased. We will stay there again.

1  Thank Golf_On_Parasta
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Stayed here mid January for a Monday night for business reasons, only short walk from Waterloo Station and great location on river bank right next to the Eye and opposite Big Ben. Efficient and polite concierge greeting on arrival, however receptionist was very brusque and formal with no smile (only downside). We had asked for early check in (at noon) and room was ready and all as requested with river view at supplement, well worth it as great view on 4th floor. Room was very spacious with huge modern bathroom and separate huge walk in dressing room. Couldn't understand previous comments about swimming pool not easy to find as I found signposting fine, maybe they've improved it...certainly very large and airy swimming pool, they claim the biggest in London with natural light and its on the top floor ! Didn't swim in it myself but it looked very tempting. Room was amazingly quiet despite closeness to Big Ben chimes and the traffic on the bridge. We had afternoon tea in the old Library overlooking Thames which was real old fashioned English afternoon tea (tip- you need to book a table ahead at reception,there are 2 sittings ) - with scones, jam, cream, cucumber sandwiches etc, in wood panelled period room - expensive but one tea was enough for nearly 3 of us. Breakfast next morning was fresh and well presented. Beds were super comfy. Overall a very convenient place to stay, seemed to be very popular with business travellers, especially Americans, so probably not so child friendly. If you like architecture and history, this hotel has plenty of it making it an interesting place to stay. Would definitely stay again, especially if the receptionist can smile !

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Have just spent 1 night at the Marriott County Hall.On arrival geeted by the doorman who explained where to leave car.We had arranged to have an early check and when we arrived with our 7 yr old at 10.30am we were shown straight to our room
We had booked a river view but were overjoyed to find that we had a Big Ben view for no extra cost!
Room furnishings superb ,bathrobes provided.
A little surprised that a 5 star hotel did not have flat screen tv and no ipod docking station as was described in room description but that is only a minor flaw
We used the superb pool and had no problems using the changing rooms in the club no one said that children were no allowed to use them and everybody was very helpful.
Breakfast was a buffet and was adequate ,have had better in other 5 stars,waiting staff pleasant and helpful,
Would happily stay here again.

Reviewed 23 February 2009

Excellant location chosen after reading reveiws for city centre five star hotels with swimming pools. Booked through Marriot some three months prior to visit and everything was as should have been on arrival . I booked an escape package from marriot which included breakfast and London eye vouchers .I would advise getting there early to avoid queues. Many other attractions within fifteen to twenty minutes walk from hotel. Room booked had big ben view and I was impresed with the level of quietness and calm in the middle of a busy city. City tour buses can be boarded at the front door and the underground tube station at Waterloo is only five minutes walk from the hotel. This is probably the cheapest way to get aroud . I used taxis acouple of times for convenience and they were expensive .Only downside to hotel was the swimming pool, or rather signage and use of it . I had seen this with other reviews before travelling and so did a visit to the pool reception to speak to staff before using the facility but even so getting there on the day proved difficult because of the need to use a four digit code to gain access form the changing areas to the pool itself . During my visit I was asked for directions by other guests trying to find their way to the pool so I was not the only one having problems.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank westcoaster75
Reviewed 20 February 2009

Booked 2 night stay with husband and 2 children - one baby and one 11 yr old. Booked Big Ben view room had asked for room we would all fit in ok. arrived and room tiny asked to move to bigger room - paid to upgrade to a Big Ben view suite £350 per night. Room 353. Executive level 4 access with this room which is a coneirge service. Our room shabby, travel cot provided had horrible sagging base and dirty mesh. 11 year old had camp bed which she nicknamed her "war bed" as was old metal framed which did not look or feel appealing, plug had to be prised out of bath, towels and dressing gowns very tired looking. Ordered room service first night finally arrived after nearly an hour. burger was totally raw - had to phone manager to comeup. she agreed was uncooked and should not be touched! She said if we became ill in night to contact her who would get a doctor. The meal was already free as they advertise if their food is not delivered within 45 minutes then the meal is free. When I phoned down to the room service after 50 minutes she tried bartering with me and said how about just free desserts!! I said they advertise the whole meal is free -she agreed finally. The food was awful and cold when it came anyway. Didnt eat at hotel again. The executive lounge was pretty pathetic. Table cloths had holes in. The fire alarm that is tested every Thursday morning between 10:15am and 10:30am was still going off at 10:45am and when I spoke to the manager about it he said it goes off a few times between 1015 and 1030. It was 10:45 when I spoke to him and suggested he look at his watch or out the window at Big Ben and why was it still intermittently going off!!! The Food & Beverage Manager /guest relation manager was supposed to contact me but found her just before we left and I asked why she had not contacted us and she said she had tried our room twice but we were out. I asked why she had not left a message on the room phone and she said the messaging service is broken! On checking out invoices could not be printed as the computer printers were broken. Not allowed in the "nice" swimming pool changing rooms with children. The whole place is more geared up for business travellers. The baby pram had to be carried up and down the entrance steps as their lift is locked and it became a big palava trying to gain access to it. The rooms are tired looking and there is no attention to detail. The guest relation manager gave me her card and told me to book directly with her and give them a chance by staying there again. I was honest and said no way would we come back. We went to London last month and stayed at the Dorchester which was just absolutely perfect. never again to a Marriott.

3  Thank hedgi
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I've been meaning to write this review for a while - I stayed at the Marriott County Hall when I was in London on business and loved it. Such an interesting building. The only downer was getting into London, jet lagged, and not being able to check in immediately. I know it was a busy time but I ended up having to wait a few hours before checking in. Regardless, the staff was very nice and the concierge was helpful.

The room was nice; it had a view of the Eye of London and the Thames which was great. The windows were double paned so the chime of Big Ben, across the river, didn't keep sleepers up, but you could open the windows if you wanted.

There was also quite a bit of construction around the hotel - on the main entrance and such. It didn't really interfere with anything but I'd like to visit again when it's all complete.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)