“Fair for what you pay”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #604 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as I was part if a COSMOS TOUR. Positives: polite staff, good location for shopping and eating, nice and clean. Negatives: very small room, pay for WIFI, cleaning lady opened the door to the room so put the DO NOT DISTURB sign

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Lupita B
Laszlo N, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Dear Lupita B,

thank you very much for your constructive feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Kensington Close Hotel. I was pleased to hear that you were happy with the service provided by our staff and that you took advantage of our most convenient location, with such close proximity to High Street Kensington with all its shops, cafes and restaurants.
With regards to your room size, we offer a large variety of rooms, with different sizes and amenities inside, to accommodate the various budgets and needs of our guests accordingly. WiFi is actually chargeable in most London hotels and as a matter of fact, our rate of £9.95 for 24 hours is relatively low compared to the prices charges by other properties of similar style to ours. At this point, I was also like to offer my apologies for the disturbance caused by the maid you came to clean your room. I have passed on this comment to our Head Housekeeper for her consideration.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised.
I booked it because it was cheap.... and that has only made a good experience better!
It is what it is, a big 700 bedroom faceless hotel catering for the tourist market.
You are not going to get very personal service but it did everything I want from a quick nights stay in Central London.
Room was good, very clean, recently refurbished I reckon. Huge towel, functional bathroom, good TV/radio, plug sockets in just right place for charging everything needed (amazing how many hotels don't have sockets that are reachable).
Air con worked as good as any hotel I have stayed in.
One lift was out of order but only while I was there & didn't cause too much grief.
Check in good.
Fantastic value!
It has a spa but I didn't venture there!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank arthurh

Dear Arthurh,

thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Kensington Close Hotel. I was very pleased to hear that you were happy with the room you were allocated and all in all, you had a pleasant experience staying with us. I sincerely hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed here as it it the Cosmos hotel and I was touring with them. The reception staff were unfriendly and unwelcoming and when I went up to my room, the key card did not work and I had to lug all my luggage back down again to get it re-activated. The same thing happened to about half of the people on my tour. The staff treated me like this was my fault. The only friendly staff member I encountered was the doorman! The single rooms are tiny dog-boxes! The cleaning staff entered my room without knocking on the morning I was checking out. My room wasn't cleaned until 4pm during a 2 night stay. They don't leave enough toilet paper! There was a very noisy group of people congregating in the hall at night and when i phoned reception to see if they could do anything about it, they just didnt answer the phone. The location of this hotel is good, but my overall experience was not great so I wouldn't chose to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Leanne C

Dear Leanne C,

I was very concerned with your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Kensington Close Hotel and I would like to offer my sincere apologies if your stay was not up to your expectations. I have passed on your comments to the relevant heads of departments to investigate further. I am truly sorry that on this occasion we failed to make a positive impact on your stay and provide you with the excellent service that we strive to offer to all our guests.

Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

The bar and communal areas were really nice but very disappointed in the bedrooms! they were very small and the view from the room wasn't pleasant, requested a change which they did but still not a good standard for the price you pay. Transport links were good!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Tracey K

Dear Tracey K,

thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Kensington Close Hotel. As you know, our property has a very large number of rooms (708 in total), and therefore we offer a wide variety of room types with different sizes and amenities inside, to accommodate our various guests' budgets. I am sorry that despite the fact you did request a room move, you were still not happy with the style of the room, as it is understandable that individual tastes do vary.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

What can I say, after reading mixed reviews on this site, I was quite apprehensive about booking but I am glad I did. To start with the room - we stayed in superior room 1009 - was a great size for the two of us with a very comfortable bed and nice seating area with TV with more than enough channels and a full host of movies etc. The room also fetured the full bath and shower combination which was great. The interior of the hotel was lovely with a recent renovation meaning the lounge was beautiful with many compaines booking into the many meeting areas avalible. Also I felt that people who said about not enough lifts was rubbish as there was many lifts in the bulding. Also we heard no noice during the evening of any consturuction etc. We went for a theatre trip for 4 nights and could not fault this hotel and could even be a five star hotel with the quality if offered and also the concierge team were outstanding!!

Room Tip: Room 1009 is Great!!! Very Good size and up to date!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Deborah T,

I was very pleased to hear your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. It was nice to know how pleased you were with the size and style of our Superior Room and that our Concierge team made such a good impression to you as well. I sincerely hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband surprised me for my 40th to a show and a stay overnight in London. Hotel looks nice on first impressions but room was very average. It was meant to be a superior room which is a bit of a joke. Bathroom was in need of a good clean and updating. Room very small. Charging extra for breakfast is really cheeky too when you are already paying a lot for the room. Central London!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank PJ H
Laszlo N, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear PJ H,

I was happy to hear that you chose to stay in our hotel on such a special occasion. I'm sorry that you weren't completely satisfied with your room however as we have such a large property, we do offer a wide variety of room types in terms of size and amenities, from Superiors Doubles to Executive Cub Rooms, to accommodate different guest budgets. Our full English breakfast buffet is priced at £15 per person and guests can either book it in advance as part of their room rate or pay separately when they check out. In any case, our prices are pretty much in par with most hotels in Central London.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I can't speak about any other room but stay away from any of the rooms that go into the thousands. For example 4th Floor room 4001-4020. Rooms seem the same build as the 5th floor.

These rooms are build like a shack. You can hear the every time opens and closes the door and they always seem to slam shut be default !! Waking you up if your early to bed and some one comes back around 10-11pm.

Also you can hear all sorts of bangs and stuff dropping.

Room is like an office cubicle and the bathrooms are also small, but usable.

Other than that staff are friendly and nice.

I'm sure there are better rooms just letting people know what to expect for the rooms ending in the thousand range

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Cid R

Dear Cid R,

thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was sorry to hear that you were frequently disturbed by other guests slamming their doors while going in & out of their rooms. We have a large property with an average of over 1000 people staying in house every day and unfortunately we cannot monitor the behavior of every single one. However, if you had mentioned this to our Reception team, I'm sure they would have been able to accommodate you on a different floor. Regarding the room size, we do have a wide variety of room types to accommodate different budgets. If I may suggest, in the future you could perhaps book one of our Suites that offer much larger space in addition to some other amenities, not available in our Standard Rooms.