“Kensington Close - Functional budget room, lovely location”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #595 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My good lady booked this hotel based on two key elements, price and on site gym. Unfortunately she didn't look carefully enough to realise the gym incurred an £8 charge per day. The first London hotel I have experienced this surcharge, hence not checking the details of the T&C's. For this reason alone I will not stay here again, similar options are available with free gym use,

The hotel is in a lovely location and only a 15 minute tube journey from central London. The entrance is grand, clean and welcoming, all staff seemed ultra friendly and helpful.

My room on the 6th floor was 'compact' but very clean and obviously recently renovated. The compact nature of the room meant every time I opened the wardrobe door in collided with the door closing mechanism. The bathroom was lovely but.. the sink would have been more appropriate in a dolls house, probably 12cm x 20cm, it was usable, just. The main component letting down the room was the lack of hot water for a bath. The water wasn't cold, but not warm enough for a nice soak. Surely the limited water temperature is limited to the budget rooms, I would be furious if paying for a nice room and only having tepid bath water.

This review applies to the budget rooms, which are definitely NOT 4*, maybe the full priced rooms are a different proposition, I will never find out!

It seems like the hotel is neither one thing or the other, not a budget hotel per se, and from what I have seen definitely not 4*.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Laszlo N, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I take your point about the charge for use of the gym. It is in fact a charge to use the whole of the luxurious spa area – which includes not just the very well equipped gym but also sauna, steam room and one of the biggest hotel swimming pools in London and lasts all day.

You are right in surmising that we have a range of rooms from Standard level to larger Executive rooms. Our lower priced rooms do give guests with a smaller budget the opportunity to stay in a good quality hotel in a superb position in central London. Hot water is not reserved for some rooms over others so there must have been a fault. I would be very grateful if you could email my duty managers on duty.manager@kensingtonclosehotel.com with your room number so we can check it out. Thank you.

Laszlo Nyari

Write a ReviewReviews (4,333)

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed here for 1 night. All 3 rooms looked to have been recently updated except for the bathrooms which badly need renovating. 2 of the rooms were fine but the 3rd double was so small the bed was up against the window so you could only get in from one side by climbing over the other person... Not what I would call a double room at all.
The bar and reception are nice but as we did not pay the extra for the breakfast I could not comment on it.
I was disappointed by the person who answered my phone call the day after when I called to see if they had found my shawl in the bar where I left it to be told (very curtly) No and then put the phone down!
Overall not bad but would not recommend as there are better in the area

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Our room was small but confortable. The bathroom strongly needs to be renovate to correspond to the international standards of a 4-stars hotel. The breakfast corresponds at the level requested. The staff was very professional and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Laszlo N, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments about our hotel and staff. They are very much appreciated.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Its a huge business hotel, full of people and very impersonal, the staff is unfriendly and arrogant and just dont care about with you. Bedrooms are bad and tiny and extras are all chargeable: internet, breakfast, even a plug adpator has a rental cost ?!.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Nun0Dias

Dear Guest,

It is certainly true that we are a large hotel and cater for business as well as leisure guests but I was dismayed to read how poorly you rated your experience at our hotel and your description of my staff.

We have a variety of rooms and room sizes to suit all budgets and the reason we make charges for (some) extras is because not all guests use all facilities, enabling us to keep room prices down for everyone.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This strikes me as a high turnover hotel catering for groups and not individuals.
Lifts are too small with too few. We were on the 6th floor and had to wait what seemed like ages every time we wanted to go out, often making way for staff with linen trolleys shuttling between floors. No service lifts?
The room was ok if a it stark. We had an exec room for my wife's 40th birthday trip. Even so only one bedside table. But the worst thing is the noise. The walls are paper thin. On our first morning we were awakes by our neighbours bathroom fan. Sounded like a Diesel engine running. On our second night after theater and dinner we got back after midnight, settled for the night then the fan started. All night through. It made a right racket.
Complained in the morning but no adjustment on price. A free upgrade for our next stay was offered. So basically we can pay full price again and get a bigger room, which we had paid for anyway on this occasion but got hardly any sleep. They said we should have raised the complaint at the time: so undressed for bed, go downstairs and ask them to wake our neighbours up and switch the fan off, which they are quite entitled to use. Really??
Should fit quieter fans..
Duty manager said she was not authorised to give a reduction.
Location is good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jb291173

Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read that, despite your comment about the good location of our hotel, your room stay itself was not as pleasurable as you – or I would expect it to be.

I am very sorry that you were kept awake by the neighbour’s fan. I can imagine how annoying it must have been. A phone call down to reception would have allowed us to investigate.

Please do come back to try us again, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed in a standard room that is like a room in a budget hotel but is packaged in a 4* hotel.3 reasons for this: 1.the mattress is so worn out that i can feel the spring of the mattress and it is loppside (for a 4* hotel!!!unbelievable) 2.the room is really tiny! 3.the wash basin is SO SMALL you feel like you are in the train toilets.There is no space at all to place anything. 4.there are 2 wall
sockets, 1 of which is not
working at all.

Seriously, with the same price i paid, i am able to stay in a MUCH better hotel. Which I am so glad I did. I stayed one night in this so called 4*star hotel and subsequent nights in anothrr very well known 4star chain hotel in an area tthat is
equivalent to this hotel!
Did i mntion that their frint desk staff is a little stuck up to. If u decoded to stay in this hotel u will have to match their stuck upness by being one!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank RLee80

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not like your room – we have a variety to suit all budgets and have a reputation for good value accommodation in this part of central London – and I regret that we did not have another available for you that night.

As to my staff, I don’t recognise what you mean by stuck up. I would be very grateful if you could drop an email to me on my duty managers’ address: duty.manager@kensingtonclosehotel.com and give me some examples of what you experienced so I can deal with this. I will not tolerate in any of my staff anything less than a welcoming and helpful demeanour.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I got a 3x2 deal though the hotel website and I was a bit concerned about the poor reviews but I must say I had a really good experience altogether. I was booked in a double executive in the new section of the hotel that has the refurbished rooms and I must say it is worth the extra money, which is not that much extra anyway. My room was modern and well appointed, comfortable double bed, large LCD TV , bathroom with shower and plenty of towels. The heating/air con is Daikin which is top of the range. I didn't have breakfast in the hotel since there are coffee shops within 3 minutes walk, all with free wifi. I am very fussy when it comes to hotels and I must say that this one fitted the bill.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sarita,

I am so glad that you have discovered us and I was delighted to read the comments in your review of your recent stay at Kensington Close. Thank you for taking the trouble to post it and I look forward to seeing you again at our hotel the next time you are in London.