“Excellant Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #617 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Edmonton, Canada
“Excellant Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed three night at Kensington Close Hotel and found it to be a very nice hotel. The rooms were a bit smaller than we were used to but they were very clean. Everyone working at the hotel that we had dealings with were very nice and tried very hard to help with any request.
We would like to give special thanks to the manager of the lounge. My wife had a bit of a cold, she requested a hot rum toddy. The bartender was not sure how to make one so the manager made them herself every time we went, above and beyond, service like this is rare these days. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gnew1
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Gnew1,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the Kensington Close hotel.

I will pass on your kind comments to the team and make a special mention to the Lounge Manager for looking after your wife’s request.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aksdal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel had an excellent service! We arrived late Thursday night, and it appeared that Our handler in Norway had NOT corrected the arrival date from Friday to Thursday. With five Young Girls (age 13 and 14) we were caught by surprise. The hotel, however, showed an amazing effort to find us Three rooms - and they did. And the NeXT day, they moved all the luggage from one room to another on the same floor as the other two.
In addition, they helped us rewriting Our boarding Cards, fixing taxi, special needs for gluten free Food. Always With a big smile.
We can highly recommende this hotel - and we will also make this hotel as Our first Choice whenever we go back to London.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear tove-magi,

Thank you for your Five Star review on the Kensington Close Hotel.

I will share your feedback with the rest of the team, it’s always great to know that when something goes wrong and we are able to fix it.

We sincerely hope that you will return to us soon and thank you for highly recommending us and making us the first choice for your future stays in London.

Wallace, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is the worst hotel we've ever stayed in. I will say that the location is great and our room was not a bad size - well, hope not for the price! You cannot turn off the overhead lights without turning off everything. Supposedly there were night lights but only one of them worked. The housekeeping manager wasn't sure they could get the bulb to fix it. (They didn't.) On the other hand she did make sure we had enough coffee so that was good. At check-in the front desk staff seemed more interested in selling us additional services and failed to give us basic information such as how to turn on the lights or that there was a business center. When we asked if the rate she quoted us included taxes (as it was more than our confirmation amount) her attitude became very patronizing. There is no free wi-fi , contrary to our expectations, not even in a small lobby area. When we called to inquire about this (twice before getting someone to help us) the assistant night manager was so rude I admit I lost my temper. She might have taken the route of saying she was sorry for the confusion but they had business center computers we could use, instead she was very confrontational. Apparently she’s heard this one before. The night before our last day we were awakened at 3:00 am by the fire alarm going off. Doors opened up and down the hallway, no one knew anything, and there was no answer at the front desk when we called and not a staff member in sight. Finally the fellow across the hall suggested that the alarm wouldn’t have finally been turned off if there was really a fire. Upon inquiring the following morning my husband was told someone had been smoking in his room. Period. No apology, no suggestion of a voucher for a cup of coffee or a drink in the bar, nothing. I will say that we were helped several times by staff members such as the housekeeping supervisor and a nice lady in the gym. One of the doormen was also very helpful. I saw some negative reviews on TripAdvisor before we even got here but assumed the best. I shouldn’t have.

Room Tip: Don't go. If you have to stay here spend the money for an executive double.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marsha S
Dear MarshandEd

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.

I apologise that we were unable to meet with your expectations during your stay, it was unfortunate that you found the operation of the lights in the room difficult, however, we do have a team members available at all times who will be happy assist in these circumstances.

We are very open about the charges for the internet and I have responded to several comments made on tripadvisor reviews the same. I am happy to report that following such comments, it has now been decided to include complimentary Wi-Fi access to all Executive rooms. I will share your comments with the Front Office team members with regards to how this information is conveyed going forward.

I apologise for the disruption caused by the alarm system sounding, however this is for the safety of all guests. With there being a smaller number of employees available at night, it is not possible to man each floor at the time of evacuation which is why full instructions for evacuation are posted on the door in each guest room.

I will be sure to pass your compliments to the Housekeeping supervisor and doorman.

Once again, thank you for your feedback as this will be used in improving our operation going forward.

IOW england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked this deal from Last minute .com. We knew the hotel was in Kensington and were told on the phone the normal rate was £150 a night. We paid £111.35. There was no breakfast if we had paid for that it would have cost us £15.50 each, if the normal rate includes breakfast then it would have cost £148.85 so just offering a room only on Top secret for £111 is not much of a discount. Also the room was very small the bed against the window so one person would have had to climb over the other to get out? This was more like a cheap B & B than a top London hotel
We didn't accept this room and were shown to the only room left which was a disabled room, at least the room was bigger and the bed full size

Another gripe this Hotel charges £9.00 a day for Wifi, whereas most hotels make it free!.

Room Tip: Don't accept a small room.
1 Thank nickleby68
Dear nickleby68

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Kensington Close hotel.

I was happy to read that on reporting to the front desk team that you were unhappy about the room size they were able to accommodate you in a room with additional space.
For future bookings, I would recommend visiting our own website as we offer full details of room dimensions and what is included in the rate, we regularly offer special rates. We have recently included complimentary Wi-Fi to all our executive rooms and still provide complimentary access to the internet in our business lounge.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel is situated just off Kensington High Street so you have all the shops within a couple of minutes walk. It's a big hotel with plenty of staff on hand at all times to answer questions and help you out. The staff really make this place, London hotels don't always have the friendliest staff but they were falling over themselves to help you out. We had an Executive Club room and it was large with a separate shower and bath as well as a really comfortable bed. The room service menu looks delicious with plenty of choice.
The only thing letting the hotel down is the spa facilities - the Jacuzzi wasn't working and they hire the pool out for children's swimming lessons so it's not exactly relaxing. They also didn't have any full time beauticians working at the spa so they hired in a freelance which meant my partner and I had to have out treatments separately which wasn't so convenient.

Dear L0ngirl

Thank you for your amazing review on the Kensington Close hotel.

I was really happy to read your review and see that you truly enjoyed your stay with us, I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the team.

At present we are recruiting full time beauticians, however, I would recommend booking treatments in advance to avoid disappointment.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future

Warmest regards

Melbourne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

All effort seems to have gone into making a great first impression (porter eager to help with bags, attractive lobby, friendly & welcoming staff), and not into the thing you're paying for - the room. This is definitely the smallest hotel room I've ever been in - more like an en-suite broom-cupboard. The bathroom was badly laid out - anyone slightly overweight may struggle to move around it easily. The sink was so small it was impossible to wash/brush teeth without ending up with soap/water/toothpaste all over feet and floor. There was a hole in the sheet and the duvet cover, and a hole in the door to the bathroom. All things you wouldn't associate with a room at this cost.
That said, the bed was very comfortable (great nights sleep), the location fantastic (2mins walk from High Street Kensington tube station, 15mins from Earls Court), and the breakfast selection excellent and very tasty.
I guess not all of the rooms are this disappointing, but based on this experience I wouldn't stay again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear astanley39

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

Not all our rooms are as cosy as the one described, we do publish details of our rooms including dimensions on our website. Although much time and effort has been made to make the rooms as comfortable as possible, including an on-going project of replacing all beds, we cannot change the room sizes

It was great to read that you enjoyed your time in London and that you found the location to your liking. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team.

Should you decide to try us again, may I recommend our executive and executive club rooms which I’m sure you’ll love.

France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We had a standard double. The room was adequate to house the kingside bed and the en-suite was good. The room was clean and sufficiently appointed and had either been refurbished recently or looked after well. Do not expect an individually cooked breakfast but be content with an enormous choice of breakfast fare, whether hot or not, to meet the taste of most nationalities. The staff are all very, very polite and helpful - possibly because many, if not most, are not of recent British origin but have been brought up with the same values as I, and I am English but rather older! My only complaint is that when I booked I was lead to believe that guests enjoyed WiFi access. When I tried to log on the the site said I should put my room number and surname in the box provided - there was none. I telephoned reception to be told that you now have to pay for access at £9.50 a day but the IT people had not changed the log on page correctly yet. The IT manager should be fired and I object to have to pay extra in a hotel or WiFi access - it is free in most places in London. I also object to be told by the barman that I cannot take a large glass to my room because I like water at night in something larger than a 'tooth mug' for Health and Safety reasons. Do get a life! Nevertheless, a good hotel at the price in London.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nigel Y
Dear Nigel Y

Thank you for your feedback on the Kensington Close hotel.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your room and breakfast.

Although many places in London provide free access Wi-Fi, it is usually for a limited time and/or very slow. I have checked our accommodation information pages and it does clearly state, ‘WiFi available throughout the hotel chargeable at £9.95 for 24 hours’, however, we have just introduced complimentary Wi-Fi for all executive rooms booked.

The barman is quite correct in requesting that glasses not be removed from the bar, although not for the reason given, we do supply water glasses in each room and the water from the taps is quite safe to drink, if every guest was to remove a glass from the bar we would then receive comments about not being served in the correct glass.

I will be sure to convey your comments to the team and hope that we can welcome you through our doors in the future.