“Good value and service”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #597 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 June 2014

When I reviewed this hotel last year, I said that despite a few niggles we would be coming back. Now we've been back and I can report that most of the niggles were not repeated. Perhaps I was listened to. I'd still caution prospective guests to read the website carefully, be clear about what you are getting, particularly room size, and understand that this is not a cheap part of London to stay in. Still a few minor niggles. Why no pen or pencil in the room? They cost about 2p,and I wanted to do the crossword! Room service food is slow (45 min), basic quality,and far from cheap. And only one lift is big enough for my wife's wheelchair. But the staff are always friendly and helpful, so next time we stay in Kensington, it's likely to be at the Close.

• Stayed: May 2014
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear nottoogrumpy

Thank you for your feedback on your return recent stay at the Kensington Close hotel.

It’s great to see that you recognise that we do take feedback constructively and use it to improve service and product where we can. We regularly check that the details on our website are up to date as there have been quite a few changes recently with upgrades.

I apologise that there was no note pad and pen in the room, I will convey this to the Housekeeper as this is a standard supply in the room and must have been overlooked on this occasion, should you have called down a member of the team would have supplied this to you.

I will forward your comments to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We visited the hotel for afternoon tea as it offered a very good rate.

There were plenty of sandwiches, cakes and scones with cream. If you are looking for a relaxed tea in a comfortable environment and you are in the area I would recommend.

The only reason I gave it a 4 out of 5 is because although the tea was very nice, it was in bags rather than leaves and the jam was in little plastic tubs which we had to ask for, it wasn't served with the tea.

Overall a great afternoon with friends.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear SophieJH

Thank you for your review on the hotel’s afternoon tea.

It’s great to read that you and friends enjoyed the experience and will be recommending us.

I will be sure to relay your feedback to the relevant team members so that we can improve the experience further.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My personal impression about this hotel that it is big even though it does not look like. There are many guests on the move constantly so reception is very busy. I stayed here for my business meeting and we had everything organized in the hotel. Rooms are not so big but they are very clean. Quality of the bed was very good and I had a good sleep here. Internet was included in my booking and it was also working superb. Bathroom was funny in its design as it was very long but narrow. But nevertheless it was very clean so that is important. Breakfast was typical English and you can select form bacon, beans, tomatoes, different kind of eggs, cheeses, salami and not to forget a necessary tea :). Location of the hotel is very good and you can can with easely establish a hub for exploring London from here. Anyway, I recommend this place, but hua, it might be very expensive if you do not book well ahead. My room was paid by the organizer of the event so I actually do not know what was its price.
About the meeting facilities. They are ok and functional. Only drawback is that they are windowless. But that is also not a big deal for me as I do not come there to look through the window.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Davor K

Thank you for your review on your recent stay here at the Kensington Close hotel; it looks as though you experienced all the areas except the leisure facility.

With over 700 bedrooms we are a fairly large hotel and we benefit from an amazing location. As you’ve experienced, the hotel has been upgraded significantly with still more improvements being made. Although not able to alter the room layout, we are investing in new beds and pillows; with the added bonus of being in a quieter corner of London the quality of sleep is generally better.

A lot of time has been spent improving the breakfast offer and it’s great to see that you found it to your taste, I will be sure to let the breakfast team know your thoughts.

We do offer very competitive rates, however, for the best deals, it is better to book in advance. Full details of offers available are available on our website.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Well situated close to the High Street Kensington Tube Station and Kensington Gardens, this hotel offers a reasonable rate for a few nights stay. It is a bit dated, which one could overlook if the day were spent sightseeing and shopping, but the extra charge for internet is too much and where I stayed (toward the back of the hotel overlooking the college), the internet wireless signal was very weak. There is a nice fitness facility way down in the basement, though. During my stay there were quite a few airline crews.

Room Tip: It was very quiet towards the back of the hotel overlooking the college.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark M
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Mark M

Thank for your feedback of the Kensington Close hotel. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the relevant department heads. I will agree that some of the rooms can be cosy; however, we do provide full details of the room including the room dimensions on our website to ensure guests are fully informed before arrival.

With over 700 bedrooms in the hotel, I’m sure you will agree that the restaurant is of a good size to accommodate the demand. There have been some major improvements made in the décor and service and we appreciate the feedback so that we can look to improve further.

It is great to see that you enjoyed the gym; it is very well equipped and has one of the largest pools in the area.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here a few weeks ago only just got round to writing a review. Staff on the door were very friendly helping me with my bags, but reception staff were very rude and judgemental, making me feel like I wasn't good enough to be there.. maybe because I booked with late rooms so got a cheaper deal I didn't deserve good customer service?! We also got told off by a maid for using the wrong lift as we had used a staff lift which was not marked as a staff lift. General bad atmosphere, just felt as if all the staff were looking down at me, room was small but nice enough, but I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Hannah R

Thank you for your feedback it is much appreciated. Please be assured that your comments will be fed back to the relevant team leaders. We are sorry that you felt this way whilst at the hotel, this is not how we want our guests to feel while they are with us and there is no reflection on rate paid to service provided.

We do hope that you reconsider and hope to welcome you through our doors in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have stayed here at least a dozen times - it is a preferred hotel via my work. The service is generally very slow at the desk, with most staff having a poor command of the English language which does not help check-in! The rooms (even the Executive doubles) are very small with barely enough space to walk around the bed. Breakfast service is very busy - would advise to get down early or you will be waiting 10-15 mins for a coffee. The gym however is excellent and without this i would be marking the hotel lower than 3 stars. The hotel is a favourite for tourists, particularly Chinese, so if you don't like the morning tourist bustle then avoid this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Radarulare

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Knowing that this hotel was just off Kensington High Street I was expecting something special. On arrival our greeting was good, staff friendly. We were early and therefore our room was not quite ready, we were able to leave our luggage until we could get our keys. The reception area, lounge, bar etc., are beautiful and therefore on our return we expected something rather special from our room. We got there and there was a musty smell, we realised we were above the smokers corner and could hear the conversation and smell the smoke and since it was 26 degrees we had to have the window open for air. There were 3 of us in the room 2 normal beds and I was told we would have a roll out bed, not realising quite what this meant until I saw it, basically it was a camp bed, now since we were 3 grown ladies we thought we would see how we got on, we checked the towels only to find that we only had towels for 2 of us, phone call to housekeeping, then we noticed that there were only 2 mugs for the tea/coffe, another phone call to housekeeping. The bathroom was pokey to say the least, the bath come shower was dirty and full of hairs, hence another phone call to housekeeping.....By this time thijs was becoming embarrassing, I thought I can't phone them again, but I did and someone came and washed out the bath, we also noticed that the panelling was coming off the bottom of the bathroom door this is due to the damp and the water coming from the shower, my friend had to end up using a couple of the towels to mop the floor as it was so wet it was seeping through to the bedroom carpet. We ended up having to use the shower hand held as the dial would not turn and my friend hurt her hand trying to turn it on. we had to just use the taps.
As my title says this hotel may be rising to a 4* but it is not there yet, having worked in the hotel industry for 20 years I know what a 4* and this is not it. I realise that it is being refurbished and can only thing that we got a room that has not yet been refurbed. There were no ice machines in the corridors and since it was so hot I kept having to phone down to ask for jugs of iced water.
When we booked the hotel it was requested that we had a superior twin room with a roll out bed, this was certainly not superior.
The good thing about this hotel is the location it is excellent for that, but I'm sorry Kensington Close you have some way to go in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank chilledout55
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear chilledout55,

Thank you for your feedback on the Kensington Close hotel.

I apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion; every effort has been made to ensure that the room descriptions are correct. Air conditioning is a feature in all the rooms within the hotel, the system works much more efficiently with windows closed so that the cooler can reduce the air temperature in the room.

It has been decided not to install ice machines on each floor as the positioning of such devices is a difficult one. Ice machines require a constant water supply, generate additional heat and cause disruption during the night. As mentioned, we have 24hr. room service available in the hotel who are happy to accommodate your requests.

I have raised your concerns with the Head housekeeper with regards to the room set up and the issue with the bathroom. It is unfortunate that these issues were not brought to the attention to the Manger on Duty as these shortfalls in service could have been addressed on the day.

Once again, thank you for your feedback which we will use to develop and improve going forward.