“Disappointed”

Ranked #618 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Ipswich, Australia
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel was my pre-tour accommodation, and despite its central location to all amenities and the tube station, I was glad that it was only for 1 night.
I arrived at the hotel early (early morning flight into London from Hong Kong), and was somewhat jetlagged, so I wasn't expecting a room straight away, but I was after decent service.
The check-in staff were average, not overly welcoming or friendly, and the concierge/porter staff were even worse - they were more interested in comparing tips and general chatting.
The room I ended up staying in was pretty much an oversized wardrobe.
Despite all of these negative comments, I did encounter some positives. The breakfast buffet was awesome, just what I needed for the start of a busy day. Plus, the staff I encountered in the restaurant were friendly and helpful.
Overall, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RedDevil1978
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear RedDevil1978

Thank you for your review, I will be sure to relay your comments to the relevant team members.

I’m sorry that you encountered some negative aspects during your stay, we will work on remedying them going forward. It was good to read that there were equally some positive aspects to the stay and that you left with a full stomach.

We are continually making improvements as we progress and do hope that you will join us again in the future to see that we really take your feedback on board.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Budgewoi, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is the second time we have stayed here, we were in a superior room but found it no different from a standard. Wi if was expensive I used free wi fi at the local pub or McDonald's . Tube station at top of street, breakfast included in tariff would stay there again it's convienent

Room Tip: Rooms are on the small side but are very clean and comfortable no complaints
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Charlene M,

Thank you for your return stay and feedback.

Just a quick note for future stay, our executive rooms are now inclusive of Wi-Fi and come with a few added extras including Molton Brown toiletries.

We’d love to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Nicely refurbished hotel In the heart of Kensington - we had a deluxe spacious corner room on the 5th floor which was very pleasant. Stayed here for 3 nights, first two were very quiet, the third was a little noisy with other guests banging doors. When we first arrived the reception staff were fast and efficient although they didn't explain the wifi but is in actual fact free in some rooms. When we got up to the room neither of the key cards worked. Luckily the house manager (Beatriz) for our floor was about and eventually let us in and we collected new cards when we went back down. We had breakfast each day which was okay but nothing out of the ordinary, the usual fare of full English, fruit and cereals. It would have been nice to have an omelet bar as nothing was cooked to order so sits in warming trays. There are lots of good restaurants nearby to have all meals so no need to eat here. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would probably come back due to its location.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear monkeyhoney52,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent say with us.

I was great to read that you enjoyed your room on the 5th floor, it’s a pity to hear that your last night was marred slightly by others making a noise, please note in future that a quick call to the Manager on Duty and we would have sent a member of the team to request them to keep the noise down.

It’s only recent that we have included Wi-Fi for all our Executive and Executive Club rooms and it’s something our Front Office team are still getting used to. I will pass on your comments to the Food & Beverage Manager with regards to the breakfast as this is an area where a lot of improvement has already been made and such feedback is useful in going forward.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have stayed here a number of times when working in London. The smartly dressed doorman takes your bag (no matter how small or large) and carries it to Reception. The reception staff have always been very friendly and although I had experienced a problem when booking the last time - I need a plug socket near to the bed for my CPAP machine, or an extension lead, and was told this wasn't possible - upon arrival, the reception staff had my request already and had allocated me an upgrade room. The room itself was really large, and I had a nice big comfy bed. The tea and coffee facilities are good, and the shower was powerful. The whole room itself was spotlessly clean and couldn't be faulted. The layout of the hotel is a bit like a maze and there are two lift areas on each floor. Breakfast was included in the rate and had a good selection of pastries, cereal, meat, cheese and fruit, with a self service hot breakfast too. I had to ask the waiter twice for milk for my tea, because it was not provided with the pot of tea, but other than that couldn't be faulted. This is on the whole a lovely hotel in a convenient location - lots of restaurants and bars nearby, supermarket and coffee shops. The tube station is just at the top of the road. Overall I would stay here happily and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Claire D
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay, I will be certain to pass on your comments to the team.

It’s great to read that the Reception were able to anticipate you needs following your previous stay and were able to provide you with a room which suited your needs.

Thank you for the recommendation and we do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was my first stay here, and first impressions were favourable. A friendly doorman, nice reception area and staff, goo location close to the Tube and Kensington high street.

My room was small, no view to speak of, unless you leant out the window and cricked your neck. The bed was comfortable but the usual pushing two beds together. The shower itself was good, but the bathroom had a cracked sink and a little mould on the door.

The hotel was primarily booked due to the pool and spa. It wasn't until closer inspection I discovered use of the pool was at an extra £8 each a time. I do not think this is reasonable for guests of the hotel to be charged this.

I booked into an executive room but had a discounted rate. I would be disappointed in this hotel if I had paid the full rate, but at a discount it was fine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Laura I
Thank you for your feedback on your visit, I will address the issues you had with the room with the Housekeeper and apologise for this oversight on their behalf.

I will pass on our compliments to the team and do hope that we will be able to welcome you back In the near future.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here two nights. Location of the hotel is great - just a few minutes' walk from the tube station and Kensington high street, restaurants and 15 minutes' walk to Kensington Palace. First impressions of the hotel are great - staff are friendly and courteous. Big thank you to the luggage boys who are very helpful and go out of their way to assist. We stayed in a standard room which is very cosy, as stated on their website. It can be extremely cosy! But it's ok if you don't plan to spend time in the room except to sleep, shower and leave your luggage, which probably didn't make us feel too bad about the size of the room. Hotel has been refurbished to a certain extent - I suppose they can do nothing about the size of the rooms or the well-used state of the bathrooms & toilets in the rooms. It's clean but quite outdated. Shower curtain in our bathroom was broken which resulted in water spilling all over the floor. Breakfast is ok, service was good. Concierge staff tend not to be at the desk so be prepared to wait if you need help - I showed up at the desk on 3 separate occasions and had to wait until someone came. On my last day I ordered a drink and a bar snack from the bar at the hotel. Had to send the snack back because there was hair mixed in with the salad that got served with my snack. Got put off from eating there. The server apologised and offered me a replacement, but I was put off already. No further apologies from the kitchen or any discount on my drink. Really spoilt my experience at the hotel and left me wondering about the standard of hygiene in the kitchen. Does breakfast get served from this same kitchen?? The hotel has a car park that is for hire per day so that is superb. Overall, I think the staff make this hotel a nice place to stay because they genuinely aim to please, the hotel physically is a bit run down but they try their best to keep it up to standard. You have to pay for wifi per day. First hotel I have stayed at in London that makes you pay for wifi. But then again, I have stayed at only 3 hotels in London. Our stay was ok enough but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 201Sheila
Dear 201Sheila,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay, I will be sure to pass on your thanks to the luggage boys. I will also pass on your concerns with regards to the other matters raised, I apologise to you for the shortfalls in service you experienced and assure you that they will be addressed.

Although there are a few rooms which are still a little outdated, we are near completion of an extensive refurbishment programme which will see the remainder of the bathrooms and bedrooms updated.

I sincerely hope you had an enjoyable trip back home and hope that we can entice you back if you travel this way again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This was my first stay here, and first impressions were favourable. Nice lobby, friendly doorman, close to High Street Kensington tube and plenty of local shops and restaurants.

Sadly, it went downhill from there. Unlike other reviewers, my room was large. There was no view to speak of, but the beds were comfy, and I slept well. The room itself however, was not always easy to get into - it could take easily 6/7 attempts to open the door. When I mentioned this to the reception,the response was a shrug, and a comment of 'it sometimes happens'. Not very helpful.

The shower itself was good, but the bathroom suffered from a little mould round the door frames and sink. On turning the shower on (which had a habit of soaking much of the bathroom), the curtain got sucked in - between that and the grab rail, there wasn't much space left, and involved some shower curtain wrestling in order to make a little room!

I was booked into an executive room, which included free wifi (usually £9.99 for 24 hours), Moulton brown bathroom stuff and water in the room... It took me until the last night to twig that I was in the wrong room type, despite being given the wifi vouchers. I queried this with reception, who confirmed that my room had been downgraded, but couldn't explain why - or why I hadn't been told. I will be emailing the duty manager for an explanation.

I spend most of each week in London, and stay in various hotels... However, this is one I shall now avoid, primarily due to the lack of satisfactory service.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CalamityJennifer
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear IkarusC42

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit.

May I apologise for the shortfalls you have experienced and the Duty manager will investigate the matter once your email is received (we cannot see the details of your stay here). Please email the details to: duty.manager@kensingtonclosehotel.com

It's great to read that you slept well and found the location favourable. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these London hotels