“Student residences, not 4* hotel.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn London - Kensington

Holiday Inn London - Kensington
Ranked #619 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Student residences, not 4* hotel.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've been in better student residences than this! On the face it's a nice hotel, and they've got some really impressive pictures to promote it. But when you see the rooms it's a disaster. Tiny, poorly finished, old, tired. Others have compared to a Travel Lodge and they must have got a better room than us! I'd have been perfectly happy with a Travel Lodge.

We quickly found somewhere else much better and moved out after one night.

I know what to expect from a 4* hotel and this doesn't match up with a 1* after you leave the lobby.

Room Tip: The best rooms are in a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write up your review of the hotel, it is with only such feedback that we can improve the quality of the areas highlighted.

I am happy to confirm that there is already a refurbishment programme on-going which has seen a vast improvement on our executive room types and which is beginning to improve the budget rooms which you described.

We aim to bring the budget rooms in line with the rest of the product we currently enjoy. Should your travels bring is back to this area in the near future, be sure to try out our Executive or Club rooms which I am sure you'll love.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Nice initially impressive hotel located a 5 minute walk from Kensington High Street Tube. Communal areas very impressive with nice lobby, bar and dining area. However my room was a little bit disappointing if I am being honest. It was a very compact standard room that was next to the lift, was a little bit tired/dated and unimaginative. I would certainly stay at this hotel again (if the price was right) but would certainly look to avoid their standard rooms.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear 1879fulham,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor.

I am happy to see that you have rated us so highly and only let down by the compact size of our standard rooms. You will be please to know that such rooms as described in your feedback are currently on our refurbishment programme and hope that on a future visit you enjoy a more comfortable stay, or even more luxurious stay in one of our upgraded rooms.

Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I'm left in two minds about this hotel so will try to be as fair and constructive as possible.

First off, This is not a four star hotel. The standard and service level of the staff certainly is! But the hotel building, facilties and rooms are certainly not.

We arrived to the Kensington Close Hotel on Tuesday last week and were very impressed with the first impression we got. The fabulous reception and lounge areas leaving right back to what looked to be a lovely and somewhat large, restaurant.

When I got to my room however, the fairytale ended. I have stayed in nicer University Halls than the hotel room I was allocated on arrival. The bed wasn't even properly made and duvet was full of lumps. The bathroom long but ridiculously thin and I banged my head on the bathroom cabinet above the sink while brushing my teeth as well as getting water allo over the floor while washing my hands. Why, because the sink was so small I couldn't get my hands in it.

Add to this the chargeable wifi at £9.95 per day which regularly can't connect to the router, probably due to this very large hotel and volume of users at one time. Not a 4 star service.

£8 per day for use of the leisure facilities, which I appreciate is implemented as a way of restricting the volume of users to the size of the hotel, but still not a 4 star service.

When I awoke on the first morning of three I was less than happy to say the least. Add to that my experience when I went down for breakfast to find my room number wasn't on the list. It was easy to see I wasn't the only one either. I was also refused fresh milk from the kitchen which anyone who has read my other revues is a bug bear of mine. In a 4 star hotel however, to be refused this upon request is unthinkable! The rest of the breakfast was very good but not worth £15 per person per day.

After my event that day I went to speak to the Front of House manager, who was a lovely lady and very appreciative of my comments, even the bad ones. I was upgraded to an executive double room, which I still do not class as a 4 star but was certainly miles better than the first. The bed was comfortable though there was an obvious dip where the two mattresses met in the middle (zip linked beds). The bathroom was much better than the first and the sink was big enough to use normally.

The rest of the stay was actually quite enjoyable. I chose not to use the leisure facilities as these wre chargable but would have used them if they were included in the room rate like a normal 4 star hotel.

Sound proofing is the mahjor issue in this hotel. You can hear everything happening outside the bedroom door and through the paper thin walls.

After I left the hotel I realised I had left my memory sticks in the room, which are in the process of being returned to me.

As I said and please do let me be properly understood. The staff in this hotel are terrific, and do go out of their way to give great service. But they are up against the tide in this hotel when having to deal with all of the complaints caused by the standard of the physical hotel.

Overall I believe this venue to be a 4 star conferencing facility as this is where the obvious investment has been made, with the standard of the bedrooms as an afterthought. Investment is obviously being made in the bedrooms but I still don't think the new rooms are up to the standard of a 4 star hotel. Maybe a 3 star, but even then you wouldn;t pay for half of the services that you will find chargeable in the Kengsington Close Hotel.

Sad to say I won't return to this hotel. Which is a shame as the staff are all very good indeed. Please get teh standard of the bedrooms up to meet the standard of your staff. It's only fair.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, it is much appreciated and will be shared with the team.

As mentioned in your review, the front of house areas of the hotel have already benefitted from a refurbishment which we hope our rooms will reflect once the upgrade programme is complete. Although there are additional charges for areas such as Wi-Fi and the leisure club, you are correct that this is to restrict the volume and to improve service in these areas. Although not mentioned, there is a whole wealth of areas in the Leisure Club which include classes, fully fitted gym, sauna and Jacuzzi which would be overwhelmed should it be open to all.

I will feedback to the individual staff members and the team areas where you received both positive and negative experiences in service so that we can eliminate more of the negatives and encourage and empower our staff to deliver consistent good service throughout.

I do trust that you have now received the memory stick from the Housekeeping lost and found, should there be any delay, please contact me and I will follow this up for you should there be any delay.

Once again, I thank you for your time and do hope that you will try us out again should your travels bring you back to this area.

Prato, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hote was packed with groups , and I spent 30 minutes just to be able to ceck in. Than they said they upgraded my room, but gave me an old ( not renovated) room for disabled people that did not even had a proper curtain for the shower. The hotel makes you sad Avoid

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mario g
Dear mario g,

Thank you for your review, I am saddened to hear you did not enjoy your time at the hotel. You will be happy to hear that the hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment of the bedrooms and bathrooms which will be completed soon.

Should your travels bring you back to London, please try out one of our Executive or Club rooms which I'm sure you will enjoy and make you happy. We also have a loyalty programme for regular guests which has a dedicated check in area to minimise waiting time at check in.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Despite a cramped and very small room this hotel is very clean and well kept. The bed was comfortable and everything within the room was clean and functional. The price was reasonable and the location is about a 5 minute walk to the London Underground. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alyssaria
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Karen F,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to complete your review of the hotel.

I understand that some of our budget rooms are compact and happy that you found your accommodation clean and well maintained as well as value for money.

I will be sure to relay your comments to the team.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

My wife surprised me with a weekend break in London staying in the kensington close hotel and all i can say is this hotel is 'highly recomended' and I can say this with experience of staying all over the world in many 5 star hotels........... staff are so courteous and friendly, nothing is too much of a problem and always with a smile. The rooms are very well equipped ,and ours had a wonderful bed...........the lounge bar area was a delightfull chill out area even when it was busy. The massage facilities and pool were top class and of course your close to so many fabulous restaurants in the immediate area , An absolute must if you can get a table is 'the Babylon roof top' restaurant just round the corner.
Rolls Royce service 5 star

Room Tip: we stayed on the 8th floor............. very nice.........
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank conway l l
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear conway l l,

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to write us such a wonderful review.

We are happy that you have enjoyed your time with us and I will be sure to pass on your comments onto the Team.

Kindest Regards

Guest relations Manager
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located-near underground rail. Nice, clean & pleasant hotel. Ben at Concierge very helpful & all Doormen were pleasant. Front desk staff not service orientated-had to wait a while for keys to be recut. Some staff not friendly & don't greet. Elevator too small. Bathroom very small & non slip bathmat distasteful & towels were old. Bathroom basin was cracked (Room 535). Shower in bath was not ideal-water was dripping from shower curtain onto the floor. Linen was not changed for 3 days. Should have greater selection of movies. Breakfast was very routine, no variety. We ate the same breakfast for our entire stay. In room dining was good

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Billy3011
Dear Billy3011,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, it is with only such feedback that we may understand the needs of the guest and look to improve on areas where needed.

I will pass your comments on to Ben and his team for the welcome and assistance given, I am sure it will be greatly received. The experience you encountered with some of the areas you mentioned in your review will be shared with the team so that these areas can be addressed accordingly.

I have been informed that there are discussions with regards to the in-room entertainment and we hope to have a larger selection of movies available in the future.

Once again, thank you for your review; we do hope to welcome you back in the future.