“Will stay there again!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #486 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Dublin
“Will stay there again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is a low cost hotel so definitely don't expect luxury. However, from my experience it obviously has good management - everything was very clean, well stocked and well looked after. The staff were welcoming, smiling and helpful. The location is a two-minute walk from Earls Court underground station with both the District and Piccadilly underground lines. There are plenty of supermarkets, places to eat and pubs close by.

The continental breakfast was plain and simple. In fact, I found it better than other hotels of the same grade. I liked the fact that there were camomile teabags as well as the usual tea or coffee, a plentiful supply of bananas or tinned peaches, and also yogurt. Here again the service was excellent. There is a lounge on the first floor with a kettle so you can make your own tea or coffee at other times. It was lovely to sprawl here at the end of the day or just make cup of tea and bring it back to my room. Again the camomile or peppermint teabags were appreciated.

As you can see from their website, the rooms have phone, TV and hairdryers. Basic toiletries are provided but remember to bring a shower cap if you need one. Like everything else, the bathroom was basic but very clean and my shower had good power.

And now for the negatives! As you will read in other reviews, rooms at the front of the hotel get noise from passersby/revellers (experienced by my travelling companion), there are thin walls between the rooms, and the noise of doors closing can be loud. I had a room at the back, stayed for four nights and only had noisy neighbours on the last night. My advice if you're a light sleeper is (1) definitely ask for a room at the back of the building and (2) keep an iPod under the pillow and listen to something relaxing to get you back to sleep if you're woken! I am a light sleeper but I'll definitely stay there again. I liked the caring atmosphere created by the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Zorro0133
LondonTownHotel, Manager at London Town Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Zorro0133,
Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to hear that the staff and the hotel met your expectations and that you will stay with us again.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Kind regards,
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I booked this hotel in a hurry for a last minute trip. Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised. The staff wade me feel welcome and were happy to help me with my many questions. I was given a room on the lower floor, before seeing it I was a little worried. However the room was exactly as I had seen in the pictures and the bathroom was new. No complaints from me. The was not a great view but that didn't matter for me as I was out all day.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Traveller7957
LondonTownHotel, Manager at London Town Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Traveller7957,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to hear that the staff made you feel welcome and that they were able to assist you with all of your questions. We are in the process of refurbishing our rooms with brand new bathrooms. Our basement rooms have been the first to be completed so I am very happy to hear that you found it suitable.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights at the beginning of our vacation and we returned for three nights at the end of our vacation. I chose this hotel based on the price, its reviews on Tripadvisor, and its proximity to the Tube.

The hotel is very, very close to the Earl's Court tube stop, but on a quiet side street which is great. There are many other hotels on the street but London Town was one of the lower priced options. The room décor is outdated and lacks any character. The walls have dings in them and the bathroom ceiling fan had A LOT of dust in it. The shower itself was extremely small. I couldn't bend in it without hitting the wall and I am not a large person. The water pressure and temperature was good. We had a bit of trouble getting the Wi-Fi to work upon arrival but had no problems with it once we were connected. I was not a fan of the breakfast so we only went down to the basement to have it one morning.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a decent place to stay while exploring London. My husband and I are not the types of travelers who hang out and relax in hotel rooms - we'd rather be out and about. If you are looking for something more than a convenient place to stay, you may want to look into other options. That being said, the price is probably the best you will find for a small hotel close to a main Tube stop in London.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kedelano
Dear kedalano,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you found the room décor outdated and without character. Our rooms are decorated simply whilst facilitating the budget conscious traveller’s needs. Our price point reflects this as you have correctly mentioned. I have informed the cleaning staff to be more aware of ceiling fans during their daily cleaning.
I am glad that you would be happy to recommend the hotel further.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We had a very pleasant weekend at the end of September at this hotel.
The Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Having Tea making facilities in the lounge was great.
Breakfast was adequate although a bit of Brown Bread would have been appreciated.
Rooms were warm and bed comfortable. En-suite was small but served the purpose.
Everything was spotlessly clean.
It was near the Tube and was in walking distance of Museums and Kensington Palace.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Eric Stevenson M
Dear Ecky_10,
Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we met your expectations. I am also very happy to inform you that we now offer our guests a choice of white or brown bread at breakfast. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Nottingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

The London Town Hotel is situated just a two minute walk from Earl's Court Underground station, making it very easy to get out and about. The reception staff were very friendly and couldn't have been more helpful, unfortunately it was the quality of the room that let this hotel down.
We had booked a triple room, but it was located down a pokey little side corridor only wide enough for one person. When we checked in... this corridor was filled with dirty bed sheets as they were changing the other rooms over... so we had to clamber over that.

The room itself was very small (considering it was a triple room) and quite dingy, decorated with dark green carpet, curtains and bed covers, and a VERY low watt light bulb which took ages to light the room up. There was a small cupboard for hanging things, but if you had this open, you blocked the door to the bathroom. The bathroom was also on the very small side, with the toilet squished into an impossibly tight corner.

The room got hot very quickly, and had no air conditioning, so we had to open very old sash windows, which would only be safely locked if you remembered to screw them shut.

As a place to just crash at night, it was just about OK... but could I relax in the room? No.
Don't think I'd stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jon T
LondonTownHotel, Manager at London Town Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear Jon T,
I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay.
You checked in before the check-in time of 2pm which was why housekeeping were still cleaning in the area. Despite this, housekeeping moved the bags to enable you to pass through and settle in your room ahead of time.
Our triple rooms consist of one double bed and one single bed. For three grown men, had you booked a room with 3 separate beds, this would have provided more space for each of you in the room. All our rooms are decorated in the same style which can clearly be seen in the pictures on our website ahead of booking.
The bathroom is of a standard size suitable for one person to use at a time.
We do not advertise air-conditioning in any of our rooms. The hotel is converted Victorian town house with period sash windows. This is an original feature.
Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

London Town Hotel is in a wonderful location to be able to see all the sights of London. The accommodation is very clean, comfortable, with excellent and helpful staff. Restaurants only around the corner, as is the tube station. It was all so easy.

Yvette and Hugo
Australia

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yvette H
Dear Yvette H,
Thank you for kind comments. I am happy to hear that you found the hotel clean and well suited to your needs during your stay in London. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

This was our first hotel experience in Europe and I was expecting a small room and bathroom and I was not disappointed. The beds were extremely uncomfortable and the street noise was pretty significant since we had to leave our windows open due to the heat. But....all of the front desk receptionists were very helpful and friendly and the location was wonderful. I can't compare our room to similar London hotels, but all in all I think we got a good value - which was what we were looking for. I would recommend this hotel for a budget conscience traveler looking for a clean, safe, friendly small hotel in a good location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear EmilyinAustin,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Room sizes in London are much smaller then those found in America. I am sorry that you found the beds uncomfortable and were disturbed by street noise. We have checked the mattress and it has been flipped as recommended by our supplier every 3 months. While the hotel benefits from being situated on a quiet residential street we are unable to control street noise that may occur from time to time. I am happy to hear that the staff were able to assist you and that you felt you received good value for money during your stay with us. We hope to be able to accommodate you again in the near future.
Manager.