“Great hotel- but not if you have mobility problems”

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Ranked #199 of 1,063 Hotels in London
nyc
“Great hotel- but not if you have mobility problems”
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Just a "heads up" that this hotel does not have an accessible entrance at the front door. When you need to enter, a security guard must open a door at a separate location with a lift. One must make sure that security rounds are not being changed. Most of the time, however, the guards were most pleasant and available to help. If one has a cellphone, one can call ahead for assistance.

The other problem is access to the pool and hot tub- one needs to climb stairs so that was not available. Too bad a lift was not in place to use these amenities.

The buffet breakfast was wonderful and the staff excellently trained to assist. Also, very pleasant attitude from all.

Wish that Marriott would make this hotel truly accessible. Otherwise, a great stop in a lively part of London.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NYC
Reviewed 25 August 2009

The hotel has a wonderful location. At first, we were satisfied with our two rooms but, on the second night, there were mice in our children's room. At two in the morning, they were moved to a different room. The assistant manager told the kids they could have a free bottle of water and free internet service for one day. The next day, I went through three assistant managers until the night manager would speak to me. The assistants first offerred, as compensation, a free breakfast (which was already included) and then 20,000 Marriott points. It took a lot of negotiating until the manager finally agreed not to charge for the room for that night. He was not very gracious about it.
Two nights later, we went to the theater. We ordered the tickets from the concierge four months ago. When we arrived at the theater, our seats were occupied by another family. The manager blamed Ticketmaster for the mixup but meanwhile, instead of the fifth row orchestra as our tickets specified, we ended up in the next to last row in the balcony.
I am now finished with Marriott forever.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank FCBUD
Antelope, California
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Let me first say that I am a british guy that spent 11 yrs in the USA before going back to the UK for a ten day visit. I have become fully Americanised and I’m writing this feedback for other Americans that might be visiting England.

I travel throughout the USA, mostly West coast – Sacramento, San Francisco, La, Seattle and lots of other small places on the way.

At one time I was a Marriott Gold club member.

I had been planning a trip to the UK with “the Mrs’s” for about six months. I hestitated to book the Marriott County Hall because it is one of the most expensive hotels in London. I called the Marriott rewards number and asked how much money would I have to pay to stay three nights at County Hall if I used up all of my rewards points. Only $ 350.00 Wow! What a find. I bought a few thousand more rewards points and then used them to book three nights in a Riverview room at County Hall.

Later on we decided to stay one more night in London and I booked another night, (also a Riverview room), on my credit card.

Our flight arrived early a.m. and we took the shuttle to the Hotel. We arrived around 9.00 a.m. and our room was not ready. At the check in I was reminded that Hotels in England have a different mentality than in the USA. Hotels in “the UK” consider many things to be “extra” and have an “extra” fee for them. County Hall is no exception. My expectation was that the room was already paid for and that would be that . Not so! Apparently there is a special “extra” fee for a Riverview room that was not included in the original price. Long story short I paid the extra fee, (50 GB Pounds per night). I also was offered some kind of access to a special lounge that offers afternoon Hor’s Douvres – not worth it since the hotel is located in central London and you can get anything you want there. I had expected breakfast to be included in the room rate but this was not so either, the 50 GBP “upgrade” included breakfast for two for the first three days but not the fourth.

More than a Hotel County Hall breathes all things British. The doormen, bell hops etc all wear a period piece suits complete with a bowler hat. Expect to hear them say “Good Morning” in an educated London accent. All part of the fun of staying here!

We left our bags with the Porter and went off to discover London.
The Houses of Parliament, the UK version of the White House, is one block away across Westminster Bridge. We took a walk along “The queens walk”, a public walk/access way that is in front of the hotel and along the River Bank. This area would be something like the British version of the Embarcadero in San Francisco and comes complete with a Salvador Dali statue, the Dali Museum, the Movie Museum of London, the London Eye and a few other attractions. Both of the open top bus tours stop outside the hotel and there are always cabs waiting to take you anywhere in the City. The river is right on the riverfront and all the boat tours leave from right outside.

We didn’t want to wait in line for the London Eye so we went off to explore whatever we could find in walking distance. One minute later we were taking photo’s outside of the Houses of Parliament. Note this is a very safe area. For the first time in many years I saw policemen walking the street in pairs. Then we went in for a tour of Westminster Abbey and asked directions to a good fish and chip shop. 10 minutes later we escaped the rain to get lunch at the Laughing Halibut. The first real fish and chips that I’d had in ten years.

After lunch we went back to the hotel and went up to the room.
I have to say that by American standards the room was small, but in London all Hotel rooms are small so I guess this is as big a room as can be had.

The view from the room was not exactly like the view that is shown on the Marriott Web Site. The web site shows the best possible view. With that said our view was pretty good. We were looking towards the London Eye and had to peer out the window to see Big Ben, (a block away next to the Houses of Parliament). We looked down on the Queens walk and saw a beautiful view of the City of London.

Air conditioning is not standard anywhere in the UK so the room had heat but no AC. The heater was adequate but nothing to write home about.

High speed internet was available but not for free? Another UK “Extra”
TV worked ok but was small, (19 inch), no cable and a small selection of UK channels. In a Marriot 8 point Hotel I had expected a flat screen – the selection of UK channels did not have anything on them worth watching. The Web site promised “Pay Movies” My expectation was that this would be something like the standard USA Marriott pay per view movies;ie; dozens of movies both box office and recently released, each one for a fee. This is another one of those things that the UK does not have. County Hall’s version of Pay per view is a choice of Movie A or movie B on Mondays and Wednesdays, Movie C or D on Tuesdays and Thursday, Movie E or F on Wednesdays and Fridays. Once you choose the movie you will find that you can only watch it at its start time, usually 8.00 or 9.00 p.m. Pretty strange set up and a choice of only two movies per night. Since most of these were violent/scary movies we never used the Pay movies.

Room service was very good. We ate at the room every night. Yes folks they have the famous Marriot Burger and of Course Fish and Chips which was very good. On the whole the room service food was very good and my wife loved it.

Beds were standard hotel bed and nothing special. I had thought that a Marriott Class 8 hotel would have that really good bed that is standard in Marriott Courtyards all over the USA. Not an uncomfortable bed but nothing to write home about either.

The room we had did not have any soundproofing from street sound or from corridor sound. You can hear the bell of Big Ben chiming on the hour. In the evening a couple of musicians played along the river bank below and we could hear the music in our room. For us this was part of the charm of the place and the music stops around the same time that the clubs close the door, (around 10 of 11 p.m.)

I tried the free breakfast one day and found it to be everything that I might expect of Marriott, a full range of fruits, eggs, breads, etc plus the a la carte service of traditional English breakfast. Very good!

My wife loved the hotel. She described it as the best hotel she ever stayed at.
The location is the best if you want to see the sights of London and have a truly british experience but don’t expect anything American here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eujay
Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2009

My husband, 21 year-old son & I stayed at County Hall for 3 nights (rewards points) for our very first visit to London. Check in was simple and we were given a room with great views of Thames and the London Eye plus free breakfast & afternoon appetizers. Had our room been one room over either way, we would have had a view of Big Ben, Westminster Abbey & Parliament so keep that in mind! The two conceirge we talked with were absolutely great. We were not disappointed with their restaurant recommendations & tour suggestions! Don't expect eggs, bacon, gravy, hashbrowns for breakfast but you will enjoy the great croissants, cereal, fruits, cheese & meats. Staff were kind, accomodating & courteous. Rooms were good size, very quiet despite all the people walking along the river and other guests, and the beds very comfortable just wish they were queen size instead of regular. Not your typical hotel...but one you will never forget!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We stayed here twice over a 12-day period, at the beginning and end of a tour. Stayed using Marriott points, and was treated to an upgraded suite on the first stay, and a very large room with sofa and sitting area on the second stay. Staff is extremely courteous, accommodating, and provides individual attention to each guest.

Rooms and beds are comfortable. Concierge lounge is very small and could not accommodate all the guests who visited it the morning we were there.

Cannot beat the location -- right across the bridge from Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, river cruises and Tube stop. If you do not like hoards of tourists, however, this hotel is not for you. Expect large crowds as you leave the safe confines of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
windygates
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My family and myself stayed in this hotel 7th + 8th AUG. Having seen the hotel on various stays in london we thought we would give it a try even although the £240 per night stay room only was at the upper scale of our budget.. The hotel was as expectected at this price the top end of cleanliness ant the river view of big ben was lovely . But the whole embankment area is a mess with rubbish as there are no bins due to safety reasons , si it is hard to enjoy the main scenery as this distraction is always there. At the fronnt of the hotel there is an area with picnic benches which is lovely for sitting enjoying a reaxing drink but it is not locked till late on and we found it to be quite noisy.
The beds are lovely as is the faciliities in the room , but a considetation when booking this hotel is the fact that BIG BEN does go every 15 Minutes even through the night so we found it very hard to get a good nights sleep.
Overall the hotel was enjoyable but there are a lotof hotels in london which are cheeper
and every bit as good as this.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Washington DC
Reviewed 9 August 2009

the hotel is in the best location in all of london, you wont find a more perfect hotel than this! its worth the money! It has a nice long boardwalk with the london eye just a few feet away! The westminister stop is the closest to the hotel and the easiest way to get around. The view from the hotel was breathtaking bigben and thames river right out your window! The rooms are in perfect condition, however i wish they had more tv channels but your out and about all day you forget all about the tv! The only reason i gave the serivce four stars was because we had trouble checking in, we booked through expedia and apparently expedia "requested" our room, not confirmed. however, we were very lucky in the end and got our room.
the best pick to stay in london!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family