“"Dont even think about staying here"”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #606 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 June 2013

After staying here with friends for a long weekend we were more than dissappointed we were disgusted at this hotel .Staff were incredibly rude,rooms were dirty,so much so that black mould was running from the wall of our bathroom when I took a shower (UGH!!).The sink looked as though it had been repaired on several occassions and was a filthy brown colour.The room was small,very dated and the beds were something you would expect in a non rated hotel,this is certainly not a 4 star hotel by any means.Checking in seemed like we were dealing with unproffesional staff and really they didn't care,it took us an hour before we finally got to our rooms.Never ever will I stay here again nor would I even consider to mention this hotels name to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank friday55scotland
Paul Q, Head Concierge & Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Dear Friday55scotland,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We value all feedback whether it is positive or constructive. It is through such communication that we are given an opportunity to evaluate our performance, and focus on the areas that need to be addressed, ensuring we deliver the standard of service that our guests have come to expect from us.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night while touring London. Location is great - walking distance to Kensington Gardens / Hyde Park (5-10 minute walk), Natural History Museum (about 20 minute walk) and Science Museum, etc. I found the hotel itself to be nothing special. The lobby was the nicest part. The room was small, the bed way too springy (almost like sleeping on a trampoline), my bed even had a sizeable hole in the side of the mattress (!), paper-thin walls, and bed covers that barely covered the bed. At one point a hotel staff member came right into my room (using her key) thinking the room was empty - didn't even knock!. She did apologize, but good thing I was fully clothed. The shower knobs were incredibly hard to turn - I eventually had to call reception to figure it out. The staff in the lobby did generally seem very friendly and helpful. I wanted to voice my complaints upon checkout but the queue for checkout was so long, it didn't seem worth it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DRBTravels

Dear Drbtravels,

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I recently stayed here for 10 days while on a business trip and though I really want to give this hotel a better rating; I just can't. First the good: the staff was really nice and tried to be accommodating most of the time albeit a little clueless sometimes. I stayed in a "Club Room" which I think had a bit more space than some of the rooms on lower floors. The windows in the room opened which was a bonus as I rarely find that in my travels. Breakfast was included in my room price but it was the same thing ever day. It wasn't great but it was decent: eggs (scrambled and sunny-side up), bacon, hash brown potatoes, beans, grilled tomatoes, sausage, mushrooms, some fruit (mostly canned), yogurt, cereal selection, juice, variety of bread and rolls, croissants and chocolate croissants. The location is pretty decent as it's around the corner from the Kensington tube stop and there are plenty of restaurants to choose from for dinner. Now for the bad. First off, the elevators. They don't nearly have enough for the number of guests they have staying at their hotel. They have two older ones and one newer one off to the side. For 8 floors of guests with at least 35 rooms on each floor, it can definitely be a test of your patience. There are two additional elevators located all the way in the back of the hotel but they are rather awkward as you have to go through the entire restaurant to get to them. Second, the thermostat in my room. No matter what temperature I would set it at before going to bed, it would switch to the preset temperature of 25C. I woke up every night around 3am drenched in sweat. Third, there was a lack of storage space in my room. For whatever reason, my room did not have a dresser, armoire or any shelves to put away my things. There was a "closet" with a half dozen hangars but, for someone on a 10 day business trip, that was not sufficient. Fourth, the hair dryer. The hair dryer was plugged in under and attached to a desk. That would have been fine had the cord been nearly long enough. I had to do some interesting contortions in order to fully dry my hair. Fifth, the TV in my room. It worked fine for a couple days but then one day it would not turn on. I asked reception to send someone to fix it and they did. I came back, turned it on and it worked but it was a one shot deal. If I shut it off and tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't work. I asked reception to send someone to fix it for 4 consecutive days until I got tired of constantly having to ask to have it fixed. It wouldn't have been so bad except the TV also had the alarm. No TV, no alarm. Which brings me to my next point: the wake up call. Since I wasn't able to set the alarm on the TV, I called down to reception to ask for a wake up call. They took my room number and time and said it was set. I luckily woke up early that morning due to the ridiculous temperature in my room because they never called. If I was on vacation, it would have been one thing but I was there for work and had an early morning conference call which I could not have missed. I find that totally unacceptable. Which brings be to the coup de grace: the fire alarm. One morning, as I'm getting ready, the fire alarm goes off. I peak my head out the door and don't see anyone moving nor is there any sort of announcement so I go back in my room and call reception...no answer. After about 5 minutes, it turns off. Two minutes later, it goes back on for a couple minutes and then off. And then on again and then off again. This happens, I kid you not, at least a dozen times. All the while, I call down to reception to see what is going on and, shockingly, no answer. I call 3 or 4 times and let it ring until it cuts off and no one ever picks up. There's no announcement, no call, no communication whatsoever to tell me that the hotel is not burning down. Again, totally unacceptable. There are a couple more things on my list of annoyances but I think I've gotten my point across. It's so sad because I think this has the potential to be a decent hotel

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RB78

Dear R878,

I was very sorry to hear your stay with us was not up to your expectations. I will admit that some of the points you raised were indeed quite concerning and I have shared them with the rest of the Executive team for their consideration as well.

I do hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back with us and provide you with a memorable experience. As you pointed out yourself, the hotel does sit in an amazing location and has the potential to offer guests visiting London an amazing experience.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

6 girls stayed for a girlie weekend, on arrival the rooms weren't ready so we left to explore the capital, on return (10,30 pm) 1of our rooms wasn't ready and took 45 mins to check in, we had 3 rooms costing £120 per room, room only , when my friend went to hir room she walked in to find a couple sleeping in her bed, took another 30 mins to sort that out, resulting in it being past midnight when we got upstairs, rooms are all tiny and in serious need of a good clean and refresh, the bath tap came away in my friends hand and toilet roll holder was hanging of in my room, the reception staff were nice enough but pretty clueless , we received a breakfast in a way of apology for all that was wrong but it was cold and the waiter not at all friendly, only good thing about this hotel is one of the doormen, he was lovely friendly and so helpful totally waisted on this hotel

Room Tip: The room on a higher floor was slightly better than the rest
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lolly41

Dear Lolly41,

I was very sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience when trying to check in. I have passed on your comments to our Front Office Manager and our Head Housekeeper to investigate and ensure that a similar occurrence does not repeat itself in the future.

Please accept my sincere apologies for letting you and your friends down on this occasion. I do hope however you will give us another chance in the future to prove that this was a one-off incident and provide you with a truly memorable experience. You may contact me directly at concierge@kensingtonclosehotel.com should you decide to book with us again and I shall take personal care of your booking.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

When we came to check in I approached the desk. None of the 5 people behind desk acknowledged us. I said we wanted to check in. Response was 'sorry you can't. System is down.' I asked how long they see this an issue. Her response 'I don't know.' And that was it. There was no alternative given, no offer to take our bags and take a seat at the bar whilst they sort things out. Just rude and unprofessional.
The rooms were very average, don't let the pictures of the bar and foyer deceive you.
In the morning the elevators where an absolute nightmare. Took us over twenty minutes fom the second floor which we then had to take the stairs with our luggage.
Couldn't check out as there we heaps of people in queue and 1 person serving. We left, came back at 3 to check out and still waited 15 minutes.
Luggage storage was 1 pound per item- ridiculous. I'm often in hotels for work and pleasure and have never been charged storage.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kasiatom
Paul Q, Head Concierge & Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

Dear Kasiatom,

I was very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience checking in. I have passed on your comments to our Front Office Manager to investigate.

I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you back to Kensington Close Hotel and Spa on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

Stayed her recently and staff are friendly but the hotel is hopelessly inefficient - it took about 25 minutes to check in and there was only about 3 people in front of me! Room on 5th floor not very good especially as they were decorating that floor and the smell of paint was everywhere! Breakfast was a disappointment - if you are employing a chef to fry eggs to order make sure you get one who doesn't break them!! It took about 4 requests to get a set of cutlery and a cup of coffee...... Hotel was full of overseas tourists and it is disappointing that they see our hospitality in a poor light....

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank willnigel

Dear Willnigel,

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Having recently spent time in over 20 hotels in Europe and the UK while touring with my wife, I can state confidently that we have not seen a more friendly and conscientious staff than those working at Kensington Close. From the moment we were greeted by a smiling porter at the front door through until breakfast where the team do so well to manage the large numbers, all was most impressive. I had read some mixed reviews of the hotel, and as last night was the first of seven we are staying here, I was anxious about how our stay would be. Any concerns were quickly alleviated. in terms of value for money, location and service, I could not recommend this hotel more highly.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Paul Q, Head Concierge & Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Dear Ken M,

thank you for choosing the Kensington Close Hotel and Spa and for providing us with feedback on your recent visit to London.

I am pleased that you found your stay with us good value for money, and that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations minutes from the Tube station and Kensington High Street with all of its shops and restaurants. I was also delighted to hear your impressions about the efficiency and friendliness of our staff.

Paul Q