“Location great ... Service not so”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington
Ranked #620 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Mackay
“Location great ... Service not so”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Having arrived from another London hotel where we received great assistance, this hotel paled by comparison. The location is great being just up the road from Kensington High Street and the railway station but the room was definitely not 4 star. We were told that they had put us in one of their refurbished rooms. If that's the case, I wouldn't want to be in one of the others.

We had no assistance with luggage on arrival, although on departure the concierge was helpful in obtaining a cab for us and we could get an earlier breakfast as we were leaving early.

Apart from this, our experience at this hotel was average to say the least.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Riikka G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Paul R

Thank you for choosing Kensington Close hotel for your recent stay.

It’s great to see that you enjoyed the area and that the Concierge team was helpful to you! As I cannot say with certainty which room category you were staying in, I can only recommend the Executive Club rooms as they offer more comfort and come with great amenities such as the Molton Brown toiletries.

I’m sorry that you encountered some negative aspects during your stay, however only this kind of feedback will ensure going forward and to help to deliver the high standard service we are striving for.

It would be great to have you back in the future to see your comments have been taken on board!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived after 24 hours of flying to find we had been put in a tiny little room with two single beds, a putrid mildew smell and a great view of broken beer bottles on the roof outside the window. I went straight to the desk and asked for another room. To the concierges credit he immediately rectified this. We still had a tiny room but it was clean, comfortable and had a decent view. The hotel is dated and some staff are incredibly curt but it is in Kensington. On the positive the breakfast was fantastic! This hotel is used by Globus travel. Not a great start!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mark T

Thank you for your feedback on you recent stay.

I am delighted to read that we were able to help you straight away when you felt the need to change the room! We are currently in the middle of soft refurbishing the rooms and I am glad you noticed to comforts of the rooms as well as the hard work Housekeeping is doing to ensure high standards!

Breakfast has come a long way from what it was and a lot of effort has been placed on service, therefore it is great to hear you loved it!

Thank you again for your feedback; it is appreciated to ensure a better quality service in the future!

Kindest regards

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked this as a last minute break this weekend. The executive room was small to say the least so I feel sorry for anyone in a normal double. We tried to upgrade but they said the hotel was full. Was very noisy at night so we had two nights broken sleep (and are used to living on a main road in a city!) They seem to fill it up with coach parties and flight crew who get a buffet meal in the evening as opposed to the very expensive a la carte menu. There was only one vegetarian starter and one main and we wished we'd arrived in time to go out to eat. The staff were mostly very unhelpful, lots of them about visibly but not really interested in any sort of feedback. The towels are either very poor quality or very old, ie thin and scratchy. We wished we'd booked into a Premier Inn or similar as this was more expensive but very no frills. Pool was ok but you have to pay £8 for using it. We won't be going back. Best thing about it was the location - we had room only so could go to Wholefoods or similar for breakfast at much cheaper cost and better food.

Room Tip: No idea, we thought we'd get a better room with an executive one but no. View of another hotel...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jojosilver

Thank you for your feedback on you recent stay.

I am sorry to hear you were disappointed of the room size however I can assure you that the rooms are competitive in size for central London. We have been fully booked for most of the weekends and it is a shame you couldn’t upgrade to the newly furbished Executive Club rooms!

Please be assured that your feedback is taken seriously and I was most concerned to learn you felt that you were not been heard while staying with us! This will be discussed with the Management to ensure training for better service through out the departments!

It is through such feedback that we are given an opportunity to evaluate our performance, and focus on the areas that need to be addressed, ensuring we deliver the standard of service that our guests have come to expect from us.

Washington
Reviewed 18 August 2014

OK,

so we had never gone to Europe before and we arrived at Heathrow late. We took the long taxi ride to Kensington to the Kensington Close Hotel. During the night you see buildings and neighborhoods but not much else. The morning was much different. We saw the practice fields for the Palace Guards on horseback; museums, and historic sights as you venture into downtown London towards Westminister.

We did not know the room key is also the control to the lights. I went downstairs after checking in and complained that the lights did not work. The person at the desk (I think she was from Paris) sent maintenance up to check it out. I went back up and still could not work the lights. After about three exchanges like this they finally came up with me and showed me how to use the lights.

The bar area is really nice, but dimly lit. We had one drink then off to bed. It was a nice restful stay and we had to try to get as much of London behind us the next day and jump on Eurostar from Saint Pancras station the next day.

There was a bellman out front that hailed us a taxi and gave us a quick run down on how to maximize our day in London before we departed for Paris.

Room Tip: If you travel from US make sure you have a power converter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mike G

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel!

I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay and the closeness of the main attractions to the hotel!

Even more wonderful it is to hear the staff took your questions of lights seriously and provided you the help needed! I must agree that sometimes it can be quite tricky to pin point even the simplest solution! It is great this didn’t hinder your experience with us!

The bar area does have a nice atmosphere and the lighting can be quite dim but I am sure you will appreciate that this is to add to the atmosphere!

The Concierge truly is helpful and their knowledge of London is brilliant!

We hope to welcome you back if your travels lead back to London!

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

There are multiple positives to staying at Kensington Close- 1) location - great access to the Tube Station & all that the High Street offers; 2) very clean; & 3) great breakfast included. Not as great- 1) front desk staff very stiff, not very friendly but other staff very personable. Concierge Peter was amazing; he was able to get us last minute tickets to The Commitments
2) Wifi is expensive & limited to one device per room; 3) lifts aka elevators are very small & limited in number.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Beth B
Dear Beth B

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel!

I am glad you found our location fantastic; the hotel is very close to the Tube Station and also a short walk from the main Museums! I am most pleased to pass your comments in regards cleanliness as the Housekeeping works hard to maintain a high standard! I am sorry to hear the service in Reception was not the same standard as everywhere else in the hotel and I will bring this up to Managements attention to ensure staff training!

However, it was lovely to read that Peter in Concierge got you tickets last minute! I will most definitely let him know of your praise!

Eventhough the lifts are quite cosy, there are 7 of them, and this usually helps congestion when the hotel is busy. I’m sorry this wasn’t communicated to you while you were staying with us! I understand your comments in regards the Wi-Fi. However, we do have complimentary computers in the Lobby for guest use and with our Executive rooms the Wi-Fi is complimentary!

Thank you again for your feedback, it is most valued to ensure customer satisfaction in the future!

New Jersey
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Breakfast was very good and the waitstaff were very pleasant and extememly accommodating. Hotel location is walking distance to public transportation, pubs and several attractions. However, our room was very small with noticeable paint chips and tile cracks. Concierge hospitality and accuracy of information varied according to who was at the desk. There were 2 public computers available but only one worked. Expect to pay a stiff convenience charge for WiFi. Overall very disapointing.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Riikka G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear trippinbillies

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel.

I am sure you will appreciate that as some of our rooms can be described as cosy, they are still quite competitive in size with London hotels. However, our newly refurbished Executive rooms do offer more space and comfort, and with a special offer the room includes complimentary Wi-Fi as well as luxurious Molton Brown products! I will pass on the comments to the Management in regards Concierge to ensure further training!

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback, it is greatly appreciated to ensure going forward.

Northampton
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked a room at your hotel for the 12th of august to stay for 2 nights. I booked through groupon and when I did this everything seemed to be in order. I got a conformation email saying thank you for my booking, and was told to print it out for my records. When I turned up to the hotel on the 12th I gave them the email print out to check in with, and to my astonishment I was told that the room had been cancelled the day after the booking was made. As to whether this was the groupon company who cancelled this or mistake yourselves has made was very unclear! I had never been told this by phone or email. My partner then asked if there was anything they could do and the reply was no I'm afraid not. Which was really very helpful as we were then out on the streets for many hours trying to find somewhere else to stay. I would of appreciated a lot more help and guidance for another hotel and I didn't get a good clear enough explanation as to what had gone wrong. I would appreciate an explanation as to what went wrong and why we didn't get any help very soon.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank abird23
Dear abird23

Thank you for your feedback.

Please be assured that I am currently investigating the matter, and I will be in contact with you shortly.

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these London hotels