“Ok for the price”

Corus Hotel Hyde Park London
Ranked #507 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 June 2006

I stayed here for one night on business and whilst I was hardly bowled over by this hotel it was better than some I have recently stayed in.

The rooms were VERY VERY small and unbearably hot (there was no air conditioning available) but clean and well looked after. Unfortunately as it was so hot in the room I had to sleep with the window open which meant that I was awaken very early in the morning by the sound of traffic rushing past the window (the hotel is located on a busy road opposite Hyde Park and having the window open was unavoidable) I shouldnt imagine this is a problem in the winter but I will certainly be avoiding this hotel again in the summer!!!

The bathroom was small but modern (even more so than in the bedrooms) and would have been too small for two people sharing a room.

Service at check-in and during breakfast was friendly and the staff in the breakfast room were very attentive and friendly. Breakfast also seemed very fresh and plentiful.

Lancaster Gate tube station is a stones throw from the hotel and is located on the Central line so its very easy to get almost anywhere within a short space of time.

I would only stay at this hotel again if I had a limited budget but it will not be my first choice.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank SDLeeds

A TripAdvisor Member
Miami, Florida USA
Reviewed 13 June 2006

We stayed here for 3 nights and enjoyed our stay very much. The hotel is located across from Hyde Park, a few blocks from the Underground Lancaster Gate Terminal.

Our room was very tiny, and had a comfortable queen bed, in-room safe, and a very nice bathroom. The decor was modern, and appealing. Cleaning staff was very friendly and efficient. Our towels and complimentary soaps were stocked daily.

The continental breakfast consisted of cereals, croissants, fresh fruit, tea, coffee, milk and juice. The staff were very attentive and courteous.

We would definately stay here again! We loved the cleanliness and the upgraded amenities in the rooms, as well as the friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 June 2006

We only had 1 night at Corus hotel on a 2 day stopover in London. We found the location great, close to Lancaster Gate station and bus stops. One of the tourist busses stops just around the corner too so this was perfect for us sight seeing.
From the minute we walked in the door we felt welcome and the friendly staff couldn't have been more helpful. The staff told us where to get the tourist bus, where to catch the bus to Notting Hill(and how much to expect to pay), Sightseeing things not to miss out on. We arived early (9am) so our room wasn't ready so we were happy to leave our bags and go sight seeing. We were upgraded for our troubles and the room was lovely. Modern, clean and a good size.
We did find the breakfast the next morning a little dissapointing, I had a killer hang over and needed a coffee but there were no clean cups available, so I asked and was told they wouldn't be long but they only brought out a few at a time so everyone rushed in and I missed out the first 3 lots. They didn't seem to have much of anything and there was still guests arriving for their breakfast.
The hotel was happy to hold our bags till 7pm so we could make the most off our time in London.
We would definately stay here if we were to visit London again.

5  Thank zekenz
Reviewed 16 May 2006

We arrived well before check in time, but were pleased to hear that our room was ready. The weather was brilliant, but due to the lack of air conditioning in standard rooms, meant that the room was very stuffy. There was a fan and we did open the window, which helped, but I'm sure the heat would have been too much for some, I did see notices in reception welcoming you to upgrade your room to superior with air conditioning for an extra £30 a night, I think if we'd been staying any longer than two nights we might have had to.
The room was clean, bathroom was on the small size but more than made up for with the brilliant shower. The room was a decent size but the bed was pushed into the corner, maybe not so good if you don't like (like me!) being up against the wall to sleep.
The reception and bar area are lovelly, and the staff friendly and helpful.
The location in brilliant, 2 minutes from Lancaster Gate tube station, and right across the road from Hyde Park, well worth a wander round, especially in the brilliant weather we had.
In all, a great little hotel, especially when you can get a good deal on Lastminute.com like we did. But if I was to stay for longer than a couple of nights I would definetely have to upgrade rooms.

6  Thank AnohrJ
Reviewed 15 May 2006

May, 2006
Four of us have just returned from a 6 night stay at the Corus Hotel on Hyde Park, London. We were all very pleased with the staff, the rooms, and the breakfast (which was included in the price for the room). The rooms were clean, more spacious then what we expected, and the service was very good. The staff was accomodating and pleasant at all times. During our stay we had many questions for the Concierge staff, all of whom were very helpful and patient. We reserved two rooms, each for 99 British Pounds per night, including a full English breakfast. Breakfast was served on the bottom floor, in a sunny and very clean room, and breakfast was buffet style. We had cold cereals, a few juices, fruit, sausages, bacon, eggs (both scrambled and fried), fried tomatoes, and sliced fried potatoes from which to choose. Once we were seated, the wait staff was immediately at our side to question our preference for coffee or tea and toast. Prior to our visit, I contacted the hotel about my concern for the size of the rooms, due to the height of the men in our party. The person who spoke to me was pleasant, understanding and typed a note into the computer while we were speaking; the rooms we were given accomodated the height of the men. The window opened part way - enough to receive the cool breeze of May and the air conditioning, although not powerful, did help on a couple of nights. There is a small restaurant in the hotel, as well as a bar area where we could order food late in the evening. We have no complaints about this hotel, and if ever in London again, we would certainly go back.

4  Thank Merrimack
A TripAdvisor Member
North Cyprus, Kyrenia
Reviewed 15 May 2006

We stayed in this hotel for our wedding anniversary. The location was wonderful. we enjoyed having our coffees by just looking at the Excellent Hyde Park.The room service was very good and the hotel staff was very helpful.Room was very clean and big enough for a short stay.We really enjoyed the next door pub! Swan.The Lancaster Gate tube is only two minutes walking distance from the hotel.The area was very secure and very close to the heart of London.We enjoyed every bit of our stay in Corus Hotel!:)

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 May 2006

Stayed at the Corus for 5 nights and had a wonderful experience. It was the perfect place to stay. Arrived a little early and while a room was available, we chose to wait for a non-smoking room. Checked our bags and went out to explore for an hour. The hotel is a block away from the Lancaster Gate station on the Central Line and is directly across from the beautiful Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens. Paddington Station is also a short distance away. The room we got was great. I'd read about the tiny rooms, but that was not our experience. It was good size room, the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was much larger than most Manhattan apartments! Overall it was inviting enough to relax after a long day of sightseeing. Service was great. While there was a pant press in the room I requested an iron and board and received it five minutes later. Used room service a couple of times and each time satisfied with my selection. The concierge was helpful with getting stamps for postcards and advice on where to eat around the area. The hustle and bustle of paddington is not really in plain sight so what looks like a predominantly residential areas really isn't. I thought that was a plus, because the room was quiet, no real traffic or people noise.

• Stayed: April 2006