“Lovely hotel, lovely food and great location”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington
Ranked #616 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Lovely hotel, lovely food and great location”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at this hotel Friday 18th. Before we had arrived I had arrange a bottle of bubbly to be in our room as a surprise. I liaised with Monika the room service manager. She was extremely helpful and arrange my request. When we arrived we found difficulty finding the underground parking but there was someone outside to help us. We went to reception to check in who we had Monika to check us in. Monika was really welcoming asking us if we were here for a special occasion. Even tho we wasn't really it was just our first weekend away since having a baby she still had upgraded us to a executive room as she said it still a special occasion which was a really lovely surprise.
We found our room at ease as the hotel is well sign posted (if you did get lost you can always easily find someone who is more than happy to help you). When we entered the room too be honest my first fault was this is a pretty small room however it didn't bother me as we weren't cramped.

Our bottle of bubble was there as we had requested plus Monika (room service manager) had also arranged strawberries dipped in chocolate. Such a lovely surprise again! I did have to ring down to room service as only one glass had been given and too my surprise I actually spoke to Monika. She was really apologetic about it and we didn't have to wait long at all for the extra glass. Monika had actually personally came to our room to deliver the glass and also brought us some fruit for the mistake. She didn't need to but we are greatful as we did really enjoy it and I was very much impressed with the customer service.

My partner and I got ready to pop out for some cocktails whilst getting ready we ordered some room service for nibbles our starters. My partner ordered us the duck wraps and spring rolls. The food was AMAZING we literally licked the plate clean. Words actually can't describe how amazing the food was. Also the the food arrived prompt and didn't have to wait long at all. When me and my partner arrived back to the hotel we just wanted to lay in bed get our dinner and enjoy a film. I ordered the spag Bol and my partner ordered the beef burger also we actually got our film free due to a room service deal they have. Again I couldn't complain and they do not hold back on the portion sizes either.

That night was stupidly hot and sticky and we were greatful for the air conditioning, the bed we're comfy. We really did have a lovely night sleep it was defiantly what we needed.

We did upgrade for the breakfast which was really at a reasonable price considering it included everything. Again I couldn't fault the food at all. It was amazing they kept the buffet topped up and clean. The staff we're welcoming and we received a quick service.
The only gripe I have is that when we checked out and paid for the car parking the gentleman told us that he gave us a special price but he didn't it was a standard tariff as we saw the car park prices on a sign as we left. I would of been fine if he said that you been here for 12 hours so the cost is....... But this isn't major issue.

Overall this hotel is brilliant and I will defiantly stay here again. The staff are amazing, they all have brilliant customer service skills, all welcoming and always happy to help you.

The food is amazing. Cannot fault it at all.

The location is perfect.

Rooms are clean and comfortable.
The money we paid was reasonable and we defiantly got more for our money.

Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so relaxing :-)

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Skye0503
Riikka G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Skye0503

Thank you for staying with us at Kensington Close hotel!

I am most delighted to learn we provided you with well deserved rest and with a great service, especially on Monika’s part! I will be forwarding this to her as it is most lovely to hear when our staff works hard and receives a compliment!

Thank you again for the review, I would love to welcome you back in the future!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We picked this hotel to stay at for our honeymoon. I had previously emailed them and asked how much car parking was (which was £32 each night but Sundays are free on the street which they never stated. Luckily we never did book it. I suggest you sort that out on the day. There is another hotel next door that also has parking, so lots of spaces) and stated that it was our honeymoon and that we was looking forward to our stay. When we got there the hotel lobby and bar looked lovely. I mentioned that it was our honeymoon again and nothing was done over the 2 days to help make our stay that extra bit special. We booked an executive room which is basically a standard room in any other hotel. It was Very small but had a nice bathroom. I think You pay extra for the tiny molton brown products! We had no gowns in our room. On our last day we thought it would be nice to go for a swim and sauna but we were expected to pay £8 each. I have never ever stayed at any hotel let alone one in London (and we have stayed at lots)where you have to pay to use the pool. Again said it was our honeymoon and that we was a little disappointed. There were only 2 people in the whole of the leisure facility! All in all I would visit the bar again but would not stay here. There are better hotels for the price we paid and you get free breakfast, use of facilities and a bigger room for what we paid

Room Tip: If you have the money pay for a suite at another hotel. Executive rooms are tiny
Dear Beck E

Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay with us.

Although the rooms can be described as cosy, we make an effort to keep to the highest standard, and I am glad you noticed the Molton Brown products in the room!

I’m very disappointed to hear that we couldn’t make your stay special! Please be assured that this is not the level of service we usually aim for, and your experience and feedback will be discussed with the Front of House Manager to ensure the highest possible service.

I would like to discuss this further with you, if you would be kind enough to contact me in guest.relations@kensingtonclosehotel.com

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Location nice at Kensington main street
5 minutes walk from metro
Some nice shops near the hotel and famous Harrods ten minutes away by bus
Hotel looks nice from outside and lobby is modern
Rooms are very small, old and basic
No bath in our room, only shower
Bed was very spring
Breakfast buffet very bad compared to Hong Kong hotels
Expensive (GBP150 every night)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Riikka G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Ka Fai L

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel.

I am happy to hear you made use of our very convenient location!
Our Executive Club rooms are recently refurbished and would provide more comfort over the stay. There are still some rooms that are undergoing a soft refurbishment to ensure even higher standard.

We appreciate your feedback as it ensures our constant improvement.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I am wondering if we stayed at a different hotel to recent reviews! We stayed Friday and Saturday night after booking a 'secret hotel' on Lastminute.com. We were apprehensive looking at the reviews however the Hotel was spotless, staff are extremely helpful and clearly customer focused. We were upgraded and whilst not the largest room it was completely adequate and more than we expected for Central London. We ate in the Restaurant one evening and staff were very good. Perfect location minutes from Kensington a High Street and tube. We are very particular but could find nothing to fault.......fab weekend.

Dear Rachel S

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us; as well as made use of the restaurant! It is lovely to hear that the staff was attentive and gave you a great experience. This is something we have been striving for!

Hopefully we will get to welcome you back in the near future!

Mentone, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Booked/paid for an executive twin room in advance. When we checked in had to remind Staff member that it was an executive twin not a standard twin as he allocated standard (don't they have this info in their booking or was he being shifty trying to downgrade us?) He advised that a twin wasn't available but he would arrange for our bed to be changed to twin beds (by splitting mattress). Didn't happen, when I rang housekeeping the following morning to follow up we were advised this was impossible and we would have to change rooms (my daughter was unwell at this point so we didn't bother). We arrived at the same same as a tour group so we had no help getting our luggage to our room.

Gym is overpriced at £8 per day, no fridge in room however bathroom was lovely - face washers are not provided in English hotels apparently. Beds are comfy - despite sharing, not enough storage room for luggage however. Good location, close to tube station and good variety of food nearby. They could do with changing the breakfast menu - same everyday - the fabulous English bacon I had been told about is leathery at best.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Harty5

Thank you for staying with us.

I was quite concerned to hear of your experience with the Front Desk as this is not the usual high standard we carry out. Only some of the Executive rooms can be twinned therefore please accept my sincere apology as it was our oversight for not being able to provide this to you. I have shared your feedback with the Front of House Manager and the Concierge team to make certain these incidents will not happen in the future.

I am happy to hear you did enjoy the area and made use of the location! Furthermore I’m sure you will appreciate that the charges for the Gym and Leisure centre are quite competitive in this area.

Thank you again for the feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

For visiting all the major tourist hotspots in London the location of this hotel is perfect and they've done a fantastic job re-decorating all the communal areas - the lobby etc is lovely. But what was really special is that I mentioned in my booking that it was for a special birthday and they upgraded our room and left a Birthday card and welcome letter and some other goodies in the room for us. It was really thoughtful and made the visit all the more special. Its very unusual at these big hotels were you don't tend to get a personal service so I was really impressed and would stay here again in a heartbeat. Thankyou Kensington Close for a lovely weekend at your beautiful hotel!

2 Thank Sarah M
Dear Sarah M

Thank you for choosing Kensington Close hotel on you special day!

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your weekend with us and that we were able to make it a bit more special as well!

We would be delighted to welcome you back in the future!

NJ
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed two separate occasions over two weeks. The first room we stayed in for two nights. After all the renovations, I am surprised they did not put a ramp up to the lobby. As I have back problems and my wife has knee problems, we cannot lift anything. I had to drag my suitcase up the stairs as the bell man watched me. Check in was ok.

The first room was not renovated-broken tiles floor to ceiling. The shower curtain had obviously been broken to the point that it needed to be replaced with something else that did not cover the tub properly as water went everywhere. The shower pressure was very strong, I finally realized I could reduce it just by turning it down. The water is incredibly soft, so it can take a while to feel like you have rinsed the soap off. Other hotels nearby, I never had that problem. I am surprised that there aren't any clogs with the water being soo soft. The toilet just did not seem to flush. The beds were pretty lumpy and hard. Even though it was cool outside, I did not need the heavy comforter as it was just too warm, but without it I was too cold. I think a sheet would of been find, but there was nothing in the room. My wife seemed to think that they had them previously and were trying to save money by not needing to wash more items.

On the second occasion, we did get a renovated room, but it was the same dirty carpeting. I could see a lot of dust flying in the air in the bright sunlight even after the maid had come. I woke up nearly every day with clogged sinuses. The air conditioning was plenty cold as it blew on me all night long. Though if we increased the temperature, it sensed to increase, but never seemed to come back on. It could of been our own internal body temperature as it did seem to eventually come back on one time. The bathroom sink is soo small that you have to use it very carefully as water will come at you and on the floor. Again, we had same problem with comforter being too warm and too cold without. As there was only one way to get into bed, it was lop sided and when laying in it, you really could feel it and I would find my warm sliding down making my chest feel like it's getting squashed by the weight of the arm. I thought about turning the mattress over, but never got around to it.

As far as the rate, it was not the greatest, the breakfast was an option, but very expensive. In previous stays it was worth it. Alas, we ended up getting the in room breakfast to save time a couple days. They brought it on the times asked for. The food was pretty good. One time we went to the cafe in lobby and was going to buy light breakfast and stood there for 30 seconds, but no one came. So we left and went up to the corner coffee shops.

Perhaps the biggest annoyance was that I got wifi and proceeded to connect to my corporate VPN. I could not connect, but the internet worked fine. I googled the error, but the problem seemed to be firewall or proxy related. At least I was able to connect to the vpn tethered to my phone. I called Guest Services and eventually a technician came up. He said he had no idea and would have the IT Manager call me. A day or so went by and I never received call from them. I kept trying, but never received a phone call back. I ended up never getting wifi again because of the problems--my phone was working fine and a lot less hassle. I stayed at other hotels and have never had a problem. Also, other hotels did not charge for wifi, so it befuddles me why I should pay for it.

We did go to the lounge / bar a couple times. Service was pretty good, but at one point to make life easier for the waiters (waitrisses) when it was busy, I ended up getting up and ordering another drink. The food (fish) seemed a little greasy, but was ok otherwise.

A couple of times we were in a queue in the lobby and somehow people jumped in front of us. This was both for concierge and reservations desk. Maybe there ought to be a queue signs and ropes?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear NjFuzzy

First of all thank you very much for your feedback. I am glad to hear you have tried and enjoyed the services of Kensington Close hotel and found the staff helpful.

I do apologise for your experience in the rooms. As we are finally reaching the end of the lengthy refurbishment, some of the rooms are still under soft refurbishment and we are changing the carpets and the mattresses as we speak. Your feedback has been passed on to the Rooms Division and only this kind of feedback can get us further and towards the service we’re trying to obtain.

At the moment our Internet connection has been outsourced and therefore some of the sites where trying to connect can be blocked. Please be assured that we are working to resolve this issue.

Once again, thank you for your comments as they have been most helpful, and will be presented to the right departments.

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these London hotels