“Pleasantly Surprised”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington
Ranked #615 of 1,088 Hotels in London
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

With the overwhelmingly negative reviews I had read prior, I was somewhat pleasantly surprised when I arrived. Yes, the rooms are small, but they were clean and more than adequate--I do not go to London, to spend time in my hotel room. Having stayed there twice during my recent visit to Britain, I stayed in two different rooms. One was definitely on the backside of being upgraded, and one on the frontside. I guess I got a before and after kind of view.
The "cooked" breakfast was very nice, and typically Brit, though in this day and age, better quality canned fruit could be used. The dining room staff were, for the most part, relatively efficient (but because of the uneveness, I am wondering if it is a training program of some sort).
Overall, I only have three negatives: 1) Most places around the world where I have stayed, have free wi-fi for their guests, instead of charging a heady 5BP for two hours, or a portion thereof--a block away are numerous free wi-fi spots where I went to check work emails for 1/2 hour each day, instead of adding 5 BP per day to my bill (if coffee shops, B&Bs, and cheap motels can give you free wi-fi... ); 2) They seemed to be perplexed at what a "twin" was, and kept attempting to give us (I was travelling with my elderly father) a single queen; 3) My last morning, there was no hot water in my room, not even tepid--after my workout, and on my way to the airport, it felt even colder. There was no apologies from the staff, only a gruff "we are looking into it."
Location-wise, you could not ask for anything better with easy access to anywhere in London via Tube, or bus (less than 5 minutes from High Street Kensington Station).
Price-wise, for the location, it cannont be beat.
***** - Price and Location
***-**** - Service (in-consistent)
***-**** - Room, small and in-consistent
*** - Breakfast, food quality average to poor (depending on what you ate)

Would I stay there again? YES, without a hesitation. I was there for business and family.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

Just returned from a very disappionting stay in the Kensington Close Hotel. The booking in was disorganised chaos. The room was ok but the bed was to small and broken. The springs on the near side had gone where everyone has previously sat.It was only a 3/4 bed so you could not avoid sleeping on the broken springs that 'pinged' everytime you moved in the night. The bar man was rude and abrupt on asking for my room card to check that I was staying in the hotel. Shortly afterwards another member of the bar taff wanted me to pay for some dinks he thought a had orderd earlier. We never used the bar again. The conciage staff were excellent so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank chelseaYork
kenclose, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
Greetings. Thank you for your review. I have sent you a private message in an effort to receive additional information on the events you describe. We take our guest comments very seriously and as such, would like to rectify the issues you have identified right away. In that connection, we would need additional information.

In any event, I have personally spoken to the entire Bar management and team and am confident that any service failure you have may experienced was an isolated event. We do strive to exceed your expectations as we are to serve.

Thank you for your attention. I remain at your service.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

This hotel was part of a Package deal, so we were not expecting luxury, however the experience was disappointing.My first objection is the need to give over a payment in case I may buy (or something ??) whilst there, despite having had my prepaid booking for ages. I was assured the payment would not be taken, as I checked out - a matter of trust !!. Many hotels don't do it, so why here. Secondly the room was small, impossible to use the toilet at night, the light, door handle and ventilator all causing disturbance. The kettle plug couldn't be put in without moving out the chest of drawers. The breakfast was good, however it is the first time since my Russian trips that I ever queued for breakfast and waited so long for the tea or coffee.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Isobel13
Meath, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

Prior to staying here, I had a few concerns after reading a number of the recent reviews. I needn't have worried at all. The hotel is in a Perfect location to the tube to Victoria - about 2 minute walk. The room was clean/cosy and perfect if all you are doing is using it as a base while in London. We literally used it for B&B and showers.
I have to say, I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Psycho-sue
Kingston, Saint Andrew, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

Service was excellent,the staff were very accommodating. We had a great time would definitely recommend to family and friends. Great location, hotel is centrally located which made it very easy to get around.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Julissa H
wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed here in Sept 2012,, it is in a great location for The Royal Albert hall,,
Where as the reception area is really lovely the room we stayed in was a bit shabby to be fair, the carpet was old and worn, the room itself was tiny, the bathroom wasn't up to scratch either, chips in bath, rusty taps for shower.. the bed was tiny for a double and pushed up against the window so I had to climb over to get in,, it was also sagging in middle so my husband and kept sliding towards the middle,,, we were in room 153,,, first floor,
Not sure if they have got around to refurbishing that floor yet,,
It costs £33 to park the car for 18hrs,, which I think is a bit steep,
Bar shuts at 12 midnight and no coaxing will get you served after last orders, 3 small bowls of crisps in bar cost £9,,,
Cannot comment on breakfast as we choose to eat in the city,,,

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank fairydustWales
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

This hotel is very nice for a 4 star hotel. Staff is very helpful and friendly. Also the location is good. Rooms are not so big and when you have a room on the first floor you could see trash thrown on the roof outside the window. the swimming pool is nice but you shouldn't pay for the swimming pool as it's part of the hotel itself.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends