“Best Hotel in London!!!!”
Review of Parkes Hotel

Parkes Hotel
Ranked #750 of 1,067 Hotels in London
CT
“Best Hotel in London!!!!”
Reviewed 11 May 2008

First of all, I can not even say enough good things about this hotel!!! I wish it had all five stars (and dont know why) so I would have found it sooner on tripadvisor. It is truly the best!!!! I have stayed in some really nice hotels before (Ritz in Central Park, Grand American in Salt Lake City, etc) and this hotel was perfect!!!! I didn't want to break the bank, but I also wanted a nice, clean, pretty place to relax after long days touring London. The hotel staff could not have been more WONDERFUL!!!! From the moment I walked into the door, they always said hello, knew my name, and were kind and so helpful! Please do not even think of staying anywhere else! I looked and looked at hotel reviews for probably a month to decide where to stay in London. Then I randomly did a search for best romantic hotels and this one came up. I KNEW I HAD A GOOD HOTEL WHEN I FIRST EMAILED THEM - they were kinder and nicer than any other hotel to which I had inquired. They went above and beyond the call of duty and made my London trip FABULOUS. I know that if I had stayed somewhere else, my trip would not have been half as good. It is about 2 block down (3 min walk) from the Knightsbridge Tube stop and Harrods. In a safe, quiet, clean neighborhood. There is a Marks and Spencer’s grocery store (really nice stuff) and a Sainsbury’s within feet. There is also a McDonalds 1 minute away (which was a nice thing to have on the run – only 6 USD for a full breakfast and it doesn’t taste as greasy as they do in the US). The best thing is that the Knightsbridge stop is on the Piccadilly line – thus, you get on at Heathrow and get off once right at this stop – so please don’t book a car or bus or something – the Tube was perfect and especially when on a budget. I had a single room, which I was a little worried about noise since it is next to the elevator. I think I only noticed the elevator noise a few times in the whole 10 days I was there – not a problem at all. I am a pretty light sleeper, but it did not bother me at all. The TV was great and had some neat options to pay for movies and such if you were going to be staying in. Also, they did room service through a few restaurants nearby (all of which were delicious and at no extra charge to deliver it to your room). They even brought up the food in this amazing basket, along with plates, bowls, condiments and such (because single rooms don’t have kitchenettes in them). The mini-bar had NO mini about it – it was the largest mini bar I have ever seen and although I did not use it, it was nice to know it was there! What else can I say…oh, the breakfast I had ordered to my room. It was good, but I think this was the ONLY thing remotely negative that I can say – it was not worth what it costs. Granted, I never went downstairs and had breakfast in the breakfast room, so it could have been more of a feast down there. I CAN’T TRULY SAY ENOUGH WONDERFUL THINGS ABOUT ALL OF THE STAFF!!! THEY MADE MY STAY!!!! Also, I was worried about phone calls costing too much, but I would dial home for a few seconds and have them call me back – most of the phone calls cost about 29 pence (50 US cents) – so definitely reasonable. Also, DON’T make “toll-free” or “1-800” calls, cause they cost 2 pounds each (4 USD) – and I think this goes for all hotels over there, so don’t look on the Parkes badly. The shower was a tidbit small, but for one person it was perfect. The shower head, if not for all of the other reasons above, is reason alone to go here. It really was the size of a dinner plate and great water pressure. I wanted to get one to put in my house back home! The bathroom was gorgeous marble and really beautiful. I felt like a queen in it! It is not the same size at the Ritz bathroom, but this is London and nothing is the same size. But I do have to say, the marble in the bathroom was JUST AS NICE as the marble bathrooms in the Ritz I have been to. I JUST COULD KEEP GOING ON AND ON – THIS IS THE BEST HOTEL IN LONDON – STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — EVERYTHING!!!!
  • Disliked — nothing!!!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank passionfortravelCT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bovi33
Reviewed 6 May 2008

Location is excellent, staff is unbelievably helpful. Hotel is very off the radar in an amazing part of London (Knightsbridge). Close to the tube, so work was easy - close to the sites and nightlife so fun was easy.

Hotel has no bar or restaurant, would I would argue is the only downside.

Bathrooms are AMAZING.

• Liked — The Staff, Location
  • Disliked — No Bar/Restaurant
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Bovi33
London
Reviewed 15 February 2008

We stayed at Parkes as part of a treat for my parents Golden Wedding Anniversary.

I have stayed at Parkes several times previously and one thing I knew about them was that I could rely on this hotel not to let us down for a one-off celebratory weekend. Sure enough Parkes did not let us down.

Once again we were pleasantly greeted on arrival with that personal touch that makes you feel welcome, something you should expect from a 4/5 star hotel but you rarely seem to get.

We had two junior suites and they were lovely. The rooms at Parkes are all different, not the usual duplicate boxes, so every visit tends to be a new and pleasant surprise. At least it has so far and I suspect that will not change.

I love the little touches like the handwritten welcome note in a sealed envelope waiting for you in the room.

The junior suites were both lovely. I gave my parents the larger room, and there was not much 'junior' about it. A large room that permitted the deep red painted walls without any sense of claustrophobia. A walk in wardrobe and large lcd tv together with a soft king size bed with luxury beddings.

The other room was also lovely and typically quirky with the front door leading to a small mezzanine area overlooking the rest of the room with steps down to it. The mezzanine had a desk area with the bed and sitting area below.

Everything is typically classy, distinct and unique just as the owner demands. Furnishings are luxurious and the bathroom toiletries are Molton Brown, just like you would find at the Mandarin Oriental :-)

The hotel itself is located in a quiet leafy side street just steps from Harrods. At night the area is tranquil and silent with no through traffic to disturb you so even the front rooms are quiet at night.

The one drawback, for some, will be the fact the hotel does not serve lunch or dinner, although it does serve breakfast. But London is on your doorstep, with wonderful Knightsbridge restaurants just minutes away.

The people are lovely, friendly and they smile making you feel welcome from the moment you enter to the sad point of departure. Parkes is not cheap, but for a special weekend in the city, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Liked — The people...
  • Disliked — nothing...
  • Stayed September 2007
3 Thank nephalion
BEDFORD
Reviewed 12 February 2008

We (7 of us) have just got home after a 2 night family stay at the Parkes Hotel and it was fantastic.....honestly, I couldn't recommend it highly enough. It was a special occasion and they made the weekend even more memorable with their excellent service.
We found and booked this hotel as a 60th birthday treat for our parents. Our parents regularly holiday in 4 or 5 star hotels so finding the right base for this weekend was a task I didn't think I would enjoy.
We arrived early and 2 of the 4 rooms were ready so we checked in and they took the luggage to the rooms and allowed us to explore the area.
Harrods is just a couple of minutes walk away, there are a great selection of cafe's, patisseries, restaurants and a couple of local pubs within 1-2 minutes walk. There is a taxi rank, bus stops (our big bus tour tickets were valid for 48hrs so we didn't need to use the tube) within seconds, I don't think we could have found anywhere more convenient for our weekend. The area feels very safe to walk around in the evenings and within 15min walk to Royal Albert and Hyde Park.
We had a single room for my 83yr old grandmother, 2 std doubles for my brother and his partner, and myself and my partner and a suite for our parents. The suite had a large lounge/dining area, small but v functional kitchen, and an additional bathroom for guests to use. It was a perfect space for the 7 of us to congregate in the mornings and evenings and to relax when we got home from our evenings out to enjoy a final night cap together.
As a guest of the Parkes hotel you are treated as VIP's. As its a smaller hotel they know your name as you arrive and address you by it each time they see you, giving you helpful pieces of information as you require. Most of the larger hotels we have stayed in previously know you by your room number and you are 1 of many guests passing through their reception area on an hourly basis. But not at the Parkes you will be please to know. All the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable and were happy to assist where ever they could. A couple of times my grandmother came back to the hotel by taxi alone whilst we continued to enjoy the sights of London and each time they escorted her to her room and ensured she had coffee and refreshments. The hotel has a guest lounge also which is very comfortable and relaxing.
Our father's birthday was on the Sunday 10 feb, and as a special surprise they arranged the most delicious birthday cake which they delivered to their room at the arranged time.

At the end of the weekend both our parents were still in shock at what we had arranged for their birthday treat and agreed that their room was the best they had ever stayed in. I wouldn't call them overly fussy but they certainly know what they like, so well done Parkes, we hope to stay with you again some time!! Thank you.

PS afternoon tea at the Park Lane Hotel was lovely too.

• Liked — Clean, well appointed, friendly, chic, location, decor, service, rooms
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank HILLS20
Claverdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2007

This was our 2nd stay this year and it was just as good! The staff are all so helpful and really care.

This was an 88th birthday treat for mum in law and we had invited our number 2 son and his fiancee to join us. We had booked a deluxe double and adjoining single and a standard double at a special rate arranged after our last stay.

We arrived early and only the deluxe double was ready. They then found that the other double reeked of smoke (smoking is not permitted anywhere!) so whilst we went to the Albert Hall for the Classical Spectacular they rearranged the rooms so we ended up in a one bedroomed suite and the kids had the deluxe double. Fantastic service.

The suite has a kitchenette area so that we could prepare tea and coffee and the lounge area was the meeting place for predinner drinks.

The bathrooms are small but delightful. The shower is so refreshing after a hard day with Moulton Brown toiletries.

They also arranged a complimentary gateau from Patisserie Valerie (just round the corner on Brompton Road.

Breakfast next morning was taken in the basement. Adequate and OK value at £12.50 for continental.

Mum travels in a wheelchair but can walk a little so access to the hotel was OK. It is not wheelchair friendly I'm afraid.

The Albert Hall is 5 minutes taxi ride or 15 minutes walk. Harrods is 5 minutes walk.

Euston Station has the taxi rank below the main concourse and there is no lift evident. At the top of a flight of stairs is a yellow phone for help. Used it, waited 10 minutes - nothing!

Saw the new St Pancras station. Visually stunning but sooooo cold in there. The longest champagne bar in Europe does not need to ice the drinks!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — wheelchair access
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Michael R
Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 November 2007

Very welcoming and nice staff. We had a 1 bed suite (room 44). Bedroom tiny but sitting room a better size with tiny kitchen (fridge, microwave, etc.). Great minibar. Great location and definitely stay there again, possibly in a room with an outside terrace.

M & K, Edinburgh

• Liked — Nice room, friendly staff, great location, good breakfast
  • Disliked — Overwarm duvet and the champagne (they need to provide better quality)
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mo_Edin
Middle Park, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2007

We stayed at the Parkes in London in late October. The hotel is loced in the heart of Kensington, in quite street near Harrods. The property is a period residence, however is really past its prime and needs restoration. Both rooms we were in had problems.

For the money I think there are much better options unless the location is critical to you.

• Liked — period building
  • Disliked — condition of the rooms and building given the cost
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple