“Afternoon Tea”

Corus Hotel Hyde Park London
Ranked #491 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My friends and I took tea this afternoon and despite there being only one other couple in the restaurant the service was very very slow our champagne was not properly chilled,we had a long wait before the food arrived when it did the sandwiches were dry on top as though they had been made much much earlier ,the scones of which there was one each ,were too large .The cakes of which there were two per person were uninspiring when we wanted more tea I had to go looking for a member of staff

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jean C
Nimo Abdi _, Guest Relations Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Jean C,

Thank you for reviewing your experience of us with the online travelling community. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I was very disappointed to hear that your Afternoon Tea did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the upset caused. I have forwarded your review to the Food and Beverage Services Manager and he is currently reviewing the issues with his team members. Please let me reassure you that this is certainly not the standard we strive for and we will do whatever it takes to prevent the issues from occurring again.

Should you be returning, please contact me directly at guestrelations.londonhydepark@corushotels.com so I can ensure that your next Afternoon Tea with us is a pleasant one.

Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (4,115)

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I booked a champagne afternoon tea at the hotel on one of those lovely half price deals as a treat for myself and a friend I infrequently meet up with.
We were a little surprised to find that there was absolutely NO-ONE else in the restaurant (bearing in mind we did get there at 1.30 and you would expect to find at least somebody having lunch). The staff were all very pleasant, the room was very nice apart from the horrid plastic chairs, and always a tick for me - proper napkins.
The champagne was not very cold and the sandwiches and cakes nice and warm - all really OK, but very bland - there was also a large scone - doughy in the middle and hard on the outside; the standard was really not what I've experienced at other venues. The girl who was serving us disappeared off and when it came time to settle up we had to go a huntin' for someone - the only person around seemed much more interested in talking on the phone than dealing with us - good thing we weren't in a hurry. Shame really - it could have been lovely!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Claire M
Nimo Abdi _, Guest Relations Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Claire M,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the online travelling community.

We were disappointed to hear that your Afternoon Tea experience did not meet your expectations. I have forwarded your feedback to the Food and Beverage Services Manager and steps have been taken to avoid the issues from occuring again in the future. Please accept our apologies for the upset caused.

Your kind words regarding the pleasantness of our staff was passed on, they were overjoyed.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

As the title says stayed for one night on the 8th March. We had booked through travel zoo and got a good rate with a bottle of wine in the deal as well.

We checked in very early 10 am and found our room was ready so we could leave our cases as we were off to The Shard. We had looked at reviews and paid a little extra to book a larger room which was well furnished, with a well appointed bathroom. Robes and slippers included. All the staff we interacted with were pleasant and wanted to help.

Breakfast was very good not one of the best I have had but very good indeed, with plenty of everything available. Just one comment when asking if you wanted tea or coffee you could be asked if you also wanted toast, rather than trying to find out where the toaster was.

The only other problem we encountered, being on the 10th floor it was a pain waiting for the lift one was broken down which put extra strain on the remaining two. People were coming up from floor 4 & 5 to 10 to go back down to the lobby.

We will stay again when next in London for the night.

We will use this hotel again

Room Tip: Pay extra and get a slightly bigger room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I booked the Corus without reading reviews as it was a special offer and I was in a rush to book a hotel.
I then read the reviews and was very nervous about what to expect when we arrived!

We were so pleasantly surprised, the hotel gets such bad reviews I'm baffled as to why!

We got upgraded to a Executive room which was fantastic as we were in London to celebrate my 30th birthday so that was a lovely surprise. The first room we got on the 7th floor was a non smoking room but it reaked of smoke. We called reception and by the time my husband got downstairs they had allocated us a new room on the 8th floor. It was a lovely room.

The bed was really comfortable! I didn't want to get out of it in the morning! That's not normally the case in hotels for me!

The staff were all really friendly and helpful!

The hotels location was fantastic! With Hyde park accross the road and Oxford street a short walk away! We were lucky as spring had decided to show it's face so the walk in the sunshine was all that more enjoyable!

I'm not sure what the standard room is like, I've heard it's small but the executive room was fantastic for what we needed.

We would certainly stay in the hotel again! It's a fantastic find! And recommend that other people give it a try too and try not be swayed by the negative feedback on this page, sometimes people just like to complain!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank cezboswell
Nimo Abdi _, Guest Relations Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Cezboswell,

Thank you for choosing Corus Hotel Hyde Park, it was a pleasure to have welcome you as our guest. We were disappointed to hear that the room smelled of smoke, please let me reassure you that this is not the type of service we strive for and this issue is currently under review. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

We thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. Your positive comment motivate us to continue to strive for an excellent customer service. We were happy that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you would be returning. should you have any preference for your next stay, please contact me directly on:
guestrelations.londonhydepark@corushotels.com

Reviewed 5 March 2014

The room was OK, but nothing special, and small even by London standards. Nothing amazing. Concierge was very nice, and directed me to a restaurant in the hotel, but not run by the hotel, called Bel Canto - and that was spectacular (extraordinary French food, with the waiters/waitresses singing top-shelf opera throughout - gotta try it!). Anyway, the hotel location was great, right across from Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens - walking distance to the British Museum, Harrods, Buckingham Palace etc., if you're not afraid of a little walking. Probably wouldn't stay there again, but wouldn't discourage someone if they were interested in that location, either.

Room Tip: Not sure. I didn't get a great one, but not sure which would be better.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jennifer S

Dear Jennifer S,

Thank you for your review. We were so pleased to hear that our hotel’s location, so near to Hyde Park and other popular sightseeing locations was a great benefit for you. I have passed on your lovely feeback about to the Concierge and Bel Canto team, they were overjoyed.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Very pleasant on arrival, checked in only to find the room still being cleaned. Couldn't offer another room as fully booked but we could upgrade (so the can find a room if you want to pay. Gave them 15 mins to finish and investigated...... No cleaner, room seemed ok so lay down on the bed to rest my weary legs. My chilling was interrupted when somebody just walked in, looked at us apologised and then she had gone. Into the city for a theatre trip got back to the room cream cracker end and ready for a good nights sleep. The bed was uncomfortable and sleep was limited. I was glad to get up and wondered what breakfast would be like as it was included in the price. We sat down in the conservatory in the sunshine, watching the World going past and tucked into a Fantastic breakfast. They catered for every need from continental to full English through to Asian and Indian breakfasts. Summary, Good price, location good as overlooking Hyde Park (had a little walk, lovely) Room ok, bed poor, breakfast fantastic. Would I stay again, if I could check the bed then definitely.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Nimo Abdi _, Guest Relations Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear 850Jez64,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of us with the online travelling community. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests.

We were disappointed to hear that you found the bed uncomfortable. We would very much like to know more about the room which you stayed in so we can prevent this from occurring in the future, please kindly get in touch with us directly: guestrelations.londonhydepark@corushotels.com

Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife & I wanted a centrally located hotel within walking distance of an underground station and shops.
Arrived at the reception early morning not thinking we would be allowed to check in but were pleasantly surprised to be told by a very pleasant young man our room was available.
Our room was on the eight floor and whilst small was well appointed and overlooking the main Bayswater road & Hyde Park.
If i hadn't got the discount voucher I don't think we would have used this hotel, normal room prices are in my opinion to high for what you get.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Cambo2910,

Thank you for choosing to stay Corus Hotel Hyde Park. We truly appreciate your feeback.
It was a pleasure to read that our location so close to Lancaster Gate station and shopping locations was such a benefit for you. We were pleased that you enjoyed the room overlooking Hyde Park. We try to make sure that all of guests experience the beautiful view.