“Pleasant hotel in A nice area,,”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #607 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Sollentuna
“Pleasant hotel in A nice area,,”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I like this hotel. It's big, but friendly. The staff does a really good job. The reviews from the past are not correct compared to what the hotel is today. The area around the hotel is very nice, with quite a lot of pubs within walking-distance. Also very close to good shopping, buses and underground station. I have stayed in different rooms and the single-rooms are very single, i.e. very small. The only bad thing I can think of is that there is no fridge or minibars in the rooms, except for the most expensive rooms. I think a 4-star hotel ought to have that in all rooms.

Room Tip: The single rooms are small. Upgrade and take a double room. It's worth it...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank bo_andersson
Riikka G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear bo_andersson

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel.

It is wonderful to hear you had a lovely stay with us! If your travels lead back to us, please mention when making the reservation that you wish to have a fridge in the room, and we’ll organize it for you!

I will most certainly pass your comments of the staff to the departments as we have been improving from past!

Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to see you soon!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed here for 1 night and I was glad I didn't book for more nights. Very small single bedroom with stained carpet. Really not worth the price. The bathroom was so small, a bigger person than me wouldn't fit on the toilet (literally would be squished between two walls). Bad lighting in the bedroom and bathroom.
Big hotel where a lot of groups stay, so you might have long lines at reception. When I was finally helped I got the key, but when I arrived at my room (10 min walk through very long hallways) the key didn't work. Had to go back to reception with all my luggage and got a half-hearted apology.
Some of the staff (porters, cleaning) hardly speak English and with a very heavy accent.
The lounge areas are very nicely updated and look luxurious. The location is good. In the heart of Kensington and close to the tube.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Inge_Marlies

Thank you for your stay with us.

As we have just finished major refurbishment, we are still soft refurbishing the rooms. However, I’m happy to see you noticed our newly refurbished lobby! Some of our rooms can be truly described cosy, however our Executive rooms offer more comfort, especially if staying longer.

We are continually making improvements as we progress and do hope that you will join us again in the future to see that we really take your feedback on board.

Oslo
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel itself is ok. Location as well. What is the real problem with this hotel is all the extra they charge you for. 12 pounds for a less than average breakfast, 9.95 per day for internet-connection and not even free internet in the lobby! They promote their swimming-pool, only to charge you 8 pounds for a swim!!
I go to London 3-4 times a year, but this feels like the biggest rip-off. Not really because of the standard of th hotel, but because of those unneccesary "details" that makes the stay more expencive, but the price of the rooms. And it gives you a general an annoying feeling of the stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SveinBjorge
Dear SveinBjorge

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel.

I’m sorry to hear you had negative aspects on your stay; however I’m sure you will appreciate that most of the extra “details” mentioned are not so uncommon in most of London's hotels.

We do have a computer at the Lounge which can be used complimentary. Our website also lists all amenities, and as we do promote for the Leisure Centre we do clearly mention the quite reasonable charge for one of the largest pools in this area. I do apologise for us not communicating these first thing on your stay. If you decide to come back in the future, please note that our Executive and Executive Club rooms do come with a complimentary Wi-Fi, access to the Leisure Centre and Spa and luxurious Molton Brown products.

Breakfast has come a long way from what it was and a lot of effort has been placed on service, with such feedback we can now review and look at the offering.

Thank you for your feedback, your comments will be shared with the team to develop going forward!

Nelson Bay, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife stayed here for a total of 4 nights.
The first one was for the conclusion of a coach tour & this room was a bit small but suitable.
Then she went to Paris & on her return to London stayed again, this time in a deluxe room.
She said this room was great, roomy & comfortable.
There was a small problem from contractors outside the hotel , that severed the power to the hotel
The staff at the hotel were excellent & sorted things out for her. So a big thank you to all concerned

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room they are roomier.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank KenShadler
Dear KenShadler

I am glad to hear your wife had a wonderful time here with us. I will pass on your feedback in regards the staff and the rooms; as it is great to hear that the stay was comfortable and the staff helpful!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us feedback, hopefully we can welcome you both back in the future!

Bayside, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a great stay at the Kensington Close hotel. The concierge desk was extremely helpful and friendly. For single person - room was fine and bed was extremely comfortable. Great location for just sleeping - you don't spend so much time in your room but it was still comfortable. At first my door card didn't work so I had to get a new one right after I checked so just a little glitch in but problem was solved in appropriate length of time. I chose this hotel for 2 nights before my cruise (June 22-24) and the price was right when you book far enough in advance.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear msg621

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel and for the lovely feedback!

Our Concirege Team is truly wonderful and willing to help at any occasion. I was happy to read that Reception managed to resolve your issue in time! I will gladly pass your feedback on both departments. It is also great to hear you had a good night sleep on our new mattresses!

Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The full half: great location - 2 minutes away from Kensington high street tube station, 5 minutes away from Kensington gardens and Hyde park, Royal Albert hall and many other attraction near by.
The empty half: the Hotel feels (looks and smells) like the 80's. it isn't necessarily a bad odor or decoration rather a tad over aged.
our double room was small. i'd say no more than 15 sqm. the shower (there was no bath in our room) was quite basic and water current not strong enough.
I've stayed one night in a single room which was not much smaller than the double and in many ways felt better - it had a bath and in general felt newer.
there are many groups in this hotel - since it is pretty big. therefore sometimes the reception/elevators etc' were too busy.

it wasn't too expensive (London-wise) but not cheap either.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ron D

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel.

I’m glad you were able to make of use of our great location!

I’m sorry to hear that our newly refurbished lobby wasn’t to your liking. The sizes and amenities of rooms have been stated on our website, at the moment we are refurbishing the bathrooms. Bath can be requested when making the reservation and for more comfort I can recommend our Executive rooms as they are spacious and a great option for a longer stay!

Thank you very much for your feedback, hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the future!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you grew up in a shoebox this is the place for you! Do not stay in room 139! We were told on our arrival that we were being upgraded from a standard to a deluxe. Yoo Hoo we though! Excited !
Our room was tiny, dark and tired! It was depressing! We did not spend much time there, only to sleep in the two single beds pushed together which I fell between twice on the first night . Our tiny windows were in the corner of our angled room. Breakfast was normal buffet, the rest we cannot fairly comment on! Staff ok!
This hotel was such a disappointment but having heard other guests complain, it is not a surprise now!

Room Tip: Give 139 a miss!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane K
Riikka G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Jane K

Please accept my apologies over your stay! Room 139 is actually a Standard room and not a Deluxe as you had been informed. This is truly not the standard we are striving for and I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further, if you would kindly contact me directly on guest.relations@kensingtonclosehotel.com.

Thank you again of your feedback, it will most certainly be passed on to the right departments.