“Unfriendly welcome”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #599 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

The guys on the door were awesome and very friendly. However, after a long haul flight I tried to check in at midday to be told to come back later as my room wasn't ready. Fair enough. Came back at 1pm and watched 2 families check in.... To be told "I already told you check in is not until 2pm" and if I wanted to check in early I would have to upgrade . Errrrr.. So why were others able to check in before me? Oh! They were in more expensive rooms. Apparently if you go for a standard you absolutely cannot get your room earlier. Found this very inflexible and the woman behind the counter very rude.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew H, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Zoe,

I accept your criticism if my receptionist was rude to you – that is clearly unacceptable and if she repeated what she had said before to you unkindly then I do apologise and I will deal with it. But please don’t be too harsh on us over your check-in experience generally. On any particular day not all rooms in all categories are always available before the 2pm check-in time, although we do our best to get as many in each category ready as possible. On the day you arrived, executive rooms were available before 2pm but unfortunately no standard rooms were.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The entrance and reception area are impressive and give a good first impression. The room was clean and comfortable, but rather small, especially as it was classified as a Superior Double. The bathroom was also small and would probably have been quite cramped for 2 people sharing. I had pre dinner drinks, with clients, in the bar, where the atmosphere was good and the service excellent. Breakfast also provided excellent service, while the selection of food was extensive and very high quality. This hotel offered high value for money and I would definitely use it again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Andrew H, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Michael,

I was delighted to hear your comments about our hotel making a good impression and being good value for money and I look forward to seeing you again on your next business trip to London. Thank you.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Just back from a 2 night break at the Kensington Close Hotel. It is very local to the tube and that was a big bonus. I booked a twin room with breakfast, but was not told we were going to be given a budget room, we were on the 1st floor. I was disappointed that the room was small, and not really 4 star standard, but nevertheless it was clean and quiet. The bathroom was modern but the shower was next to the sink, the curtain did not reach round, so every time someone took a shower the sink, floor etc was soaked, did not bother after a while to wipe it up left it to the cleaner, that way it may be rectified. The room was not as modern as the bathroom but was ok. Breakfast was very nice plenty of choice we ate well in the mornings. Did not use the pool as we both had colds, but had a look, smaller than the photos on the website and a charge of £8 per person amazed me no other hotel have we stayed in have charged. Check in and out was quick and efficient, only moan was the fact when we left luggage to explore after checking out we were told £1 per item, I said we would put luggage back in the room rather than pay the £3 for 3 bags as we had checked out early, which this i was told it was optional to pay this? mad who would? Never again had that experience in other hotels. Overall a good choice for location and breakfast but that is about it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Andrew H, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Juliet,

Thank you for your review.

I understand your point about the fee for using the 18m swimming pool - we do make a charge which incidentally includes access to the gym too. This is to keep our room rates down as not all guests want to use it. And yes, our luggage staff do propose a small charge for luggage storage but this is optional and is not made by the hotel.

I will get the shower curtain in the room you stayed in looked at - it probably just needs an adjustment. Thank you for drawing that to my attention.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed in this hotel valentines weekend rooms are small but clean we found the bar area a little cold because of front doors opening maybe a screen between lifts towards bar area might help and we thought wifi was not worth paying for especially when its free in every bar and restaurant all over the city and I know if there is free wifi you pay extra for something else.we did find the reception staff a little impersonal but we all can have a bad day other than that definately worth staying here greetings from Ireland thanks

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank iknow1

Dear Guest,

I am pleased you chose us for your Valentine’s weekend and thank you for writing a review describing us as ‘Excellent’, notwithstanding the various points you have made. I shall pass those on to my team and look into your screen suggestion.

On the subject of wifi, yes, we do make a separate charge, as not all guests wish to have their bedroom rates inflated by a service that they perhaps wouldn’t use. This policy is constantly reviewed but will remain for now. There are computers allotted for guest use in the Lounge area where the fixed line internet connection is free although I accept this is not always as convenient as using your own device.

I will raise your remark about my reception staff with them. Thank you for your understanding - if it wasn’t just one of those bad days, I am sure it was simply a case of a staff member doing their job with quiet, maybe too quiet, efficiency.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were on a family vacation to visit various cities in Europe( 14 members in our group). I was very disappointed in the hotel.
We had to wait for 20-25 minutes to check in, when I got to my room the Formica was chipped on the night stands and desk, there were broken tiles and mold in the bathroom, the wall even had a horrific stain. I called the front desk, was put on hold. finally I walked down( yes walked down due to elevators out of order). I was given another room, which was better that the first. no loose tiles, no stain on the wall, mold was still in the bathroom, but at this stage of our stay it wasn't worth moving to another room. I loved the location, however we had to pay extra to use the swimming pool.

Room Tip: check out the room before you check in
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I do apologise that your stay with us got off to a bad start, and that we gave you the wrong room initially. This will be put right.

As to the swimming pool, yes, we do make a charge - £8 for a full day. This is to keep our room rates down as not all guests want to use it.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at Kensington Close during our first visit in London. The hotel was very easy to locate as the nearest tube station (High Street Kensington) is only 200 m from the hotel entrance. The hotel surroundings include Kensington Palace and Kensington Gardens which are worth a visit. The park area is very nice and only about 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel.

The staff at the reception was very friendly and helpful and offered reasonably priced room upgrade for our stay which we first said no. But after seeing the room which was quite small and worn up we decided to accept the upgrade. Upgraded room was like from another hotel; much bigger,recently renovated, clean and tidy. Overall the hotel was nice and the general area was alright.

We ate once at the hotel restaurant and the dinner was great and staff even greater. We didn't have breakfast included our stay.

If and when we visit London again, Kensington Close will most likely be our choice of hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arttu M
Andrew H, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Welcome to London on your first visit and welcome to the Kensington Close! We would be delighted to see you again on your next trip and thank you for leaving such a nice review about your stay with us.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the KCH in London. My partner booked this for a weekend in London for a Valentine's present so I had no idea what to expect. The location is very good, it's tucked away at the bottom of the side street and the reception area and entrance are relaxed and welcoming. Reception staff were friendly. The hotel is very big and seems to extend a long way back; we were on the first floor in room 256. My partner had asked for a refurbished room and although fairly small, it was warm, clean and everything worked fine and the bathroom was lovely with nice freebie toiletries.

The hotel is in a great location for the shops on Kensington High Street, the tube station is just up the road and around the corner. It's ideal for Hyde Park, Science museum, natural history museum and not far from Harrods. It's a really great place to stay to visit loads of places in London. We went all over the place on the tube with no hassle and the fare was reasonable once we'd purchased an Oyster card.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kittyfloss

Dear Guest,

I did enjoy reading your review and must congratulate your partner on booking a Valentine’s surprise for you at Kensington Close. Your stay was clearly a success and your kind remarks about us are much appreciated.