“Worst nights sleep ever” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn London - Kensington

Holiday Inn London - Kensington
Ranked #617 of 1,089 Hotels in London
North East
“Worst nights sleep ever”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

This is the 2nd time I have stayed here and it will be the last. Learning a lesson from my first visit and thinking I should give the place another go, I booked a room with a double bed, the room was small but ok for just me, although I imagine it'd fairly cramped with 2 people. The rooms are certainly not 4* quality, as the standard of rooms in some budget hotels are way better than here. However on both visits one of the major issues I've noticed is soundproofing in the rooms- it's appalling! I'm not a particularly light sleeper but from around 4am I was woken up repeatedly by the sound of a door opening underneath my room with a loud creak and then closing with a bang, this seemed to happen every 5 mins or so. I'm presuming the first floor rooms (1009-1012) are above some kind of staff area and / or thoroughfare as this noise went on for the rest of the night. Around 6am I started to hear could hear neighbouring rooms' toilets being flushed, I finally gave up trying to sleep at 7am having had only 3 hours unbroken sleep- not great for a business traveller. Some work definitely needs doing about the soundproofing.

Things I can't fault this hotel about are the staff, the breakfast, the public areas and the location, all of which are superb. This place is fine for a night but if you want a decent nights sleep then I'd definitely request an upper floor.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to see that on your second stay with us you have rated your stay so low. We accept that in our budget rooms there is less space than our higher category rooms which are available for upgrade should you wish.

With regards to the issue experienced with the noise, we are currently going through an upgrade project on our room stock. Although we cannot completely soundproof the rooms, it is expected that once the rooms have been upgraded, this will be greatly reduced.

I would like to thank you for your comments made with regards to the areas which we have already focused on, I hope that should you return to us in the future you enjoy a more relaxed stay in one of our refurbished rooms.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed here whilst away with work and had my fiance stay with me. The double rooms are not big enough to be comfortable.

Having said that the location and general cleanliness was good.

All in all, not bad value in a good location

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to see that you felt our double rooms were not big enough to be comfortable, I do accept that some of our budget rooms can be compact but they are exceptional value for money for the location.

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed the location and found the hotel to be well mainained. Should you book to stay here with your fiancé, may I recommend treating yourself to an upgrade which I’m sure you’ll find just that little extra special.

West Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I am a business traveler and I stay in a lot of hotels and this one is simply dreadful. After being lulled into a false sense of security by the very nice front of house, Reception, bar, coffee shop, I was shocked to see the state of the room. Two very small single beds, one of which contained hair (small and curly) and toenails clippings when the sheets were pulled back.....Yuk! The walls were grubby the bathroom door handle was falling off. The bath was badly chipped with and mold around the mirror and taps - really bad - note to the manager - yes I have pictures. The walls were as thin as paper and I could hear every word of the people in the next room who kept talking till 2 in the morning. Sleep quality was very poor because the bed was so small - I'm 6 foot 3 tall. I was supposed to stay two night but have moved on to a different hotel - not believing that it is worth talking with the management - because when you find human stuff in what is supposed to be a clean bed, in an already grubby hotel - there is frankly no point.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you have run out of options.
1 Thank WestWalesHorse
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear reviewer,

I was disappointed that you rated your stay with us so low.

I do accept that some of our budget rooms can be compact, but they are exceptional value for central London. As you have seen, our front of house areas have benefited from our refurbishment project which is ongoing in the bedrooms. The bedrooms were an area which had been highlighted by such feedback as your own.

With regards to the issues you experienced from housekeeping, we wish only that it was brought to our immediate attention so that the newly appointed Head Housekeeper could have addressed the team. Although our single beds in the budget rooms are of a standard size, arrangements could have been made to accommodate your needs should this have been menioned at the time the reservation was made.

We do hope that should you return to London you upgrade to our Executive or Club rooms which have already been refurbished to a very high standard and would be more suited to a regular business traveller as yourself.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,289 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Won't win any awards for luxury but there are good deals to be had and it's very convenient to the tube and useful or attractive bits of town. Wouldn't eat in but there are good places very close by. Used to be a good (?) Russian place just up the road on the left which was excellent for breakfast, tea time or snacks generally. Confess I didn't even look to see if it was open this time but there are lots of other places out on the High St.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank HillyCirencester
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for the positive feedback of the hotel. If you do visit us again, please try out one of our various food and beverage areas, we are priced competitively and offer a good selection to choose from.

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've been in better student residences than this! On the face it's a nice hotel, and they've got some really impressive pictures to promote it. But when you see the rooms it's a disaster. Tiny, poorly finished, old, tired. Others have compared to a Travel Lodge and they must have got a better room than us! I'd have been perfectly happy with a Travel Lodge.

We quickly found somewhere else much better and moved out after one night.

I know what to expect from a 4* hotel and this doesn't match up with a 1* after you leave the lobby.

Room Tip: The best rooms are in a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write up your review of the hotel, it is with only such feedback that we can improve the quality of the areas highlighted.

I am happy to confirm that there is already a refurbishment programme on-going which has seen a vast improvement on our executive room types and which is beginning to improve the budget rooms which you described.

We aim to bring the budget rooms in line with the rest of the product we currently enjoy. Should your travels bring is back to this area in the near future, be sure to try out our Executive or Club rooms which I am sure you'll love.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Nice initially impressive hotel located a 5 minute walk from Kensington High Street Tube. Communal areas very impressive with nice lobby, bar and dining area. However my room was a little bit disappointing if I am being honest. It was a very compact standard room that was next to the lift, was a little bit tired/dated and unimaginative. I would certainly stay at this hotel again (if the price was right) but would certainly look to avoid their standard rooms.

Dear 1879fulham,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor.

I am happy to see that you have rated us so highly and only let down by the compact size of our standard rooms. You will be please to know that such rooms as described in your feedback are currently on our refurbishment programme and hope that on a future visit you enjoy a more comfortable stay, or even more luxurious stay in one of our upgraded rooms.

Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I'm left in two minds about this hotel so will try to be as fair and constructive as possible.

First off, This is not a four star hotel. The standard and service level of the staff certainly is! But the hotel building, facilties and rooms are certainly not.

We arrived to the Kensington Close Hotel on Tuesday last week and were very impressed with the first impression we got. The fabulous reception and lounge areas leaving right back to what looked to be a lovely and somewhat large, restaurant.

When I got to my room however, the fairytale ended. I have stayed in nicer University Halls than the hotel room I was allocated on arrival. The bed wasn't even properly made and duvet was full of lumps. The bathroom long but ridiculously thin and I banged my head on the bathroom cabinet above the sink while brushing my teeth as well as getting water allo over the floor while washing my hands. Why, because the sink was so small I couldn't get my hands in it.

Add to this the chargeable wifi at £9.95 per day which regularly can't connect to the router, probably due to this very large hotel and volume of users at one time. Not a 4 star service.

£8 per day for use of the leisure facilities, which I appreciate is implemented as a way of restricting the volume of users to the size of the hotel, but still not a 4 star service.

When I awoke on the first morning of three I was less than happy to say the least. Add to that my experience when I went down for breakfast to find my room number wasn't on the list. It was easy to see I wasn't the only one either. I was also refused fresh milk from the kitchen which anyone who has read my other revues is a bug bear of mine. In a 4 star hotel however, to be refused this upon request is unthinkable! The rest of the breakfast was very good but not worth £15 per person per day.

After my event that day I went to speak to the Front of House manager, who was a lovely lady and very appreciative of my comments, even the bad ones. I was upgraded to an executive double room, which I still do not class as a 4 star but was certainly miles better than the first. The bed was comfortable though there was an obvious dip where the two mattresses met in the middle (zip linked beds). The bathroom was much better than the first and the sink was big enough to use normally.

The rest of the stay was actually quite enjoyable. I chose not to use the leisure facilities as these wre chargable but would have used them if they were included in the room rate like a normal 4 star hotel.

Sound proofing is the mahjor issue in this hotel. You can hear everything happening outside the bedroom door and through the paper thin walls.

After I left the hotel I realised I had left my memory sticks in the room, which are in the process of being returned to me.

As I said and please do let me be properly understood. The staff in this hotel are terrific, and do go out of their way to give great service. But they are up against the tide in this hotel when having to deal with all of the complaints caused by the standard of the physical hotel.

Overall I believe this venue to be a 4 star conferencing facility as this is where the obvious investment has been made, with the standard of the bedrooms as an afterthought. Investment is obviously being made in the bedrooms but I still don't think the new rooms are up to the standard of a 4 star hotel. Maybe a 3 star, but even then you wouldn;t pay for half of the services that you will find chargeable in the Kengsington Close Hotel.

Sad to say I won't return to this hotel. Which is a shame as the staff are all very good indeed. Please get teh standard of the bedrooms up to meet the standard of your staff. It's only fair.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, it is much appreciated and will be shared with the team.

As mentioned in your review, the front of house areas of the hotel have already benefitted from a refurbishment which we hope our rooms will reflect once the upgrade programme is complete. Although there are additional charges for areas such as Wi-Fi and the leisure club, you are correct that this is to restrict the volume and to improve service in these areas. Although not mentioned, there is a whole wealth of areas in the Leisure Club which include classes, fully fitted gym, sauna and Jacuzzi which would be overwhelmed should it be open to all.

I will feedback to the individual staff members and the team areas where you received both positive and negative experiences in service so that we can eliminate more of the negatives and encourage and empower our staff to deliver consistent good service throughout.

I do trust that you have now received the memory stick from the Housekeeping lost and found, should there be any delay, please contact me and I will follow this up for you should there be any delay.

Once again, I thank you for your time and do hope that you will try us out again should your travels bring you back to this area.