Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
US$189
galahotels.com
US$203
4,547 results
All reviewsmuffin mantube stationrooms are smallhotel is in a great locationhyde parkfew minutes walkafternoon teakensingtondoorman
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was my first stay here, and first impressions were favourable. A friendly doorman, nice reception area and staff, goo location close to the Tube and Kensington high street.

My room was small, no view to speak of, unless you leant out the window and cricked your neck. The bed was comfortable but the usual pushing two beds together. The shower itself was good, but the bathroom had a cracked sink and a little mould on the door.

The hotel was primarily booked due to the pool and spa. It wasn't until closer inspection I discovered use of the pool was at an extra £8 each a time. I do not think this is reasonable for guests of the hotel to be charged this.

I booked into an executive room but had a discounted rate. I would be disappointed in this hotel if I had paid the full rate, but at a discount it was fine.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Laura I
Thank you for your feedback on your visit, I will address the issues you had with the room with the Housekeeper and apologise for this oversight on their behalf.

I will pass on our compliments to the team and do hope that we will be able to welcome you back In the near future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here two nights. Location of the hotel is great - just a few minutes' walk from the tube station and Kensington high street, restaurants and 15 minutes' walk to Kensington Palace. First impressions of the hotel are great - staff are friendly and courteous. Big thank you to the luggage boys who are very helpful and go out of their way to assist. We stayed in a standard room which is very cosy, as stated on their website. It can be extremely cosy! But it's ok if you don't plan to spend time in the room except to sleep, shower and leave your luggage, which probably didn't make us feel too bad about the size of the room. Hotel has been refurbished to a certain extent - I suppose they can do nothing about the size of the rooms or the well-used state of the bathrooms & toilets in the rooms. It's clean but quite outdated. Shower curtain in our bathroom was broken which resulted in water spilling all over the floor. Breakfast is ok, service was good. Concierge staff tend not to be at the desk so be prepared to wait if you need help - I showed up at the desk on 3 separate occasions and had to wait until someone came. On my last day I ordered a drink and a bar snack from the bar at the hotel. Had to send the snack back because there was hair mixed in with the salad that got served with my snack. Got put off from eating there. The server apologised and offered me a replacement, but I was put off already. No further apologies from the kitchen or any discount on my drink. Really spoilt my experience at the hotel and left me wondering about the standard of hygiene in the kitchen. Does breakfast get served from this same kitchen?? The hotel has a car park that is for hire per day so that is superb. Overall, I think the staff make this hotel a nice place to stay because they genuinely aim to please, the hotel physically is a bit run down but they try their best to keep it up to standard. You have to pay for wifi per day. First hotel I have stayed at in London that makes you pay for wifi. But then again, I have stayed at only 3 hotels in London. Our stay was ok enough but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 201Sheila

Dear 201Sheila,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay, I will be sure to pass on your thanks to the luggage boys. I will also pass on your concerns with regards to the other matters raised, I apologise to you for the shortfalls in service you experienced and assure you that they will be addressed.

Although there are a few rooms which are still a little outdated, we are near completion of an extensive refurbishment programme which will see the remainder of the bathrooms and bedrooms updated.

I sincerely hope you had an enjoyable trip back home and hope that we can entice you back if you travel this way again.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was my first stay here, and first impressions were favourable. Nice lobby, friendly doorman, close to High Street Kensington tube and plenty of local shops and restaurants.

Sadly, it went downhill from there. Unlike other reviewers, my room was large. There was no view to speak of, but the beds were comfy, and I slept well. The room itself however, was not always easy to get into - it could take easily 6/7 attempts to open the door. When I mentioned this to the reception,the response was a shrug, and a comment of 'it sometimes happens'. Not very helpful.

The shower itself was good, but the bathroom suffered from a little mould round the door frames and sink. On turning the shower on (which had a habit of soaking much of the bathroom), the curtain got sucked in - between that and the grab rail, there wasn't much space left, and involved some shower curtain wrestling in order to make a little room!

I was booked into an executive room, which included free wifi (usually £9.99 for 24 hours), Moulton brown bathroom stuff and water in the room... It took me until the last night to twig that I was in the wrong room type, despite being given the wifi vouchers. I queried this with reception, who confirmed that my room had been downgraded, but couldn't explain why - or why I hadn't been told. I will be emailing the duty manager for an explanation.

I spend most of each week in London, and stay in various hotels... However, this is one I shall now avoid, primarily due to the lack of satisfactory service.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CalamityJennifer
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear IkarusC42

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit.

May I apologise for the shortfalls you have experienced and the Duty manager will investigate the matter once your email is received (we cannot see the details of your stay here). Please email the details to: duty.manager@kensingtonclosehotel.com

It's great to read that you slept well and found the location favourable. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was booked into this hotel for 1 night whilst staying in London on business.
The booking was made by a specialist company, and a double executive room was confirmed for me.
I was at a conference all day, and arrived fairly late (after 7pm), looking forward to a comfortable room and some good food.
On arrival I booked in at reception, and was headed a key card with the words "you have a superior double room"
I immediately pointed out that this was an inferior room type to the on booked and paid for, and the receptionist looked at me blankly and said "the superior room has a bath"
Unimpressed I asked if it had a shower,
"Yes, do you want this room, or the executive room?"
I replied that I would like the room type that had been booked and paid for, which comes with free wifi and superior refreshments & toiletries to the other room type.

The thing that really angered me was that there was the correct room type available, but the hotel had decided to downgrade me without comment.
There was no explanation, no apology, no offer of a refund, not even an acknowledgment that they were wanting to put me in a cheaper room than I had paid for, and some ridiculous comment about a bath - why on earth would a bath make up for this?

The executive room I eventually stayed in was ok, not great but not terrible.
There was a Henry vacuum abandoned in the corridor from the time I arrived, until after I returned form dinner (approx 3 hours that I know of)
The room itself was the disabled access room, and to be honest was a little tired.

One of the coat hangers had nails (panel pins) sticking out of it, which is where the trouser rail had come off (I know this as the same rail fell off another hanger I was trying to put a pair of trousers on).
The bed was a twin zipped together, and was ok but this always feels less comfortable than a real double bed.
The window looked out onto a flat roof and extractor vent, which was a little noisy but not awful.
The air conditioning worked really well and was easy to set to the temperature I liked
The bathroom was very large, as expected for disabled access, but the wet room shower flooded the room towards the sink, and didn't drain well at all.

The next morning I went down to breakfast, served in a very large room towards the back of the ground floor.
There's a good selection of English breakfast staples, and the scrambled eggs were by far the best I've ever had at a breakfast buffet like this.
Toast wasn't toast though, like most places that have the conveyor belt toasters - it was slightly warm bread
Please make proper toast!

Another comment I would like to make is about the concierge.
They happily plugged my ipad into a charger (I'd forgotten mine), but when I asked if they knew whether Marylebone station had a luggage store the answer should have been "no"
I had a mad dash from Marylebone to Paddington, and then to Westminster for a meeting, and was only just in time to get through security!

My final comment is to have a look around
This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, but I've had a better nights sleep, and better service from many 3 stars
Is it really worth it?
I'm far from convinced

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you've booked and paid for
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank alleroo

Dear alleroo

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.

I will be sure to share your review with the team so that the shortfalls in service that you have mentioned can be addressed. I apologise for the inconvenience you encountered and will be sure that measures are put in place so that they are not repeated.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a big hotel with over 600 rooms and as such it tends to attract the tourists by the coach load. That said all the rooms have been redecorated and it feels a completely different place to a year ago. The rooms are clean and the service very good. Breakfast is excellent. Beware as usual when paying the bill not to chose the option to pay the bill in your local currency because as with many hotels they try make profit by having an exhorbitant exchange rate. They do allow the option to pay in sterling however.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear MFiVienna

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback on the Kensington Close hotel.

Thank you for noticing the changes, a lot of time and money has been spent on the hotel recently and there are still improvements being made.

Alas, the exchange rates charged when paying in foreign currency are set by the providers of the electronic financial transaction equipment. Although they can seem high to some, as there are no charges imposed by the card holders local bank (if the payment is made in their own currency), there are savings to be made, it is all dependent on which charges and exchange rates are implied by the card issuing bank.

I will be sure to pass on your praise to the team and we hope to see you again in the future