“Great hotel”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #606 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights and were very impressed with our choice. Perfect location, all the amenities we could ask for, clean and polite service.
Initially when we arrived we had a minor issue where we had booked an executive double room, but got given a standard. The lady gave us the executive for one night and told us we'd have to pay the difference for the other nights even though we were under the impression we had already paid for the exec. We felt a little let down until a lovely man Aytug I think his name was, cleared it all up for us and made our experience a very pleasant one. Breakfast was really good with a decent variety. I'd definitely recommend this hotel

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danielle Y
Riikka G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Danielle Y

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us! It is great to read that Aytug was able to assist you and give you the service we strive for! I will most definitely let him know of your kind words.

I will also pass on your comment in regards the breakfast and the housekeeping staff as we work hard to keep up high standards and that to be noticed is absolutely wonderful!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel in August, 2014. I was traveling with my grandchildren and had hoped for a much better experience. If not for my grandchildren and that this was the start of our trip, I would have left. The room was too small to accomodate the 3 beds. The shower was so bad that the entire bathroom got wet when you showered. The charges for wi-fi were outrageous. Don't stay.

Room Tip: Insist on some of their updated rooms with stall showers.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ted S

Dear Ted S

I’m sorry to hear your stay wasn’t to your liking. A quick call to reception could have resulted to a different room as well as we do offer upgrades with a small fee. Also the room dimensions are listed on the room descriptions on our website to enable an informed choice when booking.

I would recommend Executive rooms when booking a room for three people as this will provide more comfort. Executive room also have Wi-Fi included as well as other great amenities.

Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed four nights here. I don't think I would have wanted to stay any longer (see comment re bed below). We booked via Agoda about six months in advance and paid roughly AUD$160 a night for an executive room. To summarise:

Pros
- the location is fantastic. It is just behind High Street Kensington tube station, and about a three minute walk. There is a tesco and whole foods market very close by. We would get some breakfast from whole foods and go and sit in Kensington Gardens.
- the executive room came with free WiFi which worked well.
- the room had been refurbished and was clean. It was by no means luxurious and the bathroom was basically closet sized, but for what we paid there are definitely no complaints. It was similarly furnished to Travelodge standards.
- although there was a 8pound charge to use the gym, the equipment was new.

Cons
- the bed was very soft and it was extrremely sunken in thr middle in the room we had (273), so much so I felt like I was sleeping on a slope.
- there was no view, we overlooked someone's roof and into other rooms

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zerohero9
Riikka G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear zerohero9

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel!

I am glad you took an advantage of the closeness of the Underground station as well as the Kensington Gardens! The Executive rooms do come with a complimentary Wi-Fi as well as other great amenities, and it is great to read you enjoyed the Gym!

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the bed! I’m sure with a quick call to Reception we could have been able to resolve the issue and maybe even a higher floor! However, the hotels surroundings are very quaint and Kensington Gardens is beautiful place to spend the Afternoon!

Thank you again for taking the time to write us a detailed feedback, hopefully we will see you again if your travels lead back to London!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed on business for 3 nights, the hotel is in a very good location, close to the tube station and Kensington high street. The single room was small but very clean and well presented with plenty of storage space. I had an incident with the non slip rubber mat in the bath whilst taking a shower, it would be a good idea if they displayed a caution sign on the potential hazard. Breakfast was buffet style and of very good quality. I would definitely stay again in the future and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jane B

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel!

Although our rooms can be described as cosy, we make every effort to maintain them to the highest standards possible and I thank you for noticing this! The right department will be notified in regards the alleged incident to ensure better guest satisfaction.

Thank you for taking the time to write us your feedback! We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We were excited about staying pre paying some $275.00 per night for 5 nights. The room offered was a twin share for a married couple. The room was barly large enough for one bed let alone 2. I could just fit my size 8foot between the wall and the bed. We protested stongly and were given a disable service room which was good because of the extra space required. It was a 10 minute bunfight which should not have been necessary. Wifi was charged at the exorbitant fee of 10 pounds per day. They said this was not unusual. That is not so as we have now stayed at some 17 hotels now and they were the only ones to charge. It is a free service at the Novetal in Hammersmith for example.
Any addition service had a fee. We rerquested some ice and they wanted 3 pounds to bring it to our room. It was free of charge if we collected ourselves.
The TV sound often broke up and stuttered. A bed lamp never worked.
It is close to the tube on High Street Kensington and shops, eateries and other services such as a pharmacy, supermarket, banks etc. However other hotels have similar convenience. To use the pool was a further charge as well.
Niot impressed really and would not stay again. If you plan to stay there, ensure your room selection and complain if not happy and stand your ground as a common out is " we are full" !!!!

Room Tip: Inner rooms are quiet but see it first before accepting and going up with your bags.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William P

Dear William P

Thank you for taking the time to write us your feedback.

The room sizes are clearly displayed on our website as well as the cost of Wi-Fi and using the Leisure Centre and Spa. I am sure you will appreciate that the rates offered are competitive with other hotels in Central London. Nevertheless, special offers for the Executive rooms which come with complimentary Wi-Fi and access to the Leisure Centre and Spa as well as other great amenities, can be found on our website!

As the hotel is full quite often, the option to change a room can take a bit longer when trying to find the best solution for everyone. I am happy to hear the Reception team worked as quickly as possible to ensure you a room to your liking. I am glad you did enjoy the space the room had to offer as well as the hotels location!

Please be assured your comments will be shared with the Management to ensure going forward!

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

When I checked in it took them some time as they had not got the information to hand. My Room was very clean with a hairdryer, mini-bar, molton brown toiletries and a bath robe. The Hotel has 24h room service which was amazing. The view could be better but apart from that it was a great city hotel

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear 30011999

Thank you for choosing Kensington Close hotel for your recent stay!

I am glad to read you enjoyed the lovely amenities in the Executive rooms! The Molton Brown toiletries do bring luxury to every day life. I am delighted of your appreciation of the 24 hour Room Service and will pass on your good comments to the Management!

Thank you again for your feedback, I hope to welcome you back in the future and maybe we will be able to allocate you a room on the higher floor for a better view!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Having arrived from another London hotel where we received great assistance, this hotel paled by comparison. The location is great being just up the road from Kensington High Street and the railway station but the room was definitely not 4 star. We were told that they had put us in one of their refurbished rooms. If that's the case, I wouldn't want to be in one of the others.

We had no assistance with luggage on arrival, although on departure the concierge was helpful in obtaining a cab for us and we could get an earlier breakfast as we were leaving early.

Apart from this, our experience at this hotel was average to say the least.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Riikka G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Paul R

Thank you for choosing Kensington Close hotel for your recent stay.

It’s great to see that you enjoyed the area and that the Concierge team was helpful to you! As I cannot say with certainty which room category you were staying in, I can only recommend the Executive Club rooms as they offer more comfort and come with great amenities such as the Molton Brown toiletries.

I’m sorry that you encountered some negative aspects during your stay, however only this kind of feedback will ensure going forward and to help to deliver the high standard service we are striving for.

It would be great to have you back in the future to see your comments have been taken on board!