“Fantastic location and great stay!”

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Ranked #155 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I booked a room with river view for my wife's 40th birthday - and confirmed with the hotel that we'd get a room with two doubles as we had our children with us. We were allowed to check-in early at 12:00, (other guests were having to wait for their rooms from what we observed). The hotel having promised a good room, surpassed themselves and gave us a room on the top floor, with a balcony overlooking the Thames with views to the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye - this was perfect! The room was spotless and well appointed for a city centre hotel. (I'm Marriott Gold so not sure how much influence this had).

After we'd been on the Eye, we returned to our room to find Champagne and Strawberries for my wife - wonderful surprise and most appreciated.

The children loved the 25M pool. Having checked in early, we were also granted a late check-out at 1400.

The Executive Lounge is nothing special, we weren't in there when alcoholic beverages were available, but understand it is an honour bar. Breakfast in the lounge was adequate.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for London Marriott Hotel County Hall

Reviewed 25 September 2009

Well situated for our conference at QE2 conference center as it was easy walking distance. It was next to London Eye and across from Big Ben and Parliment. Clean, quiet, elegant. Rooms had trouser press and that was great. No free internet. Bummer.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Internet Access/Wi Fi was 15 pounds per day. Upgrade to executive lounge necessary if you want coffee because no pot available. Also one computer there to use. Food offerings meager. Small analog tv with only 14 channels. Management not very responsive. Nice rooms and convenient location but not sure it was worth it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Loved everything about the hotel. Great food, drinks and in the heart London. Excellent gym.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Just a "heads up" that this hotel does not have an accessible entrance at the front door. When you need to enter, a security guard must open a door at a separate location with a lift. One must make sure that security rounds are not being changed. Most of the time, however, the guards were most pleasant and available to help. If one has a cellphone, one can call ahead for assistance.

The other problem is access to the pool and hot tub- one needs to climb stairs so that was not available. Too bad a lift was not in place to use these amenities.

The buffet breakfast was wonderful and the staff excellently trained to assist. Also, very pleasant attitude from all.

Wish that Marriott would make this hotel truly accessible. Otherwise, a great stop in a lively part of London.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2009

The hotel has a wonderful location. At first, we were satisfied with our two rooms but, on the second night, there were mice in our children's room. At two in the morning, they were moved to a different room. The assistant manager told the kids they could have a free bottle of water and free internet service for one day. The next day, I went through three assistant managers until the night manager would speak to me. The assistants first offerred, as compensation, a free breakfast (which was already included) and then 20,000 Marriott points. It took a lot of negotiating until the manager finally agreed not to charge for the room for that night. He was not very gracious about it.
Two nights later, we went to the theater. We ordered the tickets from the concierge four months ago. When we arrived at the theater, our seats were occupied by another family. The manager blamed Ticketmaster for the mixup but meanwhile, instead of the fifth row orchestra as our tickets specified, we ended up in the next to last row in the balcony.
I am now finished with Marriott forever.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank FCBUD
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Let me first say that I am a british guy that spent 11 yrs in the USA before going back to the UK for a ten day visit. I have become fully Americanised and I’m writing this feedback for other Americans that might be visiting England.

I travel throughout the USA, mostly West coast – Sacramento, San Francisco, La, Seattle and lots of other small places on the way.

At one time I was a Marriott Gold club member.

I had been planning a trip to the UK with “the Mrs’s” for about six months. I hestitated to book the Marriott County Hall because it is one of the most expensive hotels in London. I called the Marriott rewards number and asked how much money would I have to pay to stay three nights at County Hall if I used up all of my rewards points. Only $ 350.00 Wow! What a find. I bought a few thousand more rewards points and then used them to book three nights in a Riverview room at County Hall.

Later on we decided to stay one more night in London and I booked another night, (also a Riverview room), on my credit card.

Our flight arrived early a.m. and we took the shuttle to the Hotel. We arrived around 9.00 a.m. and our room was not ready. At the check in I was reminded that Hotels in England have a different mentality than in the USA. Hotels in “the UK” consider many things to be “extra” and have an “extra” fee for them. County Hall is no exception. My expectation was that the room was already paid for and that would be that . Not so! Apparently there is a special “extra” fee for a Riverview room that was not included in the original price. Long story short I paid the extra fee, (50 GB Pounds per night). I also was offered some kind of access to a special lounge that offers afternoon Hor’s Douvres – not worth it since the hotel is located in central London and you can get anything you want there. I had expected breakfast to be included in the room rate but this was not so either, the 50 GBP “upgrade” included breakfast for two for the first three days but not the fourth.

More than a Hotel County Hall breathes all things British. The doormen, bell hops etc all wear a period piece suits complete with a bowler hat. Expect to hear them say “Good Morning” in an educated London accent. All part of the fun of staying here!

We left our bags with the Porter and went off to discover London.
The Houses of Parliament, the UK version of the White House, is one block away across Westminster Bridge. We took a walk along “The queens walk”, a public walk/access way that is in front of the hotel and along the River Bank. This area would be something like the British version of the Embarcadero in San Francisco and comes complete with a Salvador Dali statue, the Dali Museum, the Movie Museum of London, the London Eye and a few other attractions. Both of the open top bus tours stop outside the hotel and there are always cabs waiting to take you anywhere in the City. The river is right on the riverfront and all the boat tours leave from right outside.

We didn’t want to wait in line for the London Eye so we went off to explore whatever we could find in walking distance. One minute later we were taking photo’s outside of the Houses of Parliament. Note this is a very safe area. For the first time in many years I saw policemen walking the street in pairs. Then we went in for a tour of Westminster Abbey and asked directions to a good fish and chip shop. 10 minutes later we escaped the rain to get lunch at the Laughing Halibut. The first real fish and chips that I’d had in ten years.

After lunch we went back to the hotel and went up to the room.
I have to say that by American standards the room was small, but in London all Hotel rooms are small so I guess this is as big a room as can be had.

The view from the room was not exactly like the view that is shown on the Marriott Web Site. The web site shows the best possible view. With that said our view was pretty good. We were looking towards the London Eye and had to peer out the window to see Big Ben, (a block away next to the Houses of Parliament). We looked down on the Queens walk and saw a beautiful view of the City of London.

Air conditioning is not standard anywhere in the UK so the room had heat but no AC. The heater was adequate but nothing to write home about.

High speed internet was available but not for free? Another UK “Extra”
TV worked ok but was small, (19 inch), no cable and a small selection of UK channels. In a Marriot 8 point Hotel I had expected a flat screen – the selection of UK channels did not have anything on them worth watching. The Web site promised “Pay Movies” My expectation was that this would be something like the standard USA Marriott pay per view movies;ie; dozens of movies both box office and recently released, each one for a fee. This is another one of those things that the UK does not have. County Hall’s version of Pay per view is a choice of Movie A or movie B on Mondays and Wednesdays, Movie C or D on Tuesdays and Thursday, Movie E or F on Wednesdays and Fridays. Once you choose the movie you will find that you can only watch it at its start time, usually 8.00 or 9.00 p.m. Pretty strange set up and a choice of only two movies per night. Since most of these were violent/scary movies we never used the Pay movies.

Room service was very good. We ate at the room every night. Yes folks they have the famous Marriot Burger and of Course Fish and Chips which was very good. On the whole the room service food was very good and my wife loved it.

Beds were standard hotel bed and nothing special. I had thought that a Marriott Class 8 hotel would have that really good bed that is standard in Marriott Courtyards all over the USA. Not an uncomfortable bed but nothing to write home about either.

The room we had did not have any soundproofing from street sound or from corridor sound. You can hear the bell of Big Ben chiming on the hour. In the evening a couple of musicians played along the river bank below and we could hear the music in our room. For us this was part of the charm of the place and the music stops around the same time that the clubs close the door, (around 10 of 11 p.m.)

I tried the free breakfast one day and found it to be everything that I might expect of Marriott, a full range of fruits, eggs, breads, etc plus the a la carte service of traditional English breakfast. Very good!

My wife loved the hotel. She described it as the best hotel she ever stayed at.
The location is the best if you want to see the sights of London and have a truly british experience but don’t expect anything American here.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple