Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #610 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Rooms were so small could hardly both get in at the same time. Bathrooms dated. Staff were courteous. Location is ideal right next to Kensington high street tube station. V expensive for the standard of room received. Next time we will return to the copthorne Tara next door which is much more modern and far better value for money

• Stayed: October 2013
Laszlo N, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear DevonUKWestcountry,

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street

Reviewed 3 November 2013

London is such a big, busy bustling so for me getting the right hotel was really important. We hit on this hotel through Tripadvisor and I have to say it made our break in London all the more enjoyable. As you leave Kensington High Street tube station exit left and take the immediate left and facing you about four hundred yards down the road is the Kensington Close Hotel. It is a very big hotel and as you enter through the revolving doors you are greeted by three reception desks and a prompt service. I think there are eight floors and three very slow and very small elevators. The rooms on the sixth floor are tiny! Probably the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. A tv on the wall two single beds and a small table make up the room. The bathroom is even smaller with no where to put your toliiteries. The toilet is situated in a very tight corner where you almost have to come out of in order to turn around! So why am I giving it a four? Well it is a lovely hotel in a fabulous location and we really didn't spend much time in the room so it did not take away from our stay. We did not eat at the hotel as breakfast for one adult and one child was £32 (nearly €40!) so we went across the road to a tea shop called The Muffin Man which is really, really nice and had English muffins and scrambled eggs, freshly squeezed orange juice, apple juice, toast and real tea for £15 for the two of us. As I said a really nice place and with lovely fresh food and half the price of the hotels breakfast. This hotel is an ideal four star base to see the fabulous city of London. Don't let he size of the rooms put you off because the Kensington (is) Close to everything!

Room Tip: Some rooms have a small double bed with only half a headboard so don't be afraid to bring this t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dublin_Family2010

Dear Dublin_Family2010,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear how happy you were with your room and the service provided by our staff. I sincerely hope that following your positive first impressions, we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back with us in the near future!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Booked a one night stay here on a business/leisure trip. Our room was tiny, dirty, the heating didn't work, smelt of stale smoke and desperately needed a refurb! We were moved to another room due to the heating issue - this was equally tiny and was more desperate for a refurb than the first room!
But we only needed to sleep so we did not let it spoil our stay
We will not be recommending or returning here - a shame as the location is fab!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Laszlo N, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Dear LouLou73,

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Had booked a room for one night as some friends were staying from North America..On arrival tried to contact my friends but reception staff said they were unable to find out who they were. This was partly due to a not perfect command of English and partly because they could not comprehend that it was a husband and wife I was looking for. Anyway for 2 hours I kept contacting Reception to discover if my friends had returned, language was a problem and on one occasion I was put through to a man's room who was Middle Eastern and had to apologise for disturbing him.
Eventually I received a call from my friends who it appeared had left a message for me at Reception saying they would be late. No message and no apology. Not particularly competent.

Then for breakfast I was sent the incorrect items ordered one of which I was allergic to. Fortunately I realised there was something wrong before sampling the breakfast. I did eventually manage to speak to the Duty Manager who apologised and said nothing should be substituted without the guest's knowledge and in fact really they should not run out of items offered on the menu as standard. He did deduct the breakfast from my bill and apologise. I just hope they are more careful regarding food requests.

Overall the room was clean and ok for one night but in general not overly impressed for the star rating. Lifts atrocious for the amount of service they see, waiting times not acceptable. Also, if using international staff because of clientele it would help if they spoke and understood English better since it's based in London UK. In this day and age I do not expect purely British staff but I do expect the staff to be able to speak English as well as any other language.

Room Tip: Lower floors if able to walk as lifts slow to disastrous. Not a good example of star rating.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear MorganLondon,

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Let's start by saying I'll probably stay here again when I need to be in Kensington next year. It's a good enough place to stay, but not a destination in its own right. We booked here based on the recommendation of a friend. After reading a few negative reviews on Tripadvisor, I found myself asking "just what do people expect at this price in Kensington?" But somehow I still expected more and after 2 nights I was asking myself the same question. There are some genuine disabled access issues which I'll detail at the end, but otherwise this is a workaday 4 star hotel. Service was usually good, and there was very little to complain about, but very little to get excited about either. It's a hotel, not a resort.

Our first impression was not good.

Whilst I was paying the taxi driver, despite requests from both of us to take the bags and leave me with the wheelchair, the doorman whisked my wife away like a supermarket trolley full of groceries. We frequently meet this overenthusiastic help at hotel entrances, not just at KCH. Staff training needed?

There was a short queue at reception. No problem in itself, but why were there so many staff behind reception apparently busy with other tasks? If you're not available to help guests don't hang around behind reception. We find it annoying - don't you have an office?

As we were early ,1400, we were asked to wait just 20 mins while the room was prepared. Bonus point for service there. We had a coffee in the lobby cafe while we waited - paper cups - points lost.

Our bags magically arrived in the room before we did. Another bonus point.

We had an executive room - nothing smaller would be wheelchair accessible. I see that other people have complained about small rooms. Well this is Kensington. Look in the estate agents windows, and you'll get an idea of how much every square meter needs to return before before you start to pay the hotel running costs. You need to have realistic expectations - check the website.

The website says that the hotel has been renovated. I believe this, but the style, both in the room and public areas, is uninspiring and reminiscent of the 1980's - maybe that's just my personal taste.

Ditto, the renovated pool and spa area. Good enough, but far from luxurious. I won't dispute the website claim for the largest pool in Kensington, but it's not enormous. I know a bigger one nearby, but technically that may be just across the border in Westminster.

There was no hotel guide or restaurant menu in the room, and the TV info system wasn't working. I thought I'd try the hotel website for information, but found KCH is one of the few that still charge for wifi. As a result we didn't even consider eating in the restaurant - I'm not even sure there is one.

The room walls must be rather thin. We clearly heard conversation from the next room, and there was a lot of noise from other parts of the hotel during the night. The bed was very comfortable however, and the aircon works.

Throughout our stay we found the staff were not just polite, but genuinely keen to help, so top marks there.

As I said at the start I'm coming back to Kensington next year. I could pay more to get the facilities and room I want in the Kensington area. Or I could get more for the same money in another part of London and commute by taxi. But probably I'll come back to Kensington Close.

Now for the wheelchair users comments:-

The overenthusiastic help at the door has already been mentioned.

Wheelchair access via a fire exit at the side seems a bit of an afterthought, but is better than many hotels.

The wheelchair lift down to the main public area is convenient and safe with "press and hold" buttons. This is modern best available equipment.

The en-suite wet room (room 432) was well equipped and laid out, but seemed to lack adequate ventilation, remaining damp, and dare I say a bit smelly.

Another common problem with "Accesible Rooms" - the mirrors were all too high for my wife to use the hairdryer or do make-up whilst sat in the wheelchair.

The main lifts were all a bit tight for wheelchair plus one person, and we've never previously encountered a lift as small as the one down to the pool. We had to remove the footplates from the wheelchair to get the lift doors closed.

There is no unisex changing room at the pool, or unisex disabled toilet in the public area, so it is not possible for a person of the opposite sex to assist the disabled person.

From a wheelchair users perspective, KCH is below par, but workable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Nottoogrumpy,

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on business, I was allocated a room with a single bed but asked at check in if I could have a double bed- no luck. The single rooms are really small but comfortable but the bathrooms are a joke, you have to walk sideways in them! I was in 1015 and was woken up repeatedly through the night by doors constantly opening and closing either immediately above it below me- clearly some sort of staff thoroughfare. Consequently I only managed around 3-4 hours sleep!

The breakfast was very good with quality ingredients, good service and plenty of choice. The public areas of this hotel are very nice and well designed, the location is great with High St Kensington tube about a 5 min walk away. Service at check in and out was swift, although a "how was your stay?" would have been nice. Bedrooms...disappointingly small but as work paid I wasn't too bothered but doubt I'd pay to stay here on a weekend break.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank northlad78

Dear Northlad78,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good night's sleep due to people banging doors outside your room. I was glad at least to heat that you were satisfied with the quality of food and service at our Restaurant.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

The reception and guest areas are modern and comfortable but the rooms leave much to be desired. Hotel rooms are small and the bathrooms even smaller - only room for slender people. Bring your own mattress with because the one I had to sleep on was worn through, so were the pillows which were very soft and worn!
Coffee maker, flat screen TV of medium size, Safe large enough for a Laptop, garment Press and small desk are included in the room fixtures and fittings. However the TV only offers the local programs free and a Movie Channel for a fee. The Wifi speed is okay but you have to pay extra per 24 hours to access the service.Rooms have air conditioning but the bathroom is only served bu an Airflow system so after every shower, the bathroom mirror is fogged up and everything is damp. Reception Staff are friendly but the checking in process time consuming. All other staff were very friendly but some had difficulty understanding English ?

Room Tip: I had a standard room so maybe the next category may be bigger and better.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear JohannesDavid,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We value all feedback whether it is positive or constructive. It is through such communication that we are given an opportunity to evaluate our performance, and focus on the areas that need to be addressed, ensuring we deliver the standard of service that our guests have come to expect from us. Regarding the size of your room, we do offer a variety of room types with different sizes and styles to accommodate the tastes and budgets of different guests. If space is so important to you, may I suggest in the future that you book one of our Executive Club Rooms or Suites where you may feel a lot more comfortable.