“Lovely hotel but extra charges disgusting”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington
Ranked #620 of 1,089 Hotels in London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

we were down for a family wedding some of us stayed two nights and some stayed four last weekend. Hotel was excellent rooms very good breakfast buffet one of the best I have had everthing was so fresh . Will come back again !!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lollipop1155
kenclose, Group Operations Director at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Dear Lollipop1155,

I am delighted to hear that you and your group enjoyed your recent stay at the Kensington Close Hotel in celebration of a family wedding. We take great pride in our breakfast service and I am pleased to hear that you all enjoyed it immensely. We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Why do hotels in the UK still insist on charging or internet access?!!

The location of this hotel is reasonably good for the west side of London with convenient transport access. The hotel creates a good impression at reception but the rooms are small even by London standards, though clean. The carpet in the room was threadbare in places, there was evidence of refurbishment but it still looked a bit shabby and dated. I had a standard double room which was cramped with just about enough room to get past the sliding door into the bathroom, which was at an angle and virtually in contact with the bed. There was no hot water one morning. Breakfast was an adequate buffet however the food was not hot. Overall I would say that 'average' is the best way to describe my experience at this hotel and I can't understand why it has four stars.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Lanerope
Dear Lanerope,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that although you were pleased with our convenient location, you did not enjoy an overall pleasant stay with us at the Kensington Close Hotel. As you noted, certain areas of the hotel have undergone renovation as part of last year’s major refurbishment project. Works included the revamping of our reception, lobby and bar area and over 200 guestrooms. I am pleased to confirm that we are once again undergoing a large (soft) renovation focusing on the remaining public areas of the hotel and the guestrooms. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced with the lack of hot water as well as your complaint regarding our breakfast service. If you would be so kind to email me directly at zs@kensingtonclosehotel.com and provide me with further details of your stay I would be happy to look into the all the mentioned issues.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

I had such a lovely time staying at this hotel in London. It is so close to the tube station (High Street Kensington) so within minutes my colleague and I had successfully located the hotel. The concierge were so pleasent and carried our luggage in for us.

The room I was staying in was lovely - it was quite small but this is to be expected in central London. The bathroom was divine - no bath, just a shower but I wasn't too bothered by this.

I found that the staff at the hotel really made a difference to my stay. One night I was at the bar and the bar man suggested different drinks that would cater to my dietary requirements (I have an allergy to citrus fruit) - he even gave me a free one to try.

Breakfast was amazing and really worth paying a bit extra for. Overall my stay was superb and I would highly recommend it. My only issue is that I did not have time to try out the leisure facilities.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Frankie W,

Thank you choosing the Kensington Close Hotel and for taking the time to provide us with this very kind review on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed a pleasant stay, noting that our accommodation, ideal location and excellent guest services exceeded your expectations. I am also pleased that you were able to experience our excelled customer service first hand, such as your positive experience when ordering a beverage from our bar as your dietary needs were considered and met with care.

I do hope on your next visit you will have the time and opportunity to enjoy our eMotion health and leisure center.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Loughborough, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

This was our first stay at this hotel, it was my birthday and my husband booked 2 nights stay for us with breakfast. The hotel is very accessible and is only about 100 yards from the tube on foot, cut through boots to save more time.

As the other reviews all say the reception of the hotel is impressive, a vast area with seating and bar area. We didn't use the bar during our stay. Check in was quick and easy, we were told we were being upgraded to an executive room as they had no standard rooms available, I was pleased about this as having read the reviews I was nervous about what the room would be like. Our room was on the 4th floor, it was small but clean. The room had flat screen tv, tea and coffee making facilities, wardrobe and tall cupboard. The bed was comfy, big and had clean linen. The bathroom was small but adequate with toilet, basin and shower. The shower was not a power shower but we always had hot water, there were complimentary toiletries too. There was also a hair drier and electronic safe in the room.

Their was no iron or board so we rang reception who told us housekeeping would bring one up right away. We were going to see a show so were on a time limit to get ready. After waiting 20-30 minutes still no iron or board so we had to get ready without these and leave so we got to the theatre on time. On our return to our room at around 11.30pm the ironing board and iron were in there waiting for us, too little too late!!

The room had air conditioning but the room was cold, especially when coming in after being out all day and overnight. I ended up using the hairdryer to warm the bed! We fiddled around with the air con but couldn't seem to get the room warm, we didn't contact reception about this as after a long day and evening out all we wanted to do was sleep and after waiting so long for the ironing board we didn't want to be sat half the night waiting for someone to come and look at it. Slept well both nights Once got warm, although I did have a little back ache possibly because I have a firmer bed at home.

Breakfast is served between 6.00am-10.00am in the main dining room through the reception area. We were shown to our table and drinks order taken. Breakfast is all buffet, there is a cereal section with about 6 different cereals, there were mini croissants and pan au chocolate, fruit juice - apple and orange and a hot buffet of fried egg, scrambled egg, sausage, beans, mushrooms, hash browns and bacon. The breakfast was a big disappointment. Both mornings it appeared to be undercooked - runny scrambled egg, slimy runny fried egg, thick greasy hard inside hash browns, sausages that were pink inside and cold beans. Whether it was poor quality or just undercooked I'm not sure but the chef both mornings didn't look like he could of cared less.

The staff overall were friendly and polite. During breakfast there was a gentleman who may have been the restaurant manager, he wore a suit, he cared about his job and ensuring standards were maintained. He was always busy around the restaurant checking up on the staff and I heard him reprimanding one of the staff too. Some of the restaurant staff on the other hand didn't seem to care at all about the customers and because I wasn't eating much it gave me time to people watch! There wasn't much staff to customer interaction and every time anyone asked for something it appeared to be an inconvenience. Restaurant staff seemed too busy talking in their own language with each other and one waiter spent most of his time messing around with napkins and grabbing at the female waitresses instead of being attentive to the guests. Maybe staff morale is low or the staff employed just don't want to be there but I think there needs to be improvements in order for this hotel to be considered a four star hotel. Location and price were good and facilities were adequate but don't think I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah S
Dear Sarah S,

Thank you for providing a detailed review on your recent stay at the Kensington Close Hotel in celebration of your birthday. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy an overall pleasant stay with us, noting that you experienced some issues with our valley, breakfast service and heating.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in delivering the request iron and ironing board- I have contact all relevant departments to ensure that these are made promptly as to avoid like issues in the future. Secondly, I am sorry to hear that you experienced some issues with the in-room heating and as it was late you did not ring reception to have our maintenance team resolve the issue. I would like to assure you that this is an isolated issue, once one our maintenance team is always on stand by to resolve in a quick and timely manner.

I understand you have mixed feelings in regards to our breakfast, for although it offered a large selection of hot and cold foods you did not particularly enjoy it. Moreover, you noted that our restaurant manager was quite diligent in overseeing that breakfast service went smoothly, however you did not feel all the staff members proved the same enthusiasm and professionalism. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I can assure you that I will communicate this to all relevant departments and ensure that re-training is initiated so that our excellent customer service is consistent throughout.

I am however pleased that you enjoyed our accommodation, customer service and ideal location in the heart of Kensington- moment from the high street and tube.

I do hope you will consider revisiting the Kensington Close Hotel, allowing us to change your opinion of us. Should you decide to, or wish to discuss the above issues in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly at zs@kensingtonclosehotel.com

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in March 2013. The hotel is just around the corner from High Street Kensington tube station. The room we had was very small and noisy but I think most room in the hotel will be the same as the room and corridor door slam closed. shower was a nightmare to operate you either got a cold drip or a hot jet wash, heard other guests complaining of no hot water in their room. Breakfast was just ok nothing special. Overall hotel is a 3 star not 4 so don't expect to much.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank NeptuneTraveller
Dear NeptuneTraveller,

Thank you for feedback. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on your recent stay at the Kensington Close Hotel, noting that you experienced issues with the shower, noise levels emitting from the corridor and that you did not enjoy our breakfast service. Thank you for bringing all these to my attention and if you would be so kind to contact me directly at zs@kensingtonclosehotel.com providing me with further details of your stay I would like to personally investigate them to prevent them from reoccurring. Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.

Athens, Greece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I and my wife are totally disappointed from our stay at this hotel.As doctors we have visited many hotels all over the world and havenot met such conditions.Below I explain what I mean:
First of all the rooms were TOO SMALL!We had the impression that we were staying at a ship room and not in a hotel!In order to step from one side of the bed to the other we had to jump over the bed!I understand of the need of a company to make profit from tourists but some things must be preserved and cared,especially in a central location of London.Otherwise we find it more honest to reserve a room at a ship located by Thames River(it would probably be of the same size!)
Moreover,for use of WIFI internet access the charge was rather expensive(9 pounds per day!!)and there is no free WIFI access at public hotel areas.In a recalled 4-star hotel is strange how a resident cannot find free WIFI and he has to pay,that I call it unacceptable.
Furthermore,we were charged 1 pound per luggage in order to store them after checkout for 3 hours till the departure of our bus!!I gave 4 pounds without a receipt and without an explanation why this universally unmet condition happens!It is a hotel's obligation to help store the bags of its residents,or not?Or it is a mean of making money untrustfully and illegally?
Additionally,the bed was for a man of 1,6 m height I assume!I am 1.75 metres tall and laid down my feet were hanging off from the bed!I am afraid to think what would happen if I were taller,for example 1.9 metres tall!I havent noticed somewhere a notification that your exceptional 4-star hotel is exclusively for dwarfs,isnt't it?
In conclusion,we met things that we were unable to accept and we find that the 200 pounds per day charge that you state is unjustified and unreasonable for the services you provide.
Perhaps it was a mistake not to visit tripadvisor and booking.com and read all the comments here.But surely someone must update these sites with all these helpful informations.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ioannis P
Dear Ioannis P,

I am very sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on your recent stay at the Kensington Close Hotel, noting that you found the rooms and beds too small and the additional charges of wifi and luggage storage unacceptable.

In regards to the size of our (standard) rooms and beds, these are both consistent with the neighboring hotel in the local area of Kensington and central London. We do however offer our guests several room categories that provide for additional comfort and storage such as our Superior and Executive Club rooms.

I do apologize that you were unaware that as an independent hotel we charge a fee of £9/ 24 hours for our wifi-service. This service is available in all public areas as well as guestrooms. Moreover, we find the fef of £1/item fee for storing luggage for guests who wish to do so before or after check-out both reasonable and necessary due to the size of our property as to avoid the over-crowding of our storage space. However, please do accept my apologies for these inconveniences.

I wish to conclude by thanking you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay with us, and express my disappointed for not having enjoyed your visit. If you would like to discuss the above issues in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly at zs@kensingtonclosehotel.com

Kind regards
Group Operations Director

Travellers are raving about these London hotels